E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tips on getting stuck alloys off rusty E90/E91 hubs

02-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
///ajd
Colonel

Drives: BMW 330d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

Still stick to my method, loosen the bolts 1 turn and put the car back on the floor and roll it back and forth, this will part the hub and wheel, and its what any mechanic or tyre remover would do, perfectly safe!
Or use the method in the OP which is better (having tried both) and safer.....
100,000 miles
///ajd is offline   France
      02-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
JDLM
Banned

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

JDLM is offline   United_States
      02-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #25
SoYank
Major General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Actually, a deadblow hammer will work much better. It won't bounce as much.
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
SoYank is offline   United_States
      02-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #26
Gixxer335iCoupe
First Lieutenant

Drives: Over Slow Children at Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Any car with alloy wheels and steel hubs (most cars then) suffers from this, nothing to do with BMW, and the use of bolts rather than studs is common place these days, so its the same technique as with most other cars - just line up the holes by eye as you put the wheel back on - not rocket science! If its a bit of just roll the rim to move it round a little.

The sticking is excacerbated by long service intervals and no requirement to remove wheels unless brakes pads are being changed any more.

Lots of cars are 3 or 4 years old before they EVER have a wheel removed - thus they stick like shit to a blanket..

Still stick to my method, loosen the bolts 1 turn and put the car back on the floor and roll it back and forth, this will part the hub and wheel, and its what any mechanic or tyre remover would do, perfectly safe!
I changed the brakes on my wife's lexus a couple of weeks ago (alloy wheels and steel hub) and I had no problem removing the wheel at all. Also, re-installing them was much easier since the studs easily aligned to the wheel, rather than having to fish around for the proper hole.

The issue with the BMW is the round steel cup on the hub that is received by the hole in the wheel rusts and expands creating a wedging effect and making it difficult to remove.

Either there is a weight/cost savings for BMW or it is a bad design.