E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMS Cabin Filter

05-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
jwebb335xi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

BMS Cabin Filter

Hey guys,

It seems i've been under the hood of my car every week as of late. I can't stand that it takes 10 to 15 minutes to remove cabin filter, cowl, ECU and Master Cylinder covers just to get to the engine cover. I need new cabin filters (not changed in about 3 years), so I was thinking about the BMS cabin filters, which would save a few minutes time when working under the hood.

(1) do they pose a problem in rainy environments, car washes, etc...?

(2) do they really save much time?

(3) is their a "cowl delete" option that would allow for ECU and Master Cylinder protection, but quick access to the engine cover, etc...?

Thanks for your thoughts?

Pro-tuned Cobb| 93 Octane| Alpina B3| CP-E Downpipes| ETS FMIC| ER Charge Pipe| Forge Diverter Valves| Apex EC-7| Pilot Super Sports (255/35/18).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
GATORB8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
Hey guys,

It seems i've been under the hood of my car every week as of late. I can't stand that it takes 10 to 15 minutes to remove cabin filter, cowl, ECU and Master Cylinder covers just to get to the engine cover. I need new cabin filters (not changed in about 3 years), so I was thinking about the BMS cabin filters, which would save a few minutes time when working under the hood.

(3) is their a "cowl delete" option that would allow for ECU and Master Cylinder protection, but quick access to the engine cover, etc...?

M3 Cowl: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228781
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Black n54is
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is MT

Quote:
Hey guys,

1. Never had an issue
2. Yes....however much time it's taking you to remove all that
3. M3 cowl
'11 335is MT BSM/Black | NAV | Premium | Convenience | Cold | HK | MHD | Cobb FMIC | Cobb CP | Cobb DP | aFe stage 2 SI | TurboSmart Dual Ports | BMS OCC | RB PCV Valve | Turner Spacers | Michelin PSS | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Front Lip | BMW Performance ///M Wheel | Sprint Booster | remoteKEY+
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
blown07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Hey guys,

I just leave the 2 back screws off the engine cover so it can easily be removed without taking the cowl off. I personally can't stand the engine noise with the cowl removed when driving.
      05-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
Randomaccess335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335I

Other then the cover that covers the injectors spark plugs area I leave the rest off while I was in the middle of doing some upgrades and maintenance I left my ECu box uncovered made a big mistake and rinsed off my car and filled my ECU with water luckily I was able to open it up dry it out everything was fine but if you're ECU box is covered and is secure there are no issues

JB4 G5 ISO , BMS DCI's, Stock Guted DP's, DO Meth kit Trunk Mount, ETS 5" Intercooler, M6 Rims, ER Charge Pipe, Fordged DV's
Cybe 3.8" chrome Tips, Lux Angel Eyes
**********12.07 @ 116***1.99 60'**********
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
MAN15H
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door Auto MSport

Hi All,

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask my question here. hope the OP doesn’t mind.

Just went to fit my BMS Cowl Filters and I noticed that on my 335i the driver’s side has a sensor which as per the BMS instructions say can be cable tied someone else once the cowl has been removed, however the passenger side doesn’t have another sensor but instead has a push switch which I guess tells the car when the bonnet is open or closed. Maybe part of the alarm anyway I can’t just cable tie that anywhere else it needs to be in the right place to allow the bonnet to push the switch when it closed... so where has everyone else placed that switch when they fit these filters and remove the cowl as the main mounting for that switch is moulded on the cowl on my car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
Gohan335i7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [5.00]
🤘😝🤘
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:54 AM   #8
dawhiz
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi RB/inlets/etc

More fogging when it rains. Of course my a/c seals need to be replaced & it needs to be refilled. However, back to factory cowl and it's not even an issue any longer. 1-5% of what it was. Very rare.
Appreciate 0