E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bmw Performance Exhaust Review (pictures & Video)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #45
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
645Nm's Avatar
South Africa
11
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: sapphire black 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nomad

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
There is NO valve in the US version. There is only a small welded on piece of metal on which you jam the vaccuum hose, to simply give it somewhere to go. The US one is all loud, all the time. Loud is a relative term, of course.
I would have preffered the US version...I removed the vaccuum pipe today and yes, the sound is louder when revd..now to find a clip to keep the hose closed off...
__________________

JB4. 15ohm /Catless DPs/BMS DCI/BHS Oil Catch Can/RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit/CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & DV's/DREAMLIST:Upgraded Turbos
REVIEWS: Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol//BMW Performance Exhaust//RPI Intercooler//Race Camara Mount
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #46
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
139
Rep
10,169
Posts

 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Nice write-up. A before (stock) and after (BMW Perf) video would be really useful for someone to do -- same car, place, video equipment.

I can't get over the clamps. They are included with the USA kit, but having rallyed BMWs and banged up anything that stuck out, I would much prefer flanges, and as few connections as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #47
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
Joeb427's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
724
Posts

 
Drives: '09 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645Nm View Post
I would have preffered the US version...I removed the vaccuum pipe today and yes, the sound is louder when revd..now to find a clip to keep the hose closed off...
I have a Bmw Performance Exhaust system that being delivered this week.Louder concerns me with the US version.
How much louder are we talking about?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #48
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
645Nm's Avatar
South Africa
11
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: sapphire black 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nomad

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Nice write-up. A before (stock) and after (BMW Perf) video would be really useful for someone to do -- same car, place, video equipment.

I can't get over the clamps. They are included with the USA kit, but having rallyed BMWs and banged up anything that stuck out, I would much prefer flanges, and as few connections as possible.
Doc, I read your review before and read it again and was overcome with so many fond memories of Bavaria and Munich in particular. I was there as a student during the early 90s and saw cars parked on the pavement (as in your pics) that were so small you could drop them in your rucksack and slip away quitely...ya those were the days...but the economy is too tight and airtravel too unsafe..so home sweet home in our 335s. Ps. Man you can write beautifully...should be published in a e90 book or something

Yes, I made a video when the car was stock and one with the new exhaust, choosing the exact same place . But I only played the tape back after a few days with the new exhaust and the video of the stock exhaust was completely ruined by our neighbours toy dog...it appears when ever I revd the car the dog just barked louder and damn louder...but somehow I never even noticed or heard the dog at the time...guess I got so use to the noisy animal.

I wonder how secure those clamps are in the long term especially the ones between the mufflers since they sit between the flow of air...and where airflow pressure is strongest.
__________________

JB4. 15ohm /Catless DPs/BMS DCI/BHS Oil Catch Can/RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit/CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & DV's/DREAMLIST:Upgraded Turbos
REVIEWS: Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol//BMW Performance Exhaust//RPI Intercooler//Race Camara Mount
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #49
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
645Nm's Avatar
South Africa
11
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: sapphire black 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nomad

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb427 View Post
I have a Bmw Performance Exhaust system that being delivered this week.Louder concerns me with the US version.
How much louder are we talking about?
Since it has only been a day with the tube unplugged the sound is louder on revving but still the same in cabin and when crusing. The sound picks up in cabin when you apply the throttle but fine otherwise.The thing is you have to listen to hear the "loud' difference otherwise it will sound the same...not sure if my response help. But there is nothing to be concerned about. Perhaps someone with the US version can chime in
__________________

JB4. 15ohm /Catless DPs/BMS DCI/BHS Oil Catch Can/RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit/CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & DV's/DREAMLIST:Upgraded Turbos
REVIEWS: Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol//BMW Performance Exhaust//RPI Intercooler//Race Camara Mount
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #50
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
Joeb427's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
724
Posts

 
Drives: '09 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645Nm View Post
Since it has only been a day with the tube unplugged the sound is louder on revving but still the same in cabin and when crusing. The sound picks up in cabin when you apply the throttle but fine otherwise.The thing is you have to listen to hear the "loud' difference otherwise it will sound the same...not sure if my response help. But there is nothing to be concerned about. Perhaps someone with the US version can chime in
So what you're saying is the louder sound is only on the outside and not inside.Except when you're WOT or playing a bit.Probably on cold startup too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #51
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
645Nm's Avatar
South Africa
11
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: sapphire black 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nomad

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb427 View Post
So what you're saying is the louder sound is only on the outside and not inside.Except when you're WOT or playing a bit.Probably on cold startup too.
Yes, so far thats my experience. I also just had a peek in the DIY section on this topic. check it out. some interesting views

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80661
__________________

JB4. 15ohm /Catless DPs/BMS DCI/BHS Oil Catch Can/RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit/CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & DV's/DREAMLIST:Upgraded Turbos
REVIEWS: Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol//BMW Performance Exhaust//RPI Intercooler//Race Camara Mount
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #52
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
Joeb427's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
724
Posts

 
Drives: '09 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645Nm View Post
Yes, so far thats my experience. I also just had a peek in the DIY section on this topic. check it out. some interesting views

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80661
Thanks 645,I'm just going to go with the BMW system.
I'll decide on using the Dimisa tips or not when everything is in.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #53
shifterboy45
Major
shifterboy45's Avatar
14
Rep
1,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North by Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb427 View Post
So what you're saying is the louder sound is only on the outside and not inside.Except when you're WOT or playing a bit.Probably on cold startup too.
since i have a 6mt tranny i love to rev match and downshift -- it makes driving a pretty fun car even better. the note of the exhaust changes radically when the boost comes on -- one of the guys from work was following me home, he's a tune junkie (his last ride was featured in a import car mag -- Infiniti g35 sedan with custom turbo and exhaust system) and he wanted to hear the new exhaust -- he told me you can hear the snails spool up when i get into the accelerator. there is no drone -- really -- you have to roll down the window to really hear this exhaust work ..

i have had cars that were loud 2 Mustang 5.0l with 2 chamber flowmasters -- v-8 vega with a 350 small block with headers and turbo mufflers -- '49 Crosley w/ 389 pontiac big block .. I know loud when i hear it .. but i know sweet too .. and this system is sweet .. but maybe im getting too old .. (hmm better put away the supercharged Mustang project thats in the works .. NOT!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #54
BigDonkeySchlong
Banned
0
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: Grandpa Cruiser
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delaware

iTrader: (0)

This exhaust sounds great
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #55
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
645Nm's Avatar
South Africa
11
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: sapphire black 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nomad

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Shifterboy45
You have summed it up perfectly...sweet it is...


BigDonkeySchlong
Indeed...thanks
__________________

JB4. 15ohm /Catless DPs/BMS DCI/BHS Oil Catch Can/RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit/CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & DV's/DREAMLIST:Upgraded Turbos
REVIEWS: Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol//BMW Performance Exhaust//RPI Intercooler//Race Camara Mount
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #56
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
Joeb427's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
724
Posts

 
Drives: '09 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
since i have a 6mt tranny i love to rev match and downshift -- it makes driving a pretty fun car even better. the note of the exhaust changes radically when the boost comes on -- one of the guys from work was following me home, he's a tune junkie (his last ride was featured in a import car mag -- Infiniti g35 sedan with custom turbo and exhaust system) and he wanted to hear the new exhaust -- he told me you can hear the snails spool up when i get into the accelerator. there is no drone -- really -- you have to roll down the window to really hear this exhaust work ..

i have had cars that were loud 2 Mustang 5.0l with 2 chamber flowmasters -- v-8 vega with a 350 small block with headers and turbo mufflers -- '49 Crosley w/ 389 pontiac big block .. I know loud when i hear it .. but i know sweet too .. and this system is sweet .. but maybe im getting too old .. (hmm better put away the supercharged Mustang project thats in the works .. NOT!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #57
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
645Nm's Avatar
South Africa
11
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: sapphire black 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nomad

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Closing comments

Many miles later and I am still very satisfied with the BMW exhaust except for...:

Had the car on the dyno recently and the clamp on the righthand side before the muffler began to leak under revving as you can see in this video:



As explained in my review those ten clamps were a concern to me whether they will hold under high boost and hard driving. I have been told that the system has now settled and just need tightening up...this is plausible and i hope the problem will not reoccur soon....or perhaps i am just the eternal optimist.

Oh ya, i wish those outlet pipes were bigger...Other than that, the car is the devil in disguise.
__________________

JB4. 15ohm /Catless DPs/BMS DCI/BHS Oil Catch Can/RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit/CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & DV's/DREAMLIST:Upgraded Turbos
REVIEWS: Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol//BMW Performance Exhaust//RPI Intercooler//Race Camara Mount
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST