E90Post

200MPH

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Anyone knows of an HPDE event that allows convertibles?

03-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
walmark
Apprentice

Drives: 335i e93 '08 sport

Anyone knows of an HPDE event that allows convertibles?

I am a responsible driver, and after driving my e93 335i for a year I still haven't found where the limits of the car are. I wanted to improve my skills and control, learn how to detect the upcoming under- and oversteer, and do some training on the skidpad with an instructor.

[rant]
I considered joining the NCC CCA chapter specifically for this reason, but while they are happy to take your money they don't give a sh!t about safety and improved skills of the vert drivers (which are plentiful in the DC area!) and do not allow them to participate in HPDE events.
[/rant]

Mind you, I don't want to track, race, or autocross, I just want some skill drills with instructions in a safe environment.

Since this thread would probably be of interest to other vert drivers as well, can you recommend and perhaps share your experience from HPDE event that you participated that doesn't discriminate against cool people who like wind in their hair?
      03-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
pseto
Major General

Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
I am a responsible driver, and after driving my e93 335i for a year I still haven't found where the limits of the car are. I wanted to improve my skills and control, learn how to detect the upcoming under- and oversteer, and do some training on the skidpad with an instructor.

[rant]
I considered joining the NCC CCA chapter specifically for this reason, but while they are happy to take your money they don't give a sh!t about safety and improved skills of the vert drivers (which are plentiful in the DC area!) and do not allow them to participate in HPDE events.
[/rant]

Mind you, I don't want to track, race, or autocross, I just want some skill drills with instructions in a safe environment.

Since this thread would probably be of interest to other vert drivers as well, can you recommend and perhaps share your experience from HPDE event that you participated that doesn't discriminate against cool people who like wind in their hair?
I believe Friday at the Track allows some convertibles if they have the proper safety equipment installed. Check with them to see if your car is eligible.

Just to be clear, we do not allow convertibles for the safety of the INSTRUCTORS. It has nothing to do with not wanting to ban cool vert guys like you . In fact, our NCC instructors go through more rigorous training than any other organization in this area and our HPDEs are one of the safest anywhere.

I have a convertible that I would love to track too, but it's rare to find a qualified instrutor who wants to jump into your passenger seat even if you had a full rool cage installed. Many of the track organizations in this area will tell you the exact same thing, but hopefully you're able to find a group that will let you run with them.

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
      03-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
M-Steep
Private

Drives: 2009 E93 M Sport

HPDE for verts

Driver's Edge in Texas allows verts w/ approved factory rollover protection system, like the 335i.

And at least one of their instructors was brave enough (or foolish enough?) to not only ride along with this rookie in my 09 E93 for my very first HPDE, but also constantly whoop and holler for "more power" as we blew around TWS in College Station! Fun.

I've heard the Porsche CCA has no such qualms about verts at their sanctioned events; rumors exist of E93 drivers joining up to run.
      03-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
bigdaddycane
Finally....Winter is over :)

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
FATT does

G5 ISO|BMS Flash|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
bigdaddycane is offline   United_States
      03-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
boom
could fuck up a rock fight...

Drives: 08 e92 335xi

Porsches have rollover protection and verts are allowed at FATTs and with TrackDaze. I've never seen an e93 but I just found out that it does have rollover protection (lol, I own one...) so you should be good with either group.

For the record, TrackDaze events are my favorite. Far less uptight than BMWCCA and the sessions are 30 min. IIRC the last BMWCCA events I did the sessions were 20 min. It makes a huge difference.
boom is offline   United_States
      03-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
walmark
Apprentice

Drives: 335i e93 '08 sport

Thank you all!

Looks like TrackDaze will have no problem with e93.

I know FATT accepts verts as well, but I didn't know they also offer HPDE.
      03-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
VAlsbM3
AwwwYEA!

Drives: DD - e90 325i / Track - E46 M3

I have ran with Trackdaze. Good group of people.
VAlsbM3 is offline   United_States