E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine heating on my '07 328i / very loud fan?

07-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
UnknownSpiritX5
Drive till Infinity

Drives: Jet Black '07 328i (E90)

Send a message via AIM to UnknownSpiritX5
Engine heating on my '07 328i / very loud fan?

I'm not sure if this is normal, but last night while I was parking, my 328i became very loud. At first I wasn't sure what it was, so I quickly turned the engine off and stepped outside to look. It seemed like the noise was coming from my fan compartment (I've never heard it be this loud). I started the engine again, and stepped outside and it was definitely coming from my fan.

I assumed the fan was moving much faster than other times probably because the engine heated up, but when I touched under the hood towards where the engine is located, it was weirdly cool and not as hot as I had suspected. INFACT, it was when I touched near my fan in the front, it was much hotter than the other surfaces on my hood, plus it was extremely loud.

So has this happened to anyone else before? Should I be worried about some part(s) not functioning as they should be? Could this be due to driving in sport mode (I accelerated and decelerrated perhaps way too much causing stress on the engine?) But I assume this car was built to handle that?

Also, my AC wasn't on, if that has to do with anything.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
UnknownSpiritX5 is offline   Bangladesh
      07-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
ak335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownSpiritX5 View Post
I'm not sure if this is normal, but last night while I was parking, my 328i became very loud. At first I wasn't sure what it was, so I quickly turned the engine off and stepped outside to look. It seemed like the noise was coming from my fan compartment (I've never heard it be this loud). I started the engine again, and stepped outside and it was definitely coming from my fan.

I assumed the fan was moving much faster than other times probably because the engine heated up, but when I touched under the hood towards where the engine is located, it was weirdly cool and not as hot as I had suspected. INFACT, it was when I touched near my fan in the front, it was much hotter than the other surfaces on my hood, plus it was extremely loud.

So has this happened to anyone else before? Should I be worried about some part(s) not functioning as they should be? Could this be due to driving in sport mode (I accelerated and decelerrated perhaps way too much causing stress on the engine?) But I assume this car was built to handle that?

Cars just cooling down, its completely normal
      07-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Tee-Dub
Captain

Drives: 2008 135i

Mine is loud at times. I believe they are a variable speed and run according to the temps. I only hear mine like that lately when its been ninety outside and I'm using the AC.
Tee-Dub is offline   United_States
      07-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
UnknownSpiritX5
Drive till Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Mine is loud at times. I believe they are a variable speed and run according to the temps. I only hear mine like that lately when its been ninety outside and I'm using the AC.
Phew, so I have nothing to worry about. Thanks!
      07-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
RambleJ
Colonel

Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Phew, so I have nothing to worry about. Thanks!
Exactly.. most likely you had your A/C on. If you turn it off you will notice a drastic drop in the fan noise you heard. Turn it back on and it will sound crazy loud again.
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
      07-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Exactly.. most likely you had your A/C on. If you turn it off you will notice a drastic drop in the fan noise you heard. Turn it back on and it will sound crazy loud again.
+1

No problem, nothing to worry about. Completely normal for any car.

jopa489 is offline   United_States
      07-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Fortyb
WHO DAT!

Drives: "07 328I Coupe,"12 Acura Mdx

These cars are able to withstand a lot of stress so if the fan is running a little harder I would not worry about it unless it sounds like it's going to fall off.
2007 328CI l 19" AG M359 | 235/35/19f | 275/30/19r | VRS Spoiler | 8500 Gp | Aero lip | Front reflectors delete | Cyba Intake scoops | BMS PBX | LTBMW M3sides | CF roof spoiler |Split Leather Armrest | Mod4cars remote | LCI Tail lights | M-tech Rear | Valentine V1 Hardwired.
      07-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
Dumb Bass
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 jet black e90 6spd MT

It's normal for very hot weather seasons. Mine does that a lot in the day time when the temp is usually highest.
Dumb Bass is offline   United_States
      07-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
UnknownSpiritX5
Drive till Infinity

Thanks all of you. I'll keep this in mind
      08-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
MrCharlie

Drives: E90 328i Black/E93 Space Gray

Send a message via AIM to MrCharlie
I have experienced this before in my '07 328. The fan is normally loud but one week last summer it began to sound like a jet plane rolling through the neighborhood. I did have the dealer examine it and they claim the thermostat was faulty. Replaced under warranty and all has been fine since. May be worth checking out.
MrCharlie is offline   United_States
      08-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Delta0311
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92

Quote:

Relax it's completly normal, especially on hot-n-humid days. It always comes on after you driven a while and the engine is hot. I'd be more worried if I stoped hearing that fan.
      08-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
bimmerfanatic43

Drives: Undecided

I've had the same problem on my e46. It feels sluggish, wouldn't accelerate as quick, and made crazy loud noises right? Got me so paranoid. Is this still an issue with the new e90? I was always so scared to take the car on long road trips. I currently drive an 07 accord and don't have this problem. Has anyone had any issues taking the new e90's on long road trips?
      07-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
jimevess
Registered

Drives: 2007 328i

I have this problem. It happens when it is hot out and I have been driving for a little bit. At time it sounds like a jet. I was also told this was normal but I do not hear any car sounding as loud as this. It sounds like the engine is going to explode. It can't be normal. Has anyone found out if replacing the thermostat has corrected the problem.
      07-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
m@rco
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCharlie View Post
I have experienced this before in my '07 328. The fan is normally loud but one week last summer it began to sound like a jet plane rolling through the neighborhood. I did have the dealer examine it and they claim the thermostat was faulty. Replaced under warranty and all has been fine since. May be worth checking out.
Same here. Lound noise even in moderate winter conditions (albeit Houston). Anyway, at the time, I checked the water temperature by playing with the hidden board computer and noticed that the temperature was running out of control (110C) when idling without a/c turned on. Brought it to the dealer who replaced the thermostat under warranty. No more jets taking off.

Well... Last week, with outside temperatures around 105F, and airconditioning running, I did hear the fan. But never as loud as it had been in the winter. And yes, our cars have a variable speed drive fan. And a variable speed drive water pump - if you really want to know. Cooling water temperature at cruising speed is about 99C (more fuel economic). Aggressive driving will result in a pratically immediate response of the system resulting in a cooling temperture drop to about 85C (more power).
m@rco is offline   Netherlands
      08-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
jimevess
Registered

Drives: 2007 328i

Just a follow up from my first post: I have brought my car my service center and again explained the situation. I got the same response that I usually get, that it a normal noise for the car...., other people bring it in with the same issue and not to worry about it. I asked them specifically to run a diagnostic on the thermostat. Sure enough, I got a call a couple days later letting me know they put a new thermostat in the car. If anyone has this issue don't let the dealer tell you it is normal. I have not got the car back yet to notice the difference but I'm sure this should fix the problem
      08-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
Harlech
I wanna go fast!

Drives: 2006 E90, 2008 Vette

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Its normal. This is one of the loudest cars I have ever heard when it is above 90 out and the AC is on.

2008 C6, 2006 E90
      05-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
DAY07328I

Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

me to same car same year same problem exept no warinty and it cost me 120.00 and i put it in myself fun fun but it did fix the problem.
DAY07328I is offline   United_States
      08-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
tolbert86
Private

Drives: 2007 328i Black

My 07 328i is also very loud. it was so loud today that when I was ordering some Ice cream from DQ the lady said that she couldn't hear me over my car. Talk about embarrassing owning a BMW and somebody tells you that. Should I replace the thermostat or should I just let it be? It sounds like other people have this problem as well. And when I drive it cools down and the noise is over. The temp was 81 and sunny no humidity. don't know if this helps.
      08-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
VORST9R
Enlisted Member

Drives: E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Mine Does That Too... Bmw Service Advisor Said, Its Normal..

^^
      08-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #20
shanecarmaster1
Lieutenant

Drives: e90 325i, F01 750Li, e38 740i

Mine is loud, even right after I turn it off. I kill mine though because I always use Steptronic - I can't remember the last time I drove in D or DS. If I pull up and my family is outside or to someone I know, they always ask me about why my car is so loud. My Range Rover on the other hand barely uses its fan.
      08-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #21
Revision2
Captain

Drives: AW 07 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [3.64]
The timing of this thread is great! I've been meaning to ask about my fan noise as well since it's been getting pretty loud at times and was getting a bit concerned. Sometimes it does sound like a jet although I sadly can't reach jet speeds in a 328. I might go get the thermostat checked. For those that managed to get it diagnosed as a thermostat issue, did you manage to get the stealership to run the diag for free or just decide to take a chance and hope they do find something and replace it under warranty?
Revision2 is offline   Canada
      08-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
tolbert86
Private

Drives: 2007 328i Black

+1 on the paying for diagnostic or not.