E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Map switching issue

08-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
BimmerPod
Private First Class

Drives: e92 335i

Map switching issue

I've emailed Vishnu but since it's late at night I don't expect a response till the morning. In the meantime I figure I'd try to find some help on the trusty forum! Here goes:

Remote map switching suddenly stopped working for me for whatever reason.

I carefully detailed out everything Ive done since Ive had the Procede Rev2 CANbus to make it easier to spot the issue.

Details:

2009 E92 335i (august 2008 build) 6MT
Drivetrain is stock, besides Rev2 CANbus (purchased approx 2 months ago), only other mod is suspension - KW v2 coilovers
Install went smooth, remote map switch done via Homelink garage opener device on my car (works flawless)
I always run nonDoomsday maps regardless of my build date.

1) firmware 117, maps v3.3 5-29 Stg 1. The firmware/map was what came preloaded on the Procede
a. Did not change any user variables, besides Valet mode (Id switch to map2/map1 before startup) and Speed Delimiter
b. Status everything was excellent!
2) Firmware 123, maps v3.3 7-03 Stg 1. (Installed around 07/07/2009)
a. Again, did not mess with user variables besides Valet mode default and Speed Delimiter
b. Status everything was excellent, let the engine reach optimal temperatures before pushing it, and did not experience any loss of power from previous 5-29 map.

Problem arises below:
3) Firmware 127, maps v3.3 7-29 Stg 1. (Installed yesterday, 08/02/2009)
a. Did not mess with user variables besides Valet mode default and Speed Delimiter
b. When switching on a map before fully starting engine, SES light flashed as usual (1 for map1, 2 for map2, nothing if I did not engage remote map switch)
c. In map1 and/or 2, after driving cold for a few minutes, Id see the SES light flash as if I pressed the remote map switcher (I did not touch it). Keep in mind this is before I pushed the car (keeping RPMS below 3k). I always let my engine warm up before pushing the car.
4) Thinking that either I screwed up the firmware update or map update, I opened up my engine bay again today
a. For whatever stupid reason, I decided to click on RESET ECU through the comms menu (perhaps my error that caused this whole mess?)
b. I re-installed firmware 127, followed by 7-29 Stg 1 maps, turning on Valet mode as usual
c. When I try to engage map 1 or 2 before firing up the engine, nothing happens. Evidenced by the fact that when the engine starts the SES light does NOT flash. (TRIED WITH HOMELINK AND BOTH PROCEDE KEYFOBS)
d. I revert back to firmware 117, map 5-29, with Valet mode on. Remote map switch still does not work. I check the wiring, and everything seems solid.
e. I turn off Valet mode, and go for a drive. SES light flashes when firing up engine, signaling Procede works. Go for drive, power is there, engine runs just like it always has since Ive had my Procede Rev2.

Bottom line I cannot get my remote map switching to work anymore. Is it because I clicked on reset ECU, wiping out the link to my procede keyfob/Homelink? Procede still works from all other aspects. Car runs great, just lost my ability to switch maps. Currently running firmware 117/map 5-29 and still no luck. Double checked the harness/pins (havent touched any wiring since initial install, besides the SERIAL port link to my USB adapter) everything same as my original install
      08-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Grendalf
Private First Class

Drives: BMW 335xi (E90 LCI)

I am experiencing a similar problem with firmware 127 and map v3.3 7-29. The difference is that I have to click a few times in order to get a map switch. First I though it was because I am using the button for the garage door opener on the rear view mirror but it was working correctly with previous firmware/maps.

I will reload the previous firmware/maps and see if everything returns to normal.
      08-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
jpsimon
Team Zissou

Drives: 2015 STi

If you're using the key-fob, maybe it needs a new battery?

jpsimon is offline   United_States
      08-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
bolty
/r/trees

Drives: 08 e92 335xi

I am having similar probs with map switching via the rixster gauge.

bc2 (which i have set to map2), will always flip back to map0.

I havent had time to poke around, but I'll try some various combos later tonight.

I had just upgraded from the 2-19 maps/firmware/usertool to the 7-29 software and it was working flawlessly before.
      08-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
BimmerPod
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
If you're using the key-fob, maybe it needs a new battery?
Using the opener on the car as well. Both the opener on the car and the remote stopped working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
I am having similar probs with map switching via the rixster gauge.

bc2 (which i have set to map2), will always flip back to map0.

I havent had time to poke around, but I'll try some various combos later tonight.

I had just upgraded from the 2-19 maps/firmware/usertool to the 7-29 software and it was working flawlessly before.
yes, exactly. mine kept doing the same thing, flipping back to map0.

Only thing is, I clicked on "RESET ECU" on the procede user software when reloading my old firmware. Did that just wipe my procede to the point where the remote signal is no longer paired/recognized? If so I am going to punch myself out for being an idiot
      08-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Grendalf
Private First Class

A few more details on my case.

I have bind my 'ON' button to button '1' of the opener and 'OFF' to '2'. Since I want it to be intuitive I have inversed the default settings of the map so 'ON' enable map 1 and 'OFF' map 2.

Now if I shutdown the engine with map 1 activated, when I am starting back the car I see the engine light blink once and then maybe 15 seconds later it blinks twice. So basically, I always need to press '1' to reactivate the map 1 after each start...

Didn't have time to try older firmware/maps , will do it tomorrow and let you know if it works again.
      08-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Grendalf
Private First Class

Update.

Reflash the firmware 127
Reload the 7-29 map
Leave the default ON/OFF map assignment
Try it out and looks to work correctly.

Is it possible it is caused by changing the map number assigned to ON/OFF button?

Last edited by Grendalf; 08-06-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Grendalf is offline   Canada
      08-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Ramos
Colonel

Drives: 2014 M235

OT question.. How do you get the homelink button to switch map..
I am still running 5-29 and use the procede keyfob, didn't even know you could use homelink button?

Thanks
      08-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
Grendalf
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
OT question.. How do you get the homelink button to switch map..
I am still running 5-29 and use the procede keyfob, didn't even know you could use homelink button?

Thanks
Hold button 1 & 3 for about 20 seconds, led will start blinking. Then take your keyfob and press the button you want to map near the rear view mirror while pressing the button on the mirror you want it to be map to. Once the led blink again the button is mapped. Quite simple...

You can find the "how to" in the manual
      08-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Ramos
Colonel

Drives: 2014 M235

Awesome, never thought of that... I only need one homelink for the garage anyway, so I can use the other two for this... Thanks guys
      08-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
BimmerPod
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendalf View Post
Update.

Reflash the firmware 117
Reload the 7-29 map
Leave the default ON/OFF map assignment
Try it out and looks to work correctly.

Is it possible it is caused by changing the map number assigned to ON/OFF button?
Are you sure you want to use the old firmware with the new maps?

I never touched my 1on2off button assignment. I tried both ways, still doesn't work. I may have to get a new map switch unit as mine might be dead
      08-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Grendalf
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPod View Post
Are you sure you want to use the old firmware with the new maps?

I never touched my 1on2off button assignment. I tried both ways, still doesn't work. I may have to get a new map switch unit as mine might be dead
Sorry mistyped... firmware 127
      08-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
BimmerPod
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendalf View Post
Sorry mistyped... firmware 127
thanks for feedback btw. helps in determining what's going on. Since Robert and Dustin @ Vishnu are just across the bridge, I think I'll drive over next week to get my remote map switch replaced.

Shiv's suggestion was to hold the remote map switch box in the engine bay, and see if it "clicks" when you change maps. I've also tried datalogging and no change.
      08-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
shiv@vishnu
Tuner

Drives: X1, 335i

Did you try both keyfobs? It just sounds like you keyfob battery needs to be replaced. There hasn't been any change to the map switch logic for a while. We did make some changes to when the dash light is flashes (won't flash when switching maps while under boost or heavy throttle). We did that so we could use the same firmware for methanol control and no have the dash light blink Everytime the meth came on and the activated the meth map.

Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
      08-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
BimmerPod
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Did you try both keyfobs? It just sounds like you keyfob battery needs to be replaced. There hasn't been any change to the map switch logic for a while. We did make some changes to when the dash light is flashes (won't flash when switching maps while under boost or heavy throttle). We did that so we could use the same firmware for methanol control and no have the dash light blink Everytime the meth came on and the activated the meth map.

Shiv
tried fresh batteries, and when datalogging with laptop I used the garage opener/homelink on my rearview mirror, which always worked in the past (eliminates battery issue since powered by car). Thank you for feedback, and for the sneak preview meth feature

mmmm....meth....