E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Game Over !! Audi is dropping the 3.2 A4 for 2010



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
92
Rep
2,254
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Game Over !! Audi is dropping the 3.2 A4 for 2010

Not that the 3.2 A4 could ever compete with the 335 anyway...
But now Audi has offficially given up on that car, and will limit their A4 model line to just 2 models for now until the next RS4 comes out...

So for now,
A4 2.0 < 328
S4 < 335

Hope BMW does not follow suit with the next 3 series.. There should always be a NA I6 offered in a 3 series... TT4cyl's would be nice on the 1... Just please spare the 3

And I doubt that whatever they come up with for the next RS4 would be enough to come close to being in the same league the E9X M3...

I have no idea how the A4 is outselling the 3 series in Europe? Are those Europeans on crack or something? I mean you can't even tell the A4 from a Passat from the side view... They're not even trying anymore
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
cstavaru
Brigadier General
cstavaru's Avatar
102
Rep
3,237
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (0)

Yea, I really hate the new A4 looks and don't understand why it seels so good. I guess its the price, for example here in Romania there are very good deals on the A4 right now. They have some stripped down base models priced really low.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
aut0sh0cker
meh
aut0sh0cker's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,758
Posts

Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 91362

iTrader: (2)

I dont really agree with you...

IMO: 328 < A4 < 335 < S4

I would take the new S4/5 over my 335i if Audi prices were a little more competitive. I really think Audi's styling of late has been pretty damn good. That's just my own opinion, please dont flame me.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
A418t81
Major
United_States
24
Rep
1,330
Posts

Drives: F80 M3/997TT
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham Al

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
I dont really agree with you...

IMO: 328 < A4 < 335 < S4

I would take the new S4/5 over my 335i if Audi prices were a little more competitive. I really think Audi's styling of late has been pretty damn good. That's just my own opinion, please dont flame me.
The new S4 will be priced from about $46k, and will be quite nicely loaded for about $50k. Apparently you haven't seen all the magazine tests...the S4 bests the 335 in acceleration, braking, dynamics, and yes, even the engine is said to be better in stock form. In the latest rag in an Aussie mag, the S4 lapped their test track .7 sec behind the E92 M3. Regardless, the new S4 is beating the 335 in every single magazine test.

Software modification alone takes the new S4 to around 430 crank hp. They are no joke.

Finally, BMW interiors are downright low-rent compared to Audi who sets the benchmark.
__________________
'15 AW/SO F80 M3 6MT: IND cosmetic package, Gloss black grill surrounds, Macht schnell 15mm spacers all around, 3M crystalline
'07 997 TT 6MT, Arctic Silver/Sea Blue: FBO, stock turbos: 5.9 60-130 E85, 997 platform record
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
15
Rep
587
Posts

Drives: Audi A6
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SF Bay Area (Woodside)

iTrader: (2)

I got an '09 loaner A4 2.0T Quattro a couple of weeks ago and IMO it was MUCH better than the 328's that I have driven. It was faster and handled so much better (Q factor), and this was a car which had no sports package (s-line in Audi's lingo). Plus standard leather and fold down seats - also cheaper than a 328.

Though, the interior of the A4 felt cheap to me (maybe because I was used to my nice A6 interior)... actually I think the 3 series interior is better than the A4's.
__________________
2006 A6 3.2 Quattro

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
crazed792
Captain
crazed792's Avatar
9
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SL,UT

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
I dont really agree with you...

IMO: 328 < A4 < 335 < S4
I agree as long as we're looking at the B8 A4, which almost isn't fair since it just got redesigned. I think for styling though E90>equiv B7 A4. We'll see what the next gen 3 looks like soon, I suppose. As far as driving factors go, I can't speak to the B8 as I've never been in the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
15
Rep
587
Posts

Drives: Audi A6
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SF Bay Area (Woodside)

iTrader: (2)

hmm.... S4 for $46k ... wouldn't that be entering the A4 3.2 territory then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
The new S4 will be priced from about $46k, and will be quite nicely loaded for about $50k. Apparently you haven't seen all the magazine tests...the S4 bests the 335 in acceleration, braking, dynamics, and yes, even the engine is said to be better in stock form. In the latest rag in an Aussie mag, the S4 lapped their test track .7 sec behind the E92 M3. Regardless, the new S4 is beating the 335 in every single magazine test.

Software modification alone takes the new S4 to around 430 crank hp. They are no joke.

Finally, BMW interiors are downright low-rent compared to Audi who sets the benchmark.
__________________
2006 A6 3.2 Quattro

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
64
Rep
3,310
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (11)

the only reason Audi outsells BMW in europe in my opinion is because most of them are brought/hired out by companies who give them as company vehicles..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
A418t81
Major
United_States
24
Rep
1,330
Posts

Drives: F80 M3/997TT
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham Al

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post
hmm.... S4 for $46k ... wouldn't that be entering the A4 3.2 territory then?
Which is why they killed the 3.2....it simply isn't needed with the 2.0T and the S4 positioned the way it is. The new S4 is their 335 beater, and it does a good job of it at a very competitive price. It's also a larger car, and gets better fuel economy than the 335. The auto is a 7 speed dual clutch tranny too, which is pretty cool. The euro mags are getting 5.1 0-100 km/h with no roll out, which will EASILY be a 4.6 or lower 0-60 time here in the states. I'm not an S4 fanboy, but the car is very impressive.
__________________
'15 AW/SO F80 M3 6MT: IND cosmetic package, Gloss black grill surrounds, Macht schnell 15mm spacers all around, 3M crystalline
'07 997 TT 6MT, Arctic Silver/Sea Blue: FBO, stock turbos: 5.9 60-130 E85, 997 platform record
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
Joeb427's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
724
Posts

Drives: '09 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Which is why they killed the 3.2....it simply isn't needed with the 2.0T and the S4 positioned the way it is. The new S4 is their 335 beater, and it does a good job of it at a very competitive price. It's also a larger car, and gets better fuel economy than the 335. The auto is a 7 speed dual clutch tranny too, which is pretty cool. The euro mags are getting 5.1 0-100 km/h with no roll out, which will EASILY be a 4.6 or lower 0-60 time here in the states. I'm not an S4 fanboy, but the car is very impressive.

Supercharger with 333 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
GrandMaster_B
-
GrandMaster_B's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

I dont' get it.... dropping the 3.2 from the A4 (and A3) and dropping the manual tranny from the A5 3.2. Could it have something to do with emissions performance on the engine and 2010 requirements?
__________________
'10 E90 335i / Le Mans / Saddle / Aluminum / 6MT / M Sport / Premium / Navigation / Logic7 / Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
TommyK
Brigadier General
TommyK's Avatar
United_States
51
Rep
3,326
Posts

Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to TommyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Yea, I really hate the new A4 looks and don't understand why it seels so good. I guess its the price, for example here in Romania there are very good deals on the A4 right now. They have some stripped down base models priced really low.
ya same thoughts here, prob. not enough people are buying the 3.2, but after test driving the a4 i still think it feels like a jetta, in every way but with a more quiet interior and better ambient feel on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
07E92TT
Major
07E92TT's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,337
Posts

Drives: 08 C63
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orlando,FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
I dont really agree with you...

IMO: 328 < A4 < 335 < S4

I would take the new S4/5 over my 335i if Audi prices were a little more competitive. I really think Audi's styling of late has been pretty damn good. That's just my own opinion, please dont flame me.
+1
__________________
Car: 2008 E90 SG/Black/Dark Burl (sold)
2008 MB C63 P.Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
92
Rep
2,254
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

You're all fired... Bunch of Audi Fanboys... You should all be banned

While there may be some truth to S4 being competitive with the 335
Saying A4 2.0 > 328 is blasphemy.. You guys are insane, totally crazy
How can a 211 HP 4 banger be better than the smoothest inline 6 ever made

Car and Driver did not agree with you, and even called the 4 banger "Vulgar" in a 50K car...

To all Audi fanboys: GET THE F OUT OF HERE, GET LOST
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
citrixscu's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: '14 335i EB II
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
92
Rep
2,254
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
The new S4 will be priced from about $46k
$46K... Where on earth did you get that from? Pricing for the 2010 s4 is not out yet, and I just priced an A4 (Yes the 2.0TT) at $48,775
with just S-Line, Metallic, Drive Select and Nav

Why are you guys saying they are cheap... I think they are at least 10K over the Bimmers with similar options...

Please let me know where I can get that S4 for 46K
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
92
Rep
2,254
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
ya same thoughts here, prob. not enough people are buying the 3.2, but after test driving the a4 i still think it feels like a jetta, in every way but with a more quiet interior and better ambient feel on the inside.
Finally one intelligent person on here... The A4 is a Jetta

Did I mention that I hate Audi's and people who drive Audi's?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
citrixscu's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: '14 335i EB II
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA

iTrader: (0)

The S4/S5 line looks like they are competitively priced, but I know a guy who is paying $800+ for an A5 It's probably going to be one of those deals where the price looks really attractive on the website, but once you get the lease agreement it may a completely different story.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
A418t81
Major
United_States
24
Rep
1,330
Posts

Drives: F80 M3/997TT
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham Al

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
$46K... Where on earth did you get that from? Pricing for the 2010 s4 is not out yet, and I just priced an A4 (Yes the 2.0TT) at $48,775
with just S-Line, Metallic, Drive Select and Nav

Why are you guys saying they are cheap... I think they are at least 10K over the Bimmers with similar options...

Please let me know where I can get that S4 for 46K
They were for the S5. I'm getting my numbers from a guy closely tied to it's introduction into the US. 46-48k base, low 50s for a nicely equipped one with a manual tranny. I'm sure you'll still be able to option one out into the 60s. US pricing is released on August 10th. They are aggressively pursing the 335 with the S4. The ONLY reason the 3.2 was phased out was because they are bringing the S4 down to compete where the 3.2 was outclassed.

Watch and see.

BTW, did I mention are you are acting like a materialistic tool? You hate somebody because of a car they drive? Get over yourself and your leased BMW.
__________________
'15 AW/SO F80 M3 6MT: IND cosmetic package, Gloss black grill surrounds, Macht schnell 15mm spacers all around, 3M crystalline
'07 997 TT 6MT, Arctic Silver/Sea Blue: FBO, stock turbos: 5.9 60-130 E85, 997 platform record
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
angler
love to fish!
angler's Avatar
7
Rep
558
Posts

Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: riding in the ultimate tanning machine

iTrader: (1)

how can you take any car company serious that does not make a 6mt in their sports car?
__________________
PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|Performance Pedals|Motorsport Emblem|
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #21
MrTerryliu
Brigadier General
MrTerryliu's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
3,217
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bay area

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to MrTerryliu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
You're all fired... Bunch of Audi Fanboys... You should all be banned

While there may be some truth to S4 being competitive with the 335
Saying A4 2.0 > 328 is blasphemy.. You guys are insane, totally crazy
How can a 211 HP 4 banger be better than the smoothest inline 6 ever made

Car and Driver did not agree with you, and even called the 4 banger "Vulgar" in a 50K car...

To all Audi fanboys: GET THE F OUT OF HERE, GET LOST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Finally one intelligent person on here... The A4 is a Jetta

Did I mention that I hate Audi's and people who drive Audi's?
that explains alot..




a4 2.0 < 328i < a4 3.2L < 335i < s4 < m3 IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #22
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
jopa489's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
6,561
Posts

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Finally one intelligent person on here... The A4 is a Jetta

Did I mention that I hate Audi's and people who drive Audi's?
+1

Sorry Audi fans, but I've driven the A4 extensively and it just doesn't compare to the 328. It feels like a dolled up Jetta to me too. That's just my personal opinion, I'm really not interested in hearing reasons why I'm wrong. You like what you like, I'll like what I like.

And this isn't news. They announced this almost six months ago.
__________________

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST