E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Electrical/starting problem on 2008 sedan

08-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
drivecar
Private

Drives: bmw

Electrical/starting problem on 2008 sedan

I went to start the car earlier today and the car was slow to start. The clock lost the time setting and and showed time as --|--. The date setting was still saved, but average MPG setting was lost and reset.
There was a warning light showing a picture of a car raised up on a service lift.
Seems like the battery died since the time and mpg settings were lost, but if it died to the point of losing those settings, I'm surprised it was able to start at all.

I went ahead and drove to work and the next time I started, there was no visible problem. The warning light went away. I was planning to take the car in to the dealer to check it out Saturday, but since the warning light no longer shows, I wonder if they will be able to find any problem or should I just cancel the appointment now?
      08-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
jimk
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 M/T

Check the battery connections and make sure they are tight. If they are, take it to the dealer. If they are loose, this may be your problem and all you may need is to tight them up.
jimk is offline   United_States
      08-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Viper3812
Banned

Drives: M Coupe

Take it, they will perform an energy diagnosis to see what happened.
      08-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
drivecar
Private

Drives: bmw

I spoke to the dealership, but decided not to leave it since it was too late for them to do a trickle charge if needed and it was too late in the day to get a rental and leave the car over the weekend.

They said one likely possibility is that the battery drained due to something being plugged into the 12v ports. Even though the power ports don't charge when the key is removed, the battery may still drain because that can prevent the car from "going to sleep." They say if the car doesn't go to sleep, battery drains faster while the engine is off.
I had a USB thumb drive plugged in, so maybe that can keep the system active if you don't remove it when you park. I'll try unplugging everything when parking and see what happens. Too bad there is no way to see the level of battery charge by looking at the gauges.

They said if I turn off the DRL and A/C, the battery may charge up on its own after several hours on the road and if the problem returns, then bring it back.