E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New tyre problem



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

New tyre problem

I replaced both rear tyres due to a puncture, two weeks ago, with same tyres (Bridgestone RE50's 255/35 90W). BUT there's big difference in the ride?

Can anyone explain why the rear ride is harder and there is more tyre noise?

Generally, the cars balance is not the same - its drives like the rear tyres are over inflated!

Everything I can check appears correct, tyre pressures set using same gauge as before to spec (2.4/2.7bar), tyre size the same, speed and load ratings the same and the same brand/model of tyre etc etc.

I have one nagging doubt about the tyres fitted by e-tyre (best price and only ones with stock) as they came with a Bridgestone sticky label stating Z4 only. I questioned the fitter who called his technical helpline and they confirmed it was okay.

What should I do?

Like others here, no one would do a repair. Still have old tyres in garage with 5mm left.
__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i

Last edited by carl_d; 09-08-2006 at 02:42 AM.
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
2GPP
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South, UK

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

Hi - sorry to hear about the tyre issues. I recently changed my rears (same size as yours - on a 330D Sport) I could not get Bridgestones anywhere and ended up with Michelins. Set pressures to same as you have stated and the car felt very fidgety, a bit "wayward" at the rear and the ride was very hard. I took the car back to the tyre fitter, they balanced the wheels all around (even although they had just supposedly done the rears) told me to try the pressure slightly lower - which I have 2.2 bar front and 2.4 bar rear. The car is fine now, handles and tracks well. Not entirely sure about the tyre pressures though.
Out of interest how much did you pay for the Bridgestones?
Are they RE050A?? - Do they have the exact same daa on the side wall as the ones that came off?

Cheers.
__________________
E91 335i M Sport
2GPP is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

Paid £390 for the two all in. Yes they are RE050A's

I will double check all the number in light tomorrow.

I will try lowering rears in steps of 0.05 bar (~3/4psi) and see what happends and I'll let you know. I tried increasing the fronts by 0.05 bar but it did not help - seemed to trameline more.

Wow, 2.4 sounds very low for rear tyres on a 330d! Is the spec 2.9 for a 330d? In In "old money" that's 7psi lower! How are they wearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP
Hi - sorry to hear about the tyre issues. I recently changed my rears (same size as yours - on a 330D Sport) I could not get Bridgestones anywhere and ended up with Michelins. Set pressures to same as you have stated and the car felt very fidgety, a bit "wayward" at the rear and the ride was very hard. I took the car back to the tyre fitter, they balanced the wheels all around (even although they had just supposedly done the rears) told me to try the pressure slightly lower - which I have 2.2 bar front and 2.4 bar rear. The car is fine now, handles and tracks well. Not entirely sure about the tyre pressures though.
Out of interest how much did you pay for the Bridgestones?
Are they RE050A?? - Do they have the exact same daa on the side wall as the ones that came off?

Cheers.
__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
2GPP
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South, UK

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

Correct 2.9 Bar is what BMW recommend according to the info chart on the door pillar. 3.3 Bar 5 up with luggage!!The tyre fitter was shocked they should be so high and recommended a lower pressure...however I guess BMW know best. I think I will increase the pressures a bit now the car is all balanced and see what it is like. currently though it is fine - I have only done about 800 miles mixed driving in last week and it seems fine...although I was past the wear indicator on my previous Bridgestones (16k miles)!!
As I said I could not get any Bridgestones not even from BMW and so ended up paying more for the Michelins - £230 each (including VAT and fitting) and they ended up balancing the wheels all round and check the tracking for no additional cost. Still mighty expensive for tyres though!! Made even worse when the wife thinks she should get a couple of new outfits cause of how much I spent on some "stupid tyres"!!
I would recommend palying a bit with the pressures and checking your gauge is still accurate.
You got me thinking I need to probaly increase my pressures!
__________________
E91 335i M Sport
2GPP is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
booforty
Major General
 
booforty's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

Posts: 8,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Interesting to hear how sensitive the car is to tyres. I'm on Michelins and am really pleased with the ride and low level road noise.
booforty is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2006, 02:59 AM   #6
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

Let us know how it works out. With winter coming, pressures will fall quickly due to lower temp (0.1 Bar down for every 10C drop). It was probably okay in summer due to higher temps. Much lower and you could loose grip!

I think the BMW spec is good but they are for 4 passengers - if you drive mainy on your own then I think a little lower is okay, say 0.1 Bar. I find that tyre fitters seem to think ALL cars need ~30psi/2.0Bar.

Are they wearing evenly?

My wife thought the same but did so! I got my own back with a full Swissol valet

I also wonder, if the factory tyres may have been a newer spec - softer - as I keep reading about 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th generation RFT tyres??

I will check gauge against another I have as they can go awol.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP
Correct 2.9 Bar is what BMW recommend according to the info chart on the door pillar. 3.3 Bar 5 up with luggage!!The tyre fitter was shocked they should be so high and recommended a lower pressure...however I guess BMW know best. I think I will increase the pressures a bit now the car is all balanced and see what it is like. currently though it is fine - I have only done about 800 miles mixed driving in last week and it seems fine...although I was past the wear indicator on my previous Bridgestones (16k miles)!!
As I said I could not get any Bridgestones not even from BMW and so ended up paying more for the Michelins - £230 each (including VAT and fitting) and they ended up balancing the wheels all round and check the tracking for no additional cost. Still mighty expensive for tyres though!! Made even worse when the wife thinks she should get a couple of new outfits cause of how much I spent on some "stupid tyres"!!
I would recommend palying a bit with the pressures and checking your gauge is still accurate.
You got me thinking I need to probaly increase my pressures!
__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

I was too until replacing the rears. In fact I did not understand what all the fuss was about, regarding RFT's and ride, as the original factory tyres were suprisingly good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty
Interesting to hear how sensitive the car is to tyres. I'm on Michelins and am really pleased with the ride and low level road noise.
__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2006, 05:40 AM   #8
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

I've checked over the old and new tyres to see if there is any difference?

All tyres are Bridgestone 255/35R18 90W's.

The only differeces I can find are these numbers:-

Old
K0203 050AEZ DKM2705
K0204 050AEZ DKM2705

New
K0204 050AEZ DKM5205
K0150 050AEZ DKM4805

Does anyone know what the first block means, starting with K0?

The middle block seems to be the tyre model. Not sure what EZ means?

I believe the last four digits are the week of manufacture and year. So my old tyre were both made in week 27 or 2005. The new tyres were made in weeks 48 and 52 of 2005.
__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
TrackJunkie
Enlisted Member
 
TrackJunkie's Avatar
 
Drives: Interlagos Blue '13 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Tire Markings

I am from the States, so we may have different tire markings. The K0>>> may be the tire curing press cavity. We have the following on tires here - 2111 DOT M6 7K CUER 05 06
- example which means the following
Press DOT Plant Size Construction week year

If you can see the DOT code, I might be able to see if the construction changed and that could be the slight difference from the old tires.
__________________


Interlagos Blue 20134 M3 Coupe, Comp Pkg, DTC, iDrive, No other options to keep it light
View My Garage -
http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...garage&id=7562
TrackJunkie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

I will check and post ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackJunkie
I am from the States, so we may have different tire markings. The K0>>> may be the tire curing press cavity. We have the following on tires here - 2111 DOT M6 7K CUER 05 06
- example which means the following
Press DOT Plant Size Construction week year

If you can see the DOT code, I might be able to see if the construction changed and that could be the slight difference from the old tires.
__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
2GPP
Private First Class
 
Drives: E91 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South, UK

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

How did you get on with your tyres?
Did you get the set up sorted out?
__________________
E91 335i M Sport
2GPP is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
thebigman
Private First Class
 
thebigman's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 320d SE
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Scotland

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

I had all four 18” Continentals replaced a week ago (after just 15k miles) after spotting a nail in one of the rears. Quite why the front tyres where replaced as-well is anyone’s guess – anyway the tram-lining on the new rubber is appalling. Has anyone else experienced this on fresh rubber?

thebigman is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

The DOT numbers are the same on the new and old tyres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d
I will check and post ASAP.
__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

I've been driving around for a week with the rear tyres down by 0.05 bar (0.75 psi) at 2.65 bar. I'm amazed that this would have any effect but it does. Ride is better around town but seems to affect turn-in - rear feels less eager to turn-in. Front seems to tramline even more. Going back to spec this weekend (2.4/2.7 bar). Maybe these tyres just need time to bed-in? Will post again next week.

I'm also getting the humming noise from front tyres (originals) that many US posters have mentioned in other threads. Could the problem be with the front tyres and not the new tyres on the rear?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP
How did you get on with your tyres?
Did you get the set up sorted out?
__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #15
carl_d
General
 
carl_d's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK

Posts: 681
iTrader: (0)

If you haven’t already done so, I suggest checking the pressures – all fitters seem to put 2.0 bar in all tyres regardless.

Was your car supplied with Continentals form the factory? I did not know they were BMW approved for 18"? I've only seen Bridgestone’s and Michelin’s on 18’s.

As to why they replaced all four - were they trying to avoid mixing tyres for different manufactures?

These run-flats are a whole new ball game!


Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman
I had all four 18” Continentals replaced a week ago (after just 15k miles) after spotting a nail in one of the rears. Quite why the front tyres where replaced as-well is anyone’s guess – anyway the tram-lining on the new rubber is appalling. Has anyone else experienced this on fresh rubber?

__________________
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST