E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Dr Color Chip = waste of money

08-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
AlB
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 330i MT gry/blk

Dr Color Chip = waste of money

Just wasted an hour of my life trying the "Miracle" of Dr Color chip. Verdict is that your better off with a paint pen. Color match is 10/10 (Graphite) but the rest is a waste. Tried every imaginable technique, light wiping med wiping dabbing not dabbing and it just takes off the paint
      08-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
HighVoltage

Drives: 07 E90 335i

It works for me.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
HighVoltage is offline   United_States
      08-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo

Nothing you get is going to fully get rid of chips larger than the tip of a needle beside a repaint, unless you have the patience of a saint. The Dr. Color Chip product isn't designed to make your bumper look brand new...It's designed to make your bumper "look" new from a few feet away.

The only way to make actual chips disappear is you have to keep building up the paint past the chip itself and sand away the excess and use rubbing compound to smooth it out. That entire process, when done as "touch-up," will take weeks and weeks. If you've got chips bigger than the tip of a needle to completely get rid of it you will likely have to have the panel sanded down and re-painted (and it'll be done much quicker too).

What Dr. Color Chip does a pretty darn good job of, is getting rid of what I call "high-way rashes," the result of thousands and thousands of minute sand/dust sizes pits in the clear-coat, the result of sand/dust/tiny road debris kicked up from the car in front of you on the highway traveling at 80mph daily. You just smear the paint on, use the included solvent to dilute and fill the little pits, and then wait for about 15 minutes for the paint to lightly cure, then run over it with a mild POLISH to bring the luster back. The result is actually pretty darn good.

But for chips? Repaint. My plan is to use the Dr. Color Chip product once every year to minimize the look of a heavily pitted front bumper, then get the bumper repainted every 3 years to keep the front end of the car looking new.
      08-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT

Interesting. I've read so many good things about this stuff, was going to buy a kit just to have.

jopa489 is offline   United_States
      08-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
zaxjax
Major

Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
I used the kit on many vehicles and love using it. It take patience and practice. It is not the end all be all product, and like someone mentioned above it can only repair small chips.
      08-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
roadkillrob
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

I agree - it works like crap - looks good if you step back a bit, but in the end the only way to fix the chip right is to fill it well and water sand and buff it out!

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1
roadkillrob is offline   United_States