E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Leather Seat Wear Bolster



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
steverb5000
New Member
1
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

I've searched the forums quite a bit for folks having a similar issue and have come across a few other threads, but not too many.

My driver's seat bolster appears to be wearing out rather quickly and I am looking for advice.

The car is a 2006 330i with Sports Package and it has around 27K miles on it.

I brought this to the attention of local dealer when car was in for service a few weeks back and was told that this was not covered under warranty.

Thought I'd try my luck at a different dealership and was told, again, that this wasn't covered.

I clean and condition leather every other month or so with Lexol cleaner / Zaino Z10 conditioner / and more recently added the BMW leather conditioner to the mix.

From reading other forums, I've learned that I should be more careful when exiting and entering the car but don't believe I'm doing anything unusual. And I'm not an abnormally sized individual either.

Questions:

1) Is this normal wear? I don't think, so but perhaps I'm too picky.

2) Is there anyway that I can get this covered under warranty? I bought the car CPO'd and spent a small fortune on it. BMW wants to charge me upwards of 1300 dollars to replace the seat back leather. This seems utterly insane. My Jetta NEVER had problems like this, nor did my Acura.

2) If I can't get this covered under warranty, is there a good solution for repair? I've looked into some leather repair shops in the DC area but haven't found anything yet.

3) Is there a DIY solution, or am I asking for trouble? I looked into Leatherique dye but worry that I might make the problem worse.

Thanks so much in advance. I try really really hard to take good care of my car as I want to make it last as long as I can. Am really bummed that the leather is wearing so poorly.

thx!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
jopa489's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
6,561
Posts

 
Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (8)

It's common on these cars. Unfortunately, dealers tend to replace this only if there is something physically broken/ripped/torn. You could try raising hell at your dealer about it and see how it goes - just depends how aggressive you want to be.

My 750i has the same wear in the same spot. Seen plenty of E9x cars around here with the same wear too.

I'm not familiar with repairing leather, so can't offer any advice there.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
93
Rep
7,919
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
I'm interested to hear if you find anything around DC. From what I understand, side bolster wear is very common and not just in our cars, but any cars with deeply bolstered leather seats. It's from rubbing against your rear as you enter or exit. You need to be very conscious of that on your way in and out of the car. Sorry to see it, but it really doesn't look that bad and hopefully someone can dress it up for you to the point where it's difficult to see.
__________________


330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Alan(iX)
Private First Class
Alan(iX)'s Avatar
1
Rep
152
Posts

 
Drives: 325iX, 335, 530
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverb5000 View Post
I've searched the forums quite a bit for folks having a similar issue and have come across a few other threads, but not too many.

My driver's seat bolster appears to be wearing out rather quickly and I am looking for advice.

The car is a 2006 330i with Sports Package and it has around 27K miles on it.

I brought this to the attention of local dealer when car was in for service a few weeks back and was told that this was not covered under warranty.

Thought I'd try my luck at a different dealership and was told, again, that this wasn't covered.

I clean and condition leather every other month or so with Lexol cleaner / Zaino Z10 conditioner / and more recently added the BMW leather conditioner to the mix.

From reading other forums, I've learned that I should be more careful when exiting and entering the car but don't believe I'm doing anything unusual. And I'm not an abnormally sized individual either.

Questions:

1) Is this normal wear? I don't think, so but perhaps I'm too picky.

2) Is there anyway that I can get this covered under warranty? I bought the car CPO'd and spent a small fortune on it. BMW wants to charge me upwards of 1300 dollars to replace the seat back leather. This seems utterly insane. My Jetta NEVER had problems like this, nor did my Acura.

2) If I can't get this covered under warranty, is there a good solution for repair? I've looked into some leather repair shops in the DC area but haven't found anything yet.

3) Is there a DIY solution, or am I asking for trouble? I looked into Leatherique dye but worry that I might make the problem worse.

Thanks so much in advance. I try really really hard to take good care of my car as I want to make it last as long as I can. Am really bummed that the leather is wearing so poorly.

thx!
The problem is how you get into the car.

I have sport seats in my 88 325iX and 07 335 coupe, neither has this issue.
The 325iX had the issue from the previous owner. I used Leatherque dye to fix the wear.

The incorrect technique is getting in by putting your feet in first and then rotating your body in. That is how it is being worn; your back is rubbing on the bolster.
This technique is OK for seats that do not have bolsters.

The way I get in is to back into the car first (butt first), sit in seat, the bolster is not touched, then rotate your legs in. Weird at first but you get used to it.
Similar technique getting out, rotate legs, then stand up.
Goal is to not rub your back on the bolster.

Go try both techniques and watch how the bolster is being rubbed or notů
__________________
Alan(iX)
1988 BMW E30 325iX
Ordered 6/29/2006, Built 9/6/2006, Delivered 9/29/2006:
2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe, 6MT, space grey, black leather, dark burl, CWP, ZPP, ZSP, Comfort Access, Nav, Power Rear Sun Shade, Park Distance Control, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
steverb5000
New Member
1
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

How did it turn out when you used the Leatherique dye?

Thx!

S
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Not covered, however the wear is 10x better than what people were seeing on the E46.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Alan(iX)
Private First Class
Alan(iX)'s Avatar
1
Rep
152
Posts

 
Drives: 325iX, 335, 530
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverb5000 View Post
How did it turn out when you used the Leatherique dye?

Thx!

S
The color is a very good match.
It will not be perfect as the leather has been a little roughed up.
I'd say 85-90% correct. IMHO It will never be perfect.
The only person that notices is me...
__________________
Alan(iX)
1988 BMW E30 325iX
Ordered 6/29/2006, Built 9/6/2006, Delivered 9/29/2006:
2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe, 6MT, space grey, black leather, dark burl, CWP, ZPP, ZSP, Comfort Access, Nav, Power Rear Sun Shade, Park Distance Control, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Zink330xi
Napoleon
United_States
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: the TiAg Beast
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dayton OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan(iX) View Post
The color is a very good match.
It will not be perfect as the leather has been a little roughed up.
I'd say 85-90% correct. IMHO It will never be perfect.
The only person that notices is me...
Appreciate the advise on the technique. Trying to implement. I am just starting to see wear and it makes me nuts!

Any suggestions on leather care products?
__________________
330XI|6M|TiAg/Schwarz|Sport|Lux|Cold|Xenon|L7
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Fresh330
It is what it is
Fresh330's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
The problem is how you get into the car.

I have sport seats in my 88 325iX and 07 335 coupe, neither has this issue.
The 325iX had the issue from the previous owner. I used Leatherque dye to fix the wear.

The incorrect technique is getting in by putting your feet in first and then rotating your body in. That is how it is being worn; your back is rubbing on the bolster.
This technique is OK for seats that do not have bolsters.

The way I get in is to back into the car first (butt first), sit in seat, the bolster is not touched, then rotate your legs in. Weird at first but you get used to it.
Similar technique getting out, rotate legs, then stand up.
Goal is to not rub your back on the bolster.

Go try both techniques and watch how the bolster is being rubbed or notů
Jesus... now there's a proper way to get in our BMW's?

I'm anal too but don't forget it's just a car.
__________________
e90 | LUX 5.0 | Blacklines | 20% Tint | Sirius
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Perfectus
Major
Perfectus's Avatar
15
Rep
1,240
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NOVA/MD

iTrader: (10)

I tried the "technique" and I look like a robot! lol
__________________
2007 e92 335i - Monaco Blue
ZPP, ZSP, iDrive, Comfort Access

Injen DCI w/ Cyba Scoop - M-Tech Rear - ///M3 Rear Lip Spoiler - ///M5 SMG Shift Knob & iDrive Knob - BMW Performance Hand Brake - BMWCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
MrDummy's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,643
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Unemployment Capitol of America

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
^^ HAHAHHAHA tru dat, I am lucky as in I have good ole tough leatherette
__________________
SuPerMoD @ MassMonsterz.com
A "Happy" Owner of a Metallic Space Gray 2010 BMW 328i
ProGaMeR on the XboX 360
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
D_o_S
LCI'd
53
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Home

iTrader: (1)

I'd say its normal, my friend has worse on his GTI, he's got 40K KM.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
HighVoltage
.
HighVoltage's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
867
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectus View Post
I tried the "technique" and I look like a robot! lol
Thats the way it was done when suicide doors were the norm...
__________________
Not only will it kill you it will hurt the whole time while you're dying.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
HazChem
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
155
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SA, TX

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I had it much worse on my e46. Just the way the seat bolster is designed. I do agree that leather is much better so my e92 still looks like new at 14k miles. I am hoping it lasts but if not, then oh well...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
MCMLXXXIX
wat
MCMLXXXIX's Avatar
54
Rep
3,410
Posts

 
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oct 2008

iTrader: (0)

i should start using that robot technique LOL. im starting to see wear on the coral red! and ive only had my car EXACTLY one year woo!
__________________

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
bimmer01
Private First Class
bimmer01's Avatar
4
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: myrtle beach, sc

iTrader: (4)

Your leather should not be "shiny" like that. It should be soft and supple like a good cathers mit. You have to use a good mild cleaner, followed by a conditioner that replaces some of the natural oils in the leather. Dull=good shiny=bad
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
steverb5000
New Member
1
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Hadn't cleaned leather in a few weeks when photo was taken.

My routine is to clean with Lexol and condition with BMW leather conditioner.

Hopefully that does the trick.

I've used Zaino in the past as well as Lexol conditioner and BMW conditioner. Didn't notice a huge difference with any of them although the Lexol conditioner seems to make the leather a bit less shiny.

Thx!

S
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
kgb1637's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
1,519
Posts

 
Drives: F30 (on its way)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Is it just me or does the black leather seem to wear much faster than the other colors or does it just look that way.
__________________
Retired - '08 E90 335i Sparkling Graphite/Gray Dakota Leather, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, Navi, ipod, Sat
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
drvai
Major
drvai's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,266
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Is there a way to protect the bolster? I noticed that my M3 is starting to wear in that area, even though I keep my seats in mint condition (LIKE NEW), except for that spot. I actually condition the leather every 2 weeks.

The "robot" technique may damage the side bolsters of the seat (lower seat).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #20
RevC
Lieutenant General
RevC's Avatar
122
Rep
11,773
Posts

 
Drives: a couple fast toys
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Voorhees+cherry hill,NJ

iTrader: (26)

looks odd to me, my coupe has the standard rippling on the bolster, but nothing like this..
__________________
-Rev


SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 01:32 AM   #21
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,266
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan(iX) View Post
The problem is how you get into the car.

I have sport seats in my 88 325iX and 07 335 coupe, neither has this issue.
The 325iX had the issue from the previous owner. I used Leatherque dye to fix the wear.

The incorrect technique is getting in by putting your feet in first and then rotating your body in. That is how it is being worn; your back is rubbing on the bolster.
This technique is OK for seats that do not have bolsters.

The way I get in is to back into the car first (butt first), sit in seat, the bolster is not touched, then rotate your legs in. Weird at first but you get used to it.
Similar technique getting out, rotate legs, then stand up.
Goal is to not rub your back on the bolster.

Go try both techniques and watch how the bolster is being rubbed or notů
That's damn good advise! That might be the best thing I've read on this forum, because it also happens to be the right way to get in and out of a car for your spine!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
srcstc
Major
United_States
27
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

This happens when people don't know proper ingress and egress. You can take it to an upholstery shop. They should be able to repair it.

For proper Ingress/egress your left hand (right for pass side) goes on the door sill to support your weight so you can lift your butt up and over the side bolster. ***
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:

Last edited by srcstc; 08-30-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST