E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Leather Seat Wear Bolster

10-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #23
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

You should really check the fine print of your CPO warrantee. I had running problems with my 97' e36 (328is 2-door).

I had the seat cover & cushion on the driver side replaced 4 times under warrantee where it not only got scuffed, but actually wore completely through.
Actually there was a fifth, where a replacement was done with a very poorly matched color. The service guy argued that a good color match was impossible due to the fact that all leather is dyed, and so will very a bit, but the service manager took one look and told the service guy to do it again. It was much better the next time.

I never had any problems getting them to do the work under warrantee, but the only work they would do was replace the leather covers. They said they were not able to do anything about the "underlining cause" (pun intended). It seems the metal frame of the sports seat cause the leather to stretch just a bit, and it's where your but rubs against it when getting in.
However, there was another shiny spot, just where my wallet would push down extra hard.

An earlier poster mentioned that it's common for this wear to be caused by improper method of sitting down in the seat. The correct way is butt first, not feet first. That's the way a bone-doctor told me to always get into a car as feet-first really twists the spine. So I've always done it that way and still got the wear pattern. Actually, my passenger seat was starting to show wear signs too, and it held someone maybe 10% of the time I drove it, and my girlfriend at the time was a little small thing, so being large or tall isn't a requirement to have this problem.

I'm thinking that if the warrantee doesn't cover it, than a nice seat cover might be the best option, as recovering these seats can really rack up the cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #24
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [3.50]
mine does the same
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
Ridiculous
isn't it?
United_States
Rep

Drives: tiag 2011 X6 5.0

Send a message via AIM to Ridiculous
Bought my 335 with some wear on the passenger seat. Black leather shoe polish cleaned it right up.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
jeffvb9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i

Here is a ebay link for dye that works well. Just let them know what color you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-CAR-LEATHER-...item35ad31f1f1

Here is the link to the other thread talking about the same situation:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434223
Appreciate 0