E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Question on Clear Bra film

08-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
bballfreak
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2009 335d

Question on Clear Bra film

am in san antonio and just bought a 2009 335d.
was considering the clear bra film. any drawbacks to install?
i am getting a cost of $595 to $650 for someone to install.
Is the best price? recommendations for installer that does good
work and is reasonable in san antonio.
Is it difficult to install myself?? never have done one.
can get 3m film for like $175 for this car.
was told to do the bumper is tricky.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
      08-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT

I'd recommend getting it done professionally. Make sure the paint below the clear bra is detailed before applying it. You don't want dirt, bugs, swirls, etc sitting below the plastic for years.

jopa489 is offline   United_States
      08-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
TXSurfer
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i E92

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSurfer
I had my car at laredo paint and body in SA a few months ago. They had someone come in and reinstall film when i replaced my front bumper. Used to have a brochure but cant find it. They did a good job though on my 3. You might wanna call up there and ask what company they use. I think the guy who helped me was Matt.
      08-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Momadness
Private

Drives: 08 328i coupe

I bought mine, I would have someone do it, this way you can take it back if the stuff messes up on you at anytime. I had a few bubbles in mine and they fixed it ASAP. Ok as for me I listen to most people and went ahead and sucked it up and bought it. I luv it, but atleast for me the only problem is it stains from bug guts. I have use all the advise to what cleaners and so far nothing works. It's not to noticable but I can see little spots here and there of red or yellow. I try not to think about it and like I say you can only see them really up close. So just keep that in mind. I still would do it over though.
      08-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
cvc 22349a
Colonel

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momadness View Post
I bought mine, I would have someone do it, this way you can take it back if the stuff messes up on you at anytime. I had a few bubbles in mine and they fixed it ASAP. Ok as for me I listen to most people and went ahead and sucked it up and bought it. I luv it, but atleast for me the only problem is it stains from bug guts. I have use all the advise to what cleaners and so far nothing works. It's not to noticable but I can see little spots here and there of red or yellow. I try not to think about it and like I say you can only see them really up close. So just keep that in mind. I still would do it over though.
What kind of film is it? I had Venture Shield installed on my car a couple years ago and bug guts wash/polish right off w/o staining.

OP, your best bet is to have a professional install the film w/a guarantee.
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
      08-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
E92Cristai
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 335i, Accord Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
You should definitely have a shop do it for you but, you can buy the good quality 3m clear bra on ebay for around $200. You also might want to consider getting it for your hood and part of your fenders. Some people do the side mirrors, too.

I love mine and I'm really glad I did it. It's definitely worth it if you don't want rock chips all over your bumper.
E92Cristai is offline   China
      08-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...

Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

~ see attached pics - some of these photos i enhanced them to show the lines... this is not a job for the amateur... go with a professional install - its worth the money in the long run. most diy's end up in throwing away the film in frustration and poor appearance.

complete coverage: hood, fenders, bumper, full rockers, behind rear tires, upper rear bumper, mirrors, door cups, head lamps and fogs.

h&r sport springs / 13mm spacers (f & r) / upper strut bar / sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
      08-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...

Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

~ here is a diy guide i have put together... with over 200 installs under my belt...

Stongard/3M Clear Bra Installation Instructions

Items needed:

1. New large plastic spray bottle
2. Rubbing alcohol
3. Glass cleaner
4. Water
5. Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo (allows you to pull up and re-apply SG for flaws or bubbles during install)
6. Scissors
7. Heat gun / blow dryer
8. Minimum of 2 people to install (required for large pieces)
9. Lots & lots of patience!

Step-by-Step Instructions:

1. Use factory touch-up paint on any stone chips, apply with a toothpick. Allow paint to dry thoroughly.
2. Apply glass cleaner to paint surface, allow glass cleaner to soak. Re-spray and remove with a lint free towel. This removes any dead bugs on the paint surface.
3. Apply straight rubbing alcohol on a towel, apply to paint surface where Stongard (SG) will be applied. This removes any remaining wax.
4. Mix solution: water, rubbing alcohol, and a cap full of Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Shampoo. Shake well.
5. Use scissors to cut out all pieces of SG from backing paper.
6. Start with smallest pieces first.
7. Saturate first area where SG will be applied on the car.
8. Spray finger tips with solution to avoid leaving print on the film.
9. Remove SG from paper and saturate adhesive side of film with solution, re-spray car surface. The wetter the better.
10. Line up SG, and saturate front of film.
11. Squeegee from the inside/out, pushing bubbles outward to the edge of the film.
12. Pull up if necessary to remove flaws, re-soak and re-squeegee.
13. Repeat for each piece.
14. Use heat gun/blow dryer for adhering loose edges. Squeegee. Be careful not to wrinkle film by using too much heat.
15. Apply largest pieces last.
16. Keep all surfaces wet/saturated at all times, until set in place.

Flaws will be present after installation, don’t be alarmed. Park the car in the direct sunlight to aid with flaw removal. Don’t be judgmental until at least a week after installation. Almost all flaws with evaporate with time.

h&r sport springs / 13mm spacers (f & r) / upper strut bar / sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra