E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > touch up paint sucks



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
NoKids
Major
NoKids's Avatar
68
Rep
1,343
Posts

Drives: ...
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
touch up paint sucks

the OEM touch up paint they sell for $40 in the parts department is crap (imo). i used a toothpick to apply miniscule amounts of it to cover rock chips on the bumper and hood. the end result looks like blotches of paint which are darker than my black sapphire color. From far away it looks good, but from up close it looks real messy and amateurish. has anyone had success making this stuff blend in with your paint color?

SAMPLE IMAGE:


HOOD BEFORE touch up (pic was in the shade)


hood after touch up (sunlight exposes the ugly reality of my paint)



full size picture of touch up fugliness here: http://www.leclocher.com/private/hoodRafter.jpg
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
62
Rep
2,904
Posts

Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mind Your Own Fkin Business

iTrader: (3)

I think you need the clearcoat to help it match better...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
icandie
Lieutenant
icandie's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
481
Posts

Drives: E92 328i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to icandie
i will let you know how my touch up job goes.. i'm goign to attempt it this weekend.. i also have sapphire black.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
samchoi604
Colonel
32
Rep
2,323
Posts

Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

iTrader: (3)

I rather have rock chips than touch up paint all over the hood... touch up paint looks like ass.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
MrZ
Second Lieutenant
MrZ's Avatar
Belarus
5
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Try with clearcoat.

But even without clearcoat, my jet black touch up paint blends better... Might be stupid advice, but did you check if it is a black sapphire, not jet black?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
ZuerstBMW's Avatar
Spain
118
Rep
7,425
Posts

Drives: 14 SG F15
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa, FL.

iTrader: (68)

Did you make sure you gave it a good shake?
I use small model paint brushes for my touch up and it always comes out great. Also the paint might have faded a little.
__________________
14 F15 X5 3.5i M-Sport SG Terra, Fineline Oak, Driver Pkg, Prem. Pkg, H/K, Spare, 20" 469M Rims, Park Assist, Surround View, Shades MODS Performance Black Grille & Rocker Panel Decals, Painted Reflectors, 3M Bra, Black OEM X5 Frame
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
SGxi
Major General
Canada
87
Rep
6,805
Posts

Drives: E90 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
You need to apply clear coat to make the colour a little less different.

The sparkling graphite is also a terrible match, but it appears once the clearcoat is applied, the match is much closer.
__________________
MY07 A22 E90 N52Nxi
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
halB
Colonel
halB's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,384
Posts

Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Just north of Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Try Dr. Colorchip:

http://www.drcolorchip.com/
__________________
07 E93 335i - Returned at lease end
09 W211 E350 4Matic Avant Garde - Blk/Blk, AMG pkg w/18". Sport Susp. F1 Asym. Debadged.
09 MkV GTI w/Leather & 18" Huffs. F1 Asym

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
m-technik
Captain
m-technik's Avatar
21
Rep
787
Posts

Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

Touchup paint ALWAYS looks like ass. Trust me, leave the rock chips or get your hood resprayed. Dont even waste your time with that crap.
__________________
Monaco Blue E92 335 - i-Forged Senekas, KW V2 Coilovers, OEM Bmw Aero lip, AFE DCI, LUX H8
Lapis Blue Porsche 986 -Aero kit, 996 5-spoke wheels
Jet Black E36 Ti - E36 M3 drivetrain, Full M-Tech, H&R Coilovers, 3.73 LSD, M-Clubsport interior and much more...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
ZuerstBMW's Avatar
Spain
118
Rep
7,425
Posts

Drives: 14 SG F15
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa, FL.

iTrader: (68)

The only thing with getting the hood resprayed is that the paint will chip bigger if a rock hits again. If resprayed, I would clearguard it to prevent this.
__________________
14 F15 X5 3.5i M-Sport SG Terra, Fineline Oak, Driver Pkg, Prem. Pkg, H/K, Spare, 20" 469M Rims, Park Assist, Surround View, Shades MODS Performance Black Grille & Rocker Panel Decals, Painted Reflectors, 3M Bra, Black OEM X5 Frame
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #11
m-technik
Captain
m-technik's Avatar
21
Rep
787
Posts

Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW View Post
The only thing with getting the hood resprayed is that the paint will chip bigger if a rock hits again. If resprayed, I would clearguard it to prevent this.
Well when i say "Respray" i mean sanded, primed, painted and clearcoated by a bodyshop. If done by a proper shop, it shouldnt chip any easier than factory paint.
__________________
Monaco Blue E92 335 - i-Forged Senekas, KW V2 Coilovers, OEM Bmw Aero lip, AFE DCI, LUX H8
Lapis Blue Porsche 986 -Aero kit, 996 5-spoke wheels
Jet Black E36 Ti - E36 M3 drivetrain, Full M-Tech, H&R Coilovers, 3.73 LSD, M-Clubsport interior and much more...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
NoKids
Major
NoKids's Avatar
68
Rep
1,343
Posts

Drives: ...
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by who's ur daddy? View Post
I think you need the clearcoat to help it match better...
there are two bottles, i think the second one is the clearcoat. i applied it but dont think it made any difference.

i dont remember if i shaked the bottle or not.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
samej
Second Lieutenant
Canada
3
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive IB Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

sounds stupid but try using your finger or a soft dense sponge (women's make up kits have great ones :>) and wipe the touch-up paint when you apply it. Don't try to fill in the chip! Let it dry, lightly wipe excess off the around and over the chip (sponge, polishing compound only if needed - if you have a decent wax job the paint will wipe off your clear coat), and repeat until the chip is filled in level. I polish at the end (and you can cheat by using toothpaste!) then clear coat & polish again.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
DeltaBMW'r
First Lieutenant
DeltaBMW'r's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delta

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samej View Post
sounds stupid but try using your finger or a soft dense sponge (women's make up kits have great ones :>) and wipe the touch-up paint when you apply it. Don't try to fill in the chip! Let it dry, lightly wipe excess off the around and over the chip (sponge, polishing compound only if needed - if you have a decent wax job the paint will wipe off your clear coat), and repeat until the chip is filled in level. I polish at the end (and you can cheat by using toothpaste!) then clear coat & polish again.
This is the method I used on my previous car... it's never the same as original but still better than the chips.

The metal flake in the paint makes it very difficult to match, but like another poster said.. make sure you shake the bottle very well before applying.. and shake it every few minutes while doing the touch-ups.

Also... it's always better to experiment and learn on a less obvious spot. I would do a lower section before I attempt the top on the hood.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Sh0cker
n00b
Sh0cker's Avatar
1
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (9)

The SG paint really needs to be shaken well. I had results like yours the first time...the next time I shook it for a full minute or two and the results were MUCH better.
__________________
His: 08 E92 335i (sold), 99 Corolla beater car
Hers: 09 Tiguan
Previous: 09 e93 328i, 04 WRX, 07 S40, 03 E46 330xi, 04 F4i, 04 EX250
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
SharpC
The truth is more important than the facts.
SharpC's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: AW e92 328
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

shaking the paint will yield better results in terms of color match, but you're always going to see it when you look closely.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
SharpC
The truth is more important than the facts.
SharpC's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: AW e92 328
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halB View Post
Try Dr. Colorchip:

http://www.drcolorchip.com/
If this stuff works as advertised then I'm sold. the results on their site look quite dramatic.

Can you vouch for it?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
picus
Brigadier General
picus's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
4,175
Posts

Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

A few things.

1) BMW touch up doesn't match well. Ask me how I know?
2) The second picture is in the sun, it makes the existing paint look washed out because it is sand blasted, swirled, and generally a little tired looking.
3) The touch up is new, it looks like new paint, so it's like painting a new panel on a car with older paint. It won't match.
4) There is metallic in the paint, the metallic bits are sitting at a different direction than the OEM, which is helping to make it look darker.
5) Clearcoat will make it *darker*, that isn't what you want.

The way to make the chips disappear isn't easy, you need to sand them smooth then compound out the sanding marks. Additionally you need to compound the existing paint so it isn't swirled and doesn't look quite as sandblasted (although you can't get rid of that entirely, it's billions of tiny little indentations in the clear). Something like this:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...-56k-owie.html

Which, incidentally, was written by me.

If you aren't confident about using sandpaper, please don't do it. I'm just trying to illustrate how to make the chips go away.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
Inzane
Lieutenant
Inzane's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: E90 LCI 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
A few things.

1) BMW touch up doesn't match well. Ask me how I know?
2) The second picture is in the sun, it makes the existing paint look washed out because it is sand blasted, swirled, and generally a little tired looking.
3) The touch up is new, it looks like new paint, so it's like painting a new panel on a car with older paint. It won't match.
4) There is metallic in the paint, the metallic bits are sitting at a different direction than the OEM, which is helping to make it look darker.
5) Clearcoat will make it *darker*, that isn't what you want.

The way to make the chips disappear isn't easy, you need to sand them smooth then compound out the sanding marks. Additionally you need to compound the existing paint so it isn't swirled and doesn't look quite as sandblasted (although you can't get rid of that entirely, it's billions of tiny little indentations in the clear). Something like this:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...-56k-owie.html

Which, incidentally, was written by me.

If you aren't confident about using sandpaper, please don't do it. I'm just trying to illustrate how to make the chips go away.

Hi Picus,

Nice writeup. I don't know if you remember me but we had a few conversations on Autopia about E90 color selection a while back. You can take some credit in my final decision on going with Space Grey (vs. Crimson Red or Barbara Red).

Did you check out my picture thread in the photo gallery here?

Jason
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
picus
Brigadier General
picus's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
4,175
Posts

Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
Hi Picus,

Nice writeup. I don't know if you remember me but we had a few conversations on Autopia about E90 color selection a while back. You can take some credit in my final decision on going with Space Grey (vs. Crimson Red or Barbara Red).

Did you check out my picture thread in the photo gallery here?

Jason
Hey Jason, I didn't, but I will.

Just looked, car looks great. I love the LCI front end.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #21
NoKids
Major
NoKids's Avatar
68
Rep
1,343
Posts

Drives: ...
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
The way to make the chips disappear isn't easy, you need to sand them smooth then compound out the sanding marks. Additionally you need to compound the existing paint so it isn't swirled and doesn't look quite as sandblasted (although you can't get rid of that entirely, it's billions of tiny little indentations in the clear). Something like this:

If you aren't confident about using sandpaper, please don't do it. I'm just trying to illustrate how to make the chips go away.
Trust me Picus, i wont attempt to sand my paint. There must be more rock chips in my paint than stars in the universe. It's kinda depressing.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #22
picus
Brigadier General
picus's Avatar
Canada
59
Rep
4,175
Posts

Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
Trust me Picus, i wont attempt to sand my paint. There must be more rock chips in my paint than stars in the universe. It's kinda depressing.


Odds are with some careful touchups, a proper sanding, and good compound it would look 100x better, but the issue then is that it'll happen again if you don't clear bra it. And will it look good enough to clear bra? Touch call. Most people just try to keep up on the big chips and leave it alone once it's sandblasted.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST