E90Post

Alpine HID

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Unbelievable limp!

08-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
mhkm
The Doctor

Drives: 2007 E92 335i AW

Unbelievable limp!

My car threw a limp (half-engine light) just after starting up the other day. I turned the car off and waited for a minute, restarted, lit right back up... tried a third time and got the light again... however, this time after I turned the car off, I get the red engine oil light for just a tiny second before the half-engine light comes on again... So I am going WTF?! Oil light??!!! So I check the engine control lever to see the engine oil level and it shows zero engine oil!!!!!
I pop the hood and open up the oil cap... what catches my attention is thick, black greasy gunk hanging from the underside of the cap... with more of the same sh** on top of the engine parts within.... is this normal????

So I had some castrol full synthetic factory oil left over from my last oil change (3000 miles back, and done by dealer), and I added nearly two quarts...

Got in the car, started up, and voila! no engine light. I check the engine oil level and it now reads at max!!!

SO WTF IS GOING ON?????? IS THIS MY ENGINE OIL CONDENSED AND HANGING FROM THE FILLER CAP???? WHERE IN HELL DID ALL THAT OIL GO?

My car has only had oil replaced at the dealer, and I have never seen a drop of oil on my garage floor.... My car does not smoke (from the exhaust, that is...) either!!!

Forum techs, PLZ HELP!!!
      08-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
scalbert
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody

Could be oil sludge which is not good. I would take it to the dealer ASAP.
      08-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
lsdless
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i 6MT

I just hit 6000 miles and I had to add a quart. Engines burn oil when you run them hard.
lsdless is offline   United_States
      08-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
mhkm
The Doctor

Drives: 2007 E92 335i AW

From what I make of it, I believe it must be oil sludge as you say scalbert, thanks....
Only thing is my dealer gave me a two week appointment schedule!!!
Any suggestions? Can I wash this sludge out myself somehow?
      08-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
scalbert
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkm View Post
From what I make of it, I believe it must be oil sludge as you say scalbert, thanks....
Only thing is my dealer gave me a two week appointment schedule!!!
Any suggestions? Can I wash this sludge out myself somehow?
I would consider taking it there and showing them. I would not drive it if I didn't have to as there could end up being major damage if it is sludge.
      08-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
kyleb350
Brigadier General

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

You need to wait a while after starting before checking the oil level. Af far as the limps go, I have no clue. Could be a few things, so get the codes checked out at the dealer.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
      08-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
MrWhite1015
Major General

Drives: MINIVAN

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to MrWhite1015
go have a sample of it tested ... i think its like $60 bucks... you can get lots of good info from testing it
      08-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
thkfast
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i Sedan

My car went into half power limp mod with CEL when I was 1 quart low on oil. Added the quart, light went away, full power restored. Owners manual advises not to add more than 1 quart of oil at a time. FWIW.

2010 E90 335i Montego Blue / Gray Dakota Leather / ZSP ZPP STEP / SSTT / AluFelgen CS7's / M3 lip spoiler / Gloss Black Kidneys / K&N drop-in / Full-time Dual Exhaust