E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > safest mod(s)?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Gibson6594
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

safest mod(s)?

I am getting anxious to mod my 335, but I want to start slow. I know all mods have some element of risk, but what should I start with as a low level, low power increase mod? I may move on to bigger and better things eventually, but I need to crawl first.

I know intakes are not very effective and cause arguable power increases, maybe even decreases. I'm not interested in sound and cosmetic mods, only power increasing mods.

Any Suggestions?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Army X5 S5
Lieutenant Colonel
Army X5 S5's Avatar
No_Country
18
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Deployed to Kuwait

iTrader: (2)

Get yourself some Stickers, they have to add a few HP...

In all seriousness, hmmm why don't you start off with an exhaust system from HKS or AE (or if you want to stay within warranty get the BMW Performance Exhaust)

A tune will work wonders (although that's not a low level mod) Unless you go with something like the JB+
IF you want a full blown tune either go with PROcede or JB3...

Working on your suspension will improve your ride (although it may or may not make your ride faster) but you'll be able to take those turns at a higher rate of speed.

Might look into those Pulleys that Roozie is talking about on the forum here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293350 At a little over $200+ they aren't a bad investment...

That's just my .02.. OThers will chime in as necessary, or they might just flame you and say use search...
__________________

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust, Boopie Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter...
Audi S5 2013 (Delivery Sept 2013): Mods pending review
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
476
Rep
15,017
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

JB3 on Map1 Very safe, no codes and when you decide you need more power its a map switch away

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Gibson6594
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I'm thinking I might try the JB+

I just have no experience with tuning and it makes me a little nervous.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Gibson6594
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army335xi View Post
Get yourself some Stickers, they have to add a few HP...

In all seriousness, hmmm why don't you start off with an exhaust system from HKS or AE (or if you want to stay within warranty get the BMW Performance Exhaust)

A tune will work wonders (although that's not a low level mod) Unless you go with something like the JB+
IF you want a full blown tune either go with PROcede or JB3...

Working on your suspension will improve your ride (although it may or may not make your ride faster) but you'll be able to take those turns at a higher rate of speed.

Might look into those Pulleys that Roozie is talking about on the forum here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293350 At a little over $200+ they aren't a bad investment...

That's just my .02.. OThers will chime in as necessary, or they might just flame you and say use search...
I'm gonna get some hardcore stickers and window decals that add at least 20hp each.

Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Slidewayz
Major
Slidewayz's Avatar
15
Rep
1,176
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (5)

Safest mod...
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Gibson6594
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Safest mod...
For the car lol

Get your mind out of the gutter
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Army X5 S5
Lieutenant Colonel
Army X5 S5's Avatar
No_Country
18
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Deployed to Kuwait

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Safest mod...
Someone had to go there....

For the last time you can't have little Bimmers running around, even if you tried...
__________________

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust, Boopie Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter...
Audi S5 2013 (Delivery Sept 2013): Mods pending review
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
70
Rep
3,593
Posts

 
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (13)

bro get ur self a

BMS JuiceBox Stage III

and just run map-1 im telling u its worth every penny and if u wan't a little more juice ur only a few clicks of the pedal away!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
AWMSPORT's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
748
Posts

 
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Fla

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
__________________
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Gibson6594
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

The thing about that JB3 is I don't want to install and remove every time I go to the dealer. I could do it with the JB+.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Army X5 S5
Lieutenant Colonel
Army X5 S5's Avatar
No_Country
18
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Deployed to Kuwait

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B330i View Post
WTF?!?

IF you following the install videos both the PROcede and JB3 are quite easy to install... I can install a PROcede in about 10-15 minutes, same on the un-install... I'm sure its the same for the JB3... SO it's really not that complicated...
__________________

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust, Boopie Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter...
Audi S5 2013 (Delivery Sept 2013): Mods pending review
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
476
Rep
15,017
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
The thing about that JB3 is I don't want to install and remove every time I go to the dealer. I could do it with the JB+.
The JB+ comes with a 6-month free upgrade policy so you can switch to the JB3 for full credit so that might be a great way for you to start.

PM me for more info if you are interested.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
NRG's Avatar
Russian Federation
22
Rep
1,659
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 35d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal QC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
JB3 on Map1 Very safe, no codes and when you decide you need more power its a map switch away

Mike
I second that. Start with JB3 right away and a BMS gauge if you can. MAPs 1 to 3 are perfect way to start. Stock like drivability and smoothness, just with more power. Got used to the power with time?, just up the map.
__________________

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
NRG's Avatar
Russian Federation
22
Rep
1,659
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 35d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal QC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army335xi View Post
WTF?!?

IF you following the install videos both the PROcede and JB3 are quite easy to install... I can install a PROcede in about 10-15 minutes, same on the un-install... I'm sure its the same for the JB3... SO it's really not that complicated...
I find it actually easier with PnPs then brake your hand while reaching to the TMAP.
__________________

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
RiXst3r
RiXst3r's Avatar
153
Rep
6,509
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Boost Gauge?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #17
Gibson6594
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

It's tough for me because I live in a apartment building. Not very easy to take my car apart and remove ECU base tunes.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #18
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
325
Rep
10,619
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
I am getting anxious to mod my 335, but I want to start slow. I know all mods have some element of risk, but what should I start with as a low level, low power increase mod? I may move on to bigger and better things eventually, but I need to crawl first.

I know intakes are not very effective and cause arguable power increases, maybe even decreases. I'm not interested in sound and cosmetic mods, only power increasing mods.

Any Suggestions?

Many thanks.
GIAC flash is probably the best bang for the buck and cannot be detected by your dealer.

Keep the mods subtle and don't be threatened by modding - this will ruin the experience what is possible out of your BMW's powerplant.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #19
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
645Nm's Avatar
South Africa
11
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: sapphire black 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nomad

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
BT tool
__________________

JB4. 15ohm /Catless DPs/BMS DCI/BHS Oil Catch Can/RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit/CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & DV's/DREAMLIST:Upgraded Turbos
REVIEWS: Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol//BMW Performance Exhaust//RPI Intercooler//Race Camara Mount
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
645Nm's Avatar
South Africa
11
Rep
425
Posts

 
Drives: sapphire black 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nomad

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

Keep the mods subtle and don't be threatened by modding - this will ruin the experience what is possible out of your BMW's powerplant.
Eish...Great advice I can't be subtle but i agree for starters, the best way to go.
__________________

JB4. 15ohm /Catless DPs/BMS DCI/BHS Oil Catch Can/RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit/CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & DV's/DREAMLIST:Upgraded Turbos
REVIEWS: Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol//BMW Performance Exhaust//RPI Intercooler//Race Camara Mount
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
Army X5 S5
Lieutenant Colonel
Army X5 S5's Avatar
No_Country
18
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Deployed to Kuwait

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
It's tough for me because I live in a apartment building. Not very easy to take my car apart and remove ECU base tunes.
Poor Excuse... I live in a Condo in the bronx (no parking lot attached or underground), and when I had my accord, I did all my mods out on the street... And If I were to MOD my 335, I would do it on the street as well...
__________________

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust, Boopie Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter...
Audi S5 2013 (Delivery Sept 2013): Mods pending review
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST