E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY- Rear Power Outlet DIY for US Cars



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #287
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
6
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Prince Albert, SK

iTrader: (0)

Any Canadians do this?

Where is the best place to get these parts in Canada? Is Crown Auto still a good alternative? I also want to get the sunglass holder and to replace the rear ashtray with the cubby. Will I need all these part numbers ahead of time or will whoever I talk to be able to look them up?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #288
Brent
Private
1
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Inland Empire, CA / So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Gentlemen: I may have found a source for the original BMW connectors (at least the plastic housing halves). I just ordered some, and will let you know when they arrive if they are indeed the correct items. If they are, I will post the vendor, part numbers, price, etc.
Well, bad news. They were the correct color & shape, but too large. They will not work. I have something else, though.

I just finished my robot install. I did it with the storage compartment instead of the ashtray.

I took the idea from some previous posters and made a harness, so that the mod is true P-N-P, and can be removed, the old piece put back in, leaving no evidence of the mod, as no BMW wires were cut.

I did find a better MOLEX style connector to use. The Radio Shack pieces fit loosely, and the pins & sockets they came with were oversized, made from really cheap looking crudely-stamped aluminum. I went to a local electrical components house called Abletronics, and found some by Philmore - they fit really well. The two halves that make up the connector are:

1. "Male" plastic piece: PN 61-202

2. The "female" plastic piece: PN 61-242

Now both of these come with the MALE crimp-on pins, so make sure you buy some FEMALE crimp-on pins to replace where needed.

So anyway I made up a wiring harness as above, with the plastic pieces that go over the BMW pieces fitting very snugly. The plastic plug that goes into the BMW piece where the old power connector is broken (where the green & brown wires change to red & brown) had to be reshaped. I used a grinder to shape the outside of the plastic piece, and then hand-filed it smooth. You also have to add a groove in the Philmore piece so that it will slide into the BMW piece. I did that with a soldering iron, melting a v-shaped channel by hand, followed by smoothing it out with a box cutter blade.

All told, it took about an hour, everything went together very well, and I did not cut nor alter any original BMW pieces on the car. I have power in all receptacles (front ashtray, console compartment, and the two newly added sockets) and no error messages.

Thanks to everyone who posted plans & advice before. This was my first mod, and it went very well due to the gracious help of those who went before me.

I did not take any pictures, as the thread has photos for everything already.

The cool thing is that I will add the Droid F8Z445 charger to one side to make it a USB charger - it is just about flush-mount. That way I will have a dedicated USb charger & an extra 12 V outlet as well.


Last edited by Brent; 06-07-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #289
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
Ferruccio's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

iTrader: (1)

I finally installed the rear power outlets! I actually got the panel as a Christmas present from my brother (He owns a Harley, so, is used to doing these accessory mods all the time).

I was going to go with the drawer, but, since I had an LCI sedan, which seems to mean "delete all drawers from interior" I went with an open compartment with a foam insert. So, my robot's got an open mouth.

I didn't need to cut any wires at all. Since the like-colored wires are all sharing the same voltage, I just clamped the wire connectors partway up.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #290
fongboy
Private
fongboy's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: AW 2010 335d non-sport, JBD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: greenwich ct

iTrader: (0)

I need some serious help. I can't stand not having an outlet in the rear. I'm looking for the part numbers for the BLACK rear console part, partion, and partion insert. I look everywhere but can't seem to find it them. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #291
Romanian nightmare
Second Lieutenant
Romanian nightmare's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
236
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i M-pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongboy View Post
I need some serious help. I can't stand not having an outlet in the rear. I'm looking for the part numbers for the BLACK rear console part, partion, and partion insert. I look everywhere but can't seem to find it them. Thank you
Try this....http://www.ecstuning.com/ES251889/ES83971/ or just go to your local BMW dealer....once you get the exact part number from them, you may find it cheaper on line...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #292
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I finally installed the rear power outlets! I actually got the panel as a Christmas present from my brother (He owns a Harley, so, is used to doing these accessory mods all the time).

I was going to go with the drawer, but, since I had an LCI sedan, which seems to mean "delete all drawers from interior" I went with an open compartment with a foam insert. So, my robot's got an open mouth.

I didn't need to cut any wires at all. Since the like-colored wires are all sharing the same voltage, I just clamped the wire connectors partway up.

I like the drawer (Do you have the part number for this?)

Also, what do you mean your clamped wires?

Thanks

I build computers etc.. and do stuff like this just looking for clarification
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #293
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
Ferruccio's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
I like the drawer (Do you have the part number for this?)

Also, what do you mean your clamped wires?

Thanks

I build computers etc.. and do stuff like this just looking for clarification
I didn't cut off the ends of the wires and press the ends through the quick connects. Instead, I just put the wires side by side and quick connected them together, above the plug. At the very least, the only "damage" can be fixed with a wrap of electrical tape.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #294
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I didn't cut off the ends of the wires and press the ends through the quick connects. Instead, I just put the wires side by side and quick connected them together, above the plug. At the very least, the only "damage" can be fixed with a wrap of electrical tape.

Similar to this:
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #295
jon328i
Wheelmaster
jon328i's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: E90 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

This DIY is very helpful, did my own retrofit. Thanks again to Evan/Jason (getbmwparts.com) for taking care of my order. Just arrived today and my installation is straightforward.

Parts: Black Interior
51-16-7-150-155 - Covering Rear
51-16-7-156-472 - Foam Insert, rear B
51-16-7-154-481 - Storing Partition


My old cover, left side peeling off due to my kid using this as his kick panel

And my new panel:
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #296
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon328i View Post
This DIY is very helpful, did my own retrofit. Thanks again to Evan/Jason (getbmwparts.com) for taking care of my order. Just arrived today and my installation is straightforward.

Parts: Black Interior
51-16-7-150-155 - Covering Rear
51-16-7-156-472 - Foam Insert, rear B
51-16-7-154-481 - Storing Partition


My old cover, left side peeling off due to my kid using this as his kick panel

And my new panel:


What was your total?

Also how did you do your power connections? w/ the little connector or?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #297
jon328i
Wheelmaster
jon328i's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: E90 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

to JDLM

my total was $99 shipped to my house in L.A.
For the power connection, i just tapped to the orange and brown wire (basic parallel connection) of the existing power wire on the left side part of the rear console using butt splice and quick connect
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #298
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon328i View Post
to JDLM

my total was $99 shipped to my house in L.A.
For the power connection, i just tapped to the orange and brown wire of the existing power wire on the left side part of the rear console using butt splice and quick connect
Not bad price wise, I am pretty comfortable w/ wiring things just a tad nervous about this car

Will this be doable:

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #299
jon328i
Wheelmaster
jon328i's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: E90 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Similar to this:
i used this quick connect to tap to the factory orange/brown wire
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #300
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Awesome, looks like I need to add more parts to my list of stuff (actual wire pics would be good)

I did/do electronics for a living I am sure I am over thinking this
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #301
jon328i
Wheelmaster
jon328i's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: E90 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Awesome, looks like I need to add more parts to my list of stuff (actual wire pics would be good)

I did/do electronics for a living I am sure I am over thinking this
Here are some pics of the connectors:





Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #302
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
3,278
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Thanks, will be ordering doesn't look hard
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #303
intermediatic
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi 2011 LeMansBlue M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Alright…*so I have a 2011 e90. I popped the rear off and noted that if I disconnect the power adapter with the brown and red wires, I lose power to the cigarette lighter in the central armrest. I saw that as success as that adapter perfectly fit the rear console plug for the dual cigarette lighter! Yay. Except that with it connected to the new rear console I had no power to the lighters. WHAT?

Do I have a defective part or is it that the wires are reversed? The new rear console has brown wire going to the red wire from under the central armrest and the red wire going to the brown wire from the central armrest. Is this why there isn't power? If so, is there an easy way to pull those wires out of the plug without destroying it? Sure would be nice. I'd rather have a 100% reversible solution with two plugs in the back instead of a semi-useless plug in the central console.

Or am I making some kind of weird mistake? Can I reverse the plugs? Do I maybe have a defective unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #304
jon328i
Wheelmaster
jon328i's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: E90 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intermediatic View Post
Alright…*so I have a 2011 e90. I popped the rear off and noted that if I disconnect the power adapter with the brown and red wires, I lose power to the cigarette lighter in the central armrest. I saw that as success as that adapter perfectly fit the rear console plug for the dual cigarette lighter! Yay. Except that with it connected to the new rear console I had no power to the lighters. WHAT?

Do I have a defective part or is it that the wires are reversed? The new rear console has brown wire going to the red wire from under the central armrest and the red wire going to the brown wire from the central armrest. Is this why there isn't power? If so, is there an easy way to pull those wires out of the plug without destroying it? Sure would be nice. I'd rather have a 100% reversible solution with two plugs in the back instead of a semi-useless plug in the central console.

Or am I making some kind of weird mistake? Can I reverse the plugs? Do I maybe have a defective unit?
You do not need to disconnect anything, you just need to tap to the existing brown/red wire with white connector, parallel connection. You cannot reverse the plugs. And also use a voltmeter to check/verify the connections. You can PM me if you have any questions. Goodluck.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #305
Homer603
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Canada order

Had to have this mod too for my 2007 335i.
Part # was 51-16-7-150-155 covering rear. Black.
Bought mine from Edmonton BMW for $116.15 + gst = $121.96 delivered to dealership. The computer said there was only one left in Canada and 5 in Germany.
Expensive but I was already at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #306
cjmoy
New Member
0
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d, 2013 Tiguan
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

I just did this mod. It was very easy to do and only took me 20 minutes. Thanks to this thread I didn't have any issues unclipping the old part.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #307
ufarlig
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 320d
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tromso, Norway

iTrader: (0)

I dont know if this is different on US cars and EU cars but I cant seem to get the back panel off.

I get the top clips to loosen but the bottom part wont budge one bit. What am I doing wrong?

The top clips I pull straight back towards me to loosen, what about the lower ones? According to the first picture it looks like you have to pull it left and right but I've tried that as well as straight back
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #308
JimVR4
Second Lieutenant
JimVR4's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: 09 328i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

There are clips at the lower left and right that accept tabs from the console. You have to push the edges of the back panel toward the middle to get the clips to release.
__________________
2009 E90 328i ///M-Sport / Blue Water Metallic / Oyster/Black Dakota / PP / 6MT / 194M / Comfort / iPod+USB w/ProClip charging dash mount / $494 /
1995 3000GT Spyder VR4
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST