E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY- Rear Power Outlet DIY for US Cars



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #133
FrankoQ
Deny everything
 
FrankoQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

Posts: 11,293
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
I ordered the parts and will soon have a screaming robot instead of
a happy one.
$17 total from Tischer BMW in MD.
__________________

I need a drink

FrankoQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #134
KL2DC
Moderator
 
KL2DC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 17,753
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ
I ordered the parts and will soon have a screaming robot instead of
a happy one.
$17 total from Tischer BMW in MD.
Frank, how long 'till they get here??
__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #135
FrankoQ
Deny everything
 
FrankoQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

Posts: 11,293
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
Frank, how long 'till they get here??
The main piece will be here on monday.
The insert rubber piece is in back order and will take a couple of weeks.
__________________

I need a drink

FrankoQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #136
KL2DC
Moderator
 
KL2DC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 17,753
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ
The main piece will be here on monday.
The insert rubber piece is in back order and will take a couple of weeks.
I was about to order from Crown....at the last minute I decided I prefer the happy robot to be back there instead of angry robot....
__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #137
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,812
iTrader: (23)

FYI, my power outlets are now working. I took some channel locks to it and that certainly closed the connections...

I now have the happy robot mod with one eye being poked...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #138
rollout
Enlisted Member
 
rollout's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Broken Arrow, OK

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

DONE! Thanks
rollout is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #139
shragon
Moderator
 
shragon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 27,450
iTrader: (7)

mine just shipped out today.
__________________
shragon is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #140
FrankoQ
Deny everything
 
FrankoQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

Posts: 11,293
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon
mine just shipped out today.
Wow! I just checked the site and mine should arrive...
TODAY!!!
__________________

I need a drink

FrankoQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #141
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,812
iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ
Wow! I just checked the site and mine should arrive...
TODAY!!!

I hope your hands are not throbbing like mine were after using those quick connects...

Needle nose pliers didnt work so well for me in closing those connections...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #142
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston,Florida

Posts: 1,926
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to calvino
Talking

great many people now have happy robots , sreaming robots, robots with the eyes being poked LOL !!!!

Im glad that I was able to help many of you, this is a must have mod!!! is less than $30 and really convenient. everybody should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
I hope your hands are not throbbing like mine were after using those quick connects...

Needle nose pliers didnt work so well for me in closing those connections...
I think the quick connects are great they are really convenient you don't have to cut anything , however you can use any other way like RLC did, you have the main idea allready
__________________
E90 Mytic Blue 330i 07-20-2006. 05-17-2011
Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural? Support NORML
calvino is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #143
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,812
iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvino

I think the quick connects are great they are really convenient you don't have to cut anything , however you can use any other way like RLC did, you have the main idea allready

Yeah... I was actually going to rewire the whole thing without the quick connects... Life was increasingly more difficult until I just said f_ _ _ it and got the quick connects anyway...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #144
FrankoQ
Deny everything
 
FrankoQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

Posts: 11,293
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Yeah... I was actually going to rewire the whole thing without the quick connects... Life was increasingly more difficult until I just said f_ _ _ it and got the quick connects anyway...
Kind of a surprise since I was not expecting my robot to arrive today.
Here he is already making friends with my son's robots. hehe.
Now I just need to wait for his big mouth to arrive next monday.
Name:  DSC03882small.JPG
Views: 1935
Size:  89.2 KB
__________________

I need a drink

FrankoQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #145
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ
Kind of a surprise since I was not expecting my robot to arrive today.
Here he is already making friends with my son's robots. hehe.
Now I just need to wait for his big mouth to arrive next monday.
Attachment 41420
Wait, what big mouth? We were supposed to order another part besides the thing pictures above?
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #146
neuronpetkowski
Captain
 
neuronpetkowski's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Posts: 719
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
Wait, what big mouth? We were supposed to order another part besides the thing pictures above?
I think he's replacing the ashtray with the foam and storage piece that make it a storage area. Opens the "robot's" mouth to look like it's screaming...
__________________
<img src=http://min.us/llSXwa border=0 alt= />

Last edited by neuronpetkowski; 10-06-2006 at 11:19 PM.
neuronpetkowski is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #147
FrankoQ
Deny everything
 
FrankoQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

Posts: 11,293
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuronpetkowski
I think he's replacing the ashtray with the the foam and storage piece that make it a storage area. Opens the "robot's" mouth to look like it's screaming...
That is correct exec.
Look at previous posts from this thread and you will see pictures of that
storage piece.
__________________

I need a drink

FrankoQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #148
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,812
iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ
That is correct exec.
Look at previous posts from this thread and you will see pictures of that
storage piece.


Im just curious... what would you use that storage space for??? I just think it would be too small to store much of anything...

But I also dont have young children riding in the back of my car...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #149
rlc
Captain
 
rlc's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '14 F15d
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Escondido, CA

Posts: 711
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Im just curious... what would you use that storage space for??? I just think it would be too small to store much of anything...

But I also dont have young children riding in the back of my car...
What can you fit in the ashtray other than coins (that rattle) or gum wrappers?

As you can see in my picture with the storage compartment you can store a power cord when not in use. Other items that fit would be a cell phone, iPod, earbud headsets, and this does not even get into packs of gum, candy, makeup, glasses, etc.
__________________
rlc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #150
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,812
iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc
What can you fit in the ashtray other than coins (that rattle) or gum wrappers?

As you can see in my picture with the storage compartment you can store a power cord when not in use. Other items that fit would be a cell phone, iPod, earbud headsets, and this does not even get into packs of gum, candy, makeup, glasses, etc.

Well, I have very few rear seat passengers, and even less items that would sit in the back... Yes, I would rather have the storage compartment than the ashtray, but it wont get used much anyway...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #151
FrankoQ
Deny everything
 
FrankoQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

Posts: 11,293
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Well, I have very few rear seat passengers, and even less items that would sit in the back... Yes, I would rather have the storage compartment than the ashtray, but it wont get used much anyway...
Well, for you singles... I guess no much use.
For me, with a couple of kids... it is great.
It will fit my son's gameboy to start, his little lego star wars figures, other toys, etc.
__________________

I need a drink

FrankoQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #152
triton.
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 Honda Fit
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wilmington, DE

Posts: 810
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 FIT  [1.00]
Just went to Home Depot to get some quick connects. They didn't have any 3M ones, I bought Buchanan "Tap Splices" #16 - #14 AWG. Are those the same thing?
__________________
2009 GE8 Fit SPORT AT Navi - Blue Sensation Pearl


My E90 OEM Front/Side Bumpers for Sale -Here
triton. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #153
FrankoQ
Deny everything
 
FrankoQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

Posts: 11,293
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton.
Just went to Home Depot to get some quick connects. They didn't have any 3M ones, I bought Buchanan "Tap Splices" #16 - #14 AWG. Are those the same thing?
They don't have to be 3M.
As long as they are for 16 gauge wire, you should be ok.
__________________

I need a drink

FrankoQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2006, 02:30 AM   #154
shragon
Moderator
 
shragon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 27,450
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
I hope your hands are not throbbing like mine were after using those quick connects...

Needle nose pliers didnt work so well for me in closing those connections...
you should use a pair of regular pliers when clamping down quick connects. hope your hands are feeling better.
__________________
shragon is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST