E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - E92 CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) Removal



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY - E92 CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) Removal
EvanL
09-13-2006
Hey, just removed the CDV from my 335i today. Very straightforward and much simpler than the CDV removal from my E46 M3. Steps are as follows:

1. Jack the front end up and put it on JACK STANDS. Do not get under a car that is supported by a jack only.

2. Remove the...
  #264  
By Jmichael on 01-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
From all the comments I have read in this thread, it sounds like this simple mod will cure my biggest complaint about my car. I have one point I am a bit confused on though. From some of the comments I have read, I infer that some folks believe there is interaction between the CDV and the (D)TC.

It is my understanding that eliminating the CDV will have no effect on the operation of the traction control system, since the traction control is effected by the braking system. Does anyone have any evidence or opinion to the contrary?

Although the TC can be a proctological nuisance when attempting to climb slippery hills, it is very useful when driving on flat, icy highways.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
By malter2.0 on 02-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
can you just not install the modified CDV, but instead just reconnect the soft line to hard line? in other words, just not have any CDV at all?
Reply With Quote
  #266  
By HyperM3 on 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
can you just not install the modified CDV, but instead just reconnect the soft line to hard line? in other words, just not have any CDV at all?
You can but I wouldnt recommend it. Now youre stretching the lines to fit and thats about 3" of stretching. Theres no reason not to put the CDV back in. Takes an extra minute to do.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
By malter2.0 on 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #268  
By MCOChuck on 03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I didnít bother to read through the responses to see if this has already been covered, but hereís how to mod your own CDV (barrowed from a post on another forum).

This was for BMW part # 2152 6 764 872. Places like Bavarian Autosport are selling moded valves for $30. You can pick one up from the dealer for less than half the cost and mod it yourself in seconds. Or you could always mod the one you take out of your car for free.

Here's how: Put an allen key in the small side of the CDV and tap it with a hammer to push the restrictor out the other side. No need to tap very hard. Now it's ready to be swapped into the car. Hereís a few pics:

On the left is the restrictor, the right is the valve without the restrictor installed (big difference):


This is what the parts looks like disassembled:
Reply With Quote
  #269  
By mr_milo on 03-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOChuck View Post
I didnít bother to read through the responses to see if this has already been covered, but hereís how to mod your own CDV (barrowed from a post on another forum).

This was for BMW part # 2152 6 764 872. Places like Bavarian Autosport are selling moded valves for $30. You can pick one up from the dealer for less than half the cost and mod it yourself in seconds. Or you could always mod the one you take out of your car for free.

Here's how: Put an allen key in the small side of the CDV and tap it with a hammer to push the restrictor out the other side. No need to tap very hard. Now it's ready to be swapped into the car. Hereís a few pics:

On the left is the restrictor, the right is the valve without the restrictor installed (big difference):


This is what the parts looks like disassembled:

GREAT Info!!! Thx
Reply With Quote
  #270  
By E46toE90 on 03-03-2011, 05:55 PM
same way to do this on e90? same location im guessing
Reply With Quote
  #271  
By JaySTee on 03-04-2011, 04:55 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
5
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 100%
E91 CDV Removal

Hi, I have modded my CDV on my E91 by removing the innards from the valve. I have posted pics on my own thread in UK section HERE

The clutch feels much better pulling away, is much more predictable and may be slightly lighter.
Reply With Quote
  #272  
By matrix607 on 03-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Wow, this is a huge complaint for me! Glad that there is a fix for it! MCOChuck thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote
  #273  
By John_01 on 05-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Last week I had this mod done on my car (2009 E90). I ordered a replacement CDV and modified it myself before supplying it to the mechanic for installation.

This mod is a significant change for the operation of the clutch. Its a lot more precise and is a noticable improvement for every aspect of the clutch use. The main benefit is the friction point always occurs at the same position of the clutch pedal, so it takes the guesswork out of using the clutch. I was a bit sceptical of people claiming the 1->2 shift would become smoother, but I am so happy to report most of the notchiness is gone.

I'd been driving the car for 2 years using the stock CDV. From the day I bought the car I realised the clutch was quite clumsy and had unusually soft engagement. Eventually I got used to the delay of the stock CDV. After doing the mod it took me about 2-3 days to properly adjust my shift timing in order to shift smoothly and quickly. Now I regret not doing the mod sooner. The clutch operation is now like a normal car and its a pleasure to use the gearshift. I recommend this mod to everyone.
Last edited by John_01; 05-03-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #274  
By HyperM3 on 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
If anyone needs this done in the tri-state area, PM me. Ive done over 100 already.
Reply With Quote
  #275  
By 3Coupe4Me on 06-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I finally did mine last evening. The setup took the longest and the actual removal took less than a minute. There was plenty of slack on the rubber line so I did not put back the modified CDV, I just mated the hard and soft line together. With minimal fluid loss I tried the clutch and it was as firm as before without bleeding. There is no doubt that there is a little air in the line however the clutch does not need as much force as the brakes so that's why I think is not a major problem with a small bubble in the line.

I was so happy with how easy it was so I took the wife out for a drive and 40 miles and three hours later I'm happy to report that my shifts are now very silky smooth. This mod is a must do.
Reply With Quote
  #276  
By Daiz4yota on 06-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Really want to do this, but dont know if I know how to bleed the clutch properly. I plan on clamping the lines fully and just taking the innards out of the CDV and putting it back in. How hard is it to bleed? How do you do it exactly?
Reply With Quote
  #277  
By Daiz4yota on 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Welp, went ahead and did it today. As stated in here previously, I had a harder time actually getting to the valve than I did modding it. I used a vice clamp with a good amount of pressure, and when I unhooked the valve completely, I prob only lost about 3 drops of brake fluid total. I punched out the inside with an allan key and a hammer, and slid it right back in. Only problem is that the brake fluid rubbed the painted white rings off the CVD when I was reinstalling it. Hopefully this wont cause any warranty problems. Since I didnt really lose any fluid, and the pedal felt great, I didnt do a bleed at all. Seems to be working well. Made a great difference in shifting
Reply With Quote
  #278  
By dman918 on 06-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Would it be better to remove the restrictor in the valve or just remove the valve completely? Any difference?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #279  
By hiter202 on 07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
hey guys got a '11 335i xDrive Coupe E92 (AUTOMATIC) ... i know clutches are on manual cars, but not sure if it applies to BMW as well...can this be done to my Automatic 335i? because i hate when i press on the gas and the car delays for a 3 split seconds and then goes....not sure if this is what it is used for, but if so, please let me know so I can start looking into it.

Also...HyperM3...Im in the Tri-State Area, NY or NJ...how much would you charge to assist with this
Reply With Quote
  #280  
By HyperM3 on 07-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitefusion View Post
hey guys got a '11 335i xDrive Coupe E92 (AUTOMATIC) ... i know clutches are on manual cars, but not sure if it applies to BMW as well...can this be done to my Automatic 335i? because i hate when i press on the gas and the car delays for a 3 split seconds and then goes....not sure if this is what it is used for, but if so, please let me know so I can start looking into it.

Also...HyperM3...Im in the Tri-State Area, NY or NJ...how much would you charge to assist with this
You know, at first I was laughing and then thinking, but now Im quite certain. You answered the question, clutches are on manual cars regardless of manufacture. The CDV(Clutch Delay Valve) would not be on your automatic vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #281  
By hiter202 on 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I am an idiot indeed in that case. I figured since its an automatic and you sort of hear a stock BOV on mine, figured that maybe clutch somehow applies to me as well.

Sorry and thanks HyperM3

Any ideas what can be done in order to remove the delay on mine tho? I figured I'd ask at least.
Reply With Quote
  #282  
By HyperM3 on 07-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitefusion View Post
I am an idiot indeed in that case. I figured since its an automatic and you sort of hear a stock BOV on mine, figured that maybe clutch somehow applies to me as well.

Sorry and thanks HyperM3

Any ideas what can be done in order to remove the delay on mine tho? I figured I'd ask at least.
No worries. What exactly is the delay youre experiencing? Is it a hesitation between pressing the gas pedal and the car actually moving, or is it a delay between pressing the gas pedal and the turbos spooling up?
Reply With Quote
  #283  
By hiter202 on 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
hmm not quite sure, but im coming from an Acura MDX as my last car which is v6 3.7 300hp, so i used to drive it in tiptronic all the time...now i got this baby, but everytime i step on the gas, the car accelerates but slow and then i hear turbos kickin and then the car takes off. so give or take about 5 seconds maybe or so, maybe 3....but when cutting people off cuz of other people stopping short in my lane, not very good to have that delay. also very un-used to the fact that when in tipronic on this car, forward is to down shift and towards me is to up shift, which is VERY uncomfortable for me.
Reply With Quote
  #284  
By HyperM3 on 07-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitefusion View Post
hmm not quite sure, but im coming from an Acura MDX as my last car which is v6 3.7 300hp, so i used to drive it in tiptronic all the time...now i got this baby, but everytime i step on the gas, the car accelerates but slow and then i hear turbos kickin and then the car takes off. so give or take about 5 seconds maybe or so, maybe 3....but when cutting people off cuz of other people stopping short in my lane, not very good to have that delay. also very un-used to the fact that when in tipronic on this car, forward is to down shift and towards me is to up shift, which is VERY uncomfortable for me.
Shoulda got a manual! My sister had an MDX and I know what youre talking about. However, the gas pedal on that truck is very touchy. Every car is different. I would try NOT using the tip and keeping it in drive for a bit. Just let the car learn how you drive. There is a kickdown point where even in drive, if you slam your foot down on the gas pedal to the floor it will downshift automatically and keep the RPM's up.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
By hiter202 on 07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
would be great if I knew how to drive stick lol
but yea, i deff have to get used to the car, lovin' it so far amazing ride.

already did the Golf Tee trick, but seems like it might eat a bit more gas, but i think its a placebo in a way because usually dont pay attention to gas but now i do after doing the mod lol

Next on the list is the BOV mod (which im pretty sure the car does have even tho its Automatic because i hear the hissing sounds when driving =P)

Dont know what else to do for little ammounts of money...considering its a LEASE lol dont want to do anything drastic
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST