E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - E92 CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) Removal



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY - E92 CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) Removal
EvanL
09-13-2006
Hey, just removed the CDV from my 335i today. Very straightforward and much simpler than the CDV removal from my E46 M3. Steps are as follows:

1. Jack the front end up and put it on JACK STANDS. Do not get under a car that is supported by a jack only.

2. Remove the...
  #44  
By rkg on 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
I put mine in after sending two and then receiving one modified valve back from zeckhausen. I got my CDV's in Germany, but they can't be much more here in the states ... around 3 Euro each. So, for a total of around 10 bucks including shipping, it is the only way to go.

Shifting is much better and unless the dealer cuts apart the valve, no way they can tell. Regarding not using a valve, my e90 looked like it had enough slack to do it but did not want to risk the whole dealer issue.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
By s4iscool on 12-09-2006, 08:56 AM
btw, much easier wit a Mityvac 1 man bleeding system
Reply With Quote
  #46  
By M335i on 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Will the modified E90 CDV work with the E92?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
By txusa03 on 12-14-2006, 11:11 PM
lol, let have a cdv terminator meet.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
By 850CSi on 12-17-2006, 02:56 AM
A couple of guys have said that they suspect the difference is really more psychological than anything. I'd like to get more opinions on this if anyone else cares to chime in....


Also, is not having one in the first place as good as having the modified one?


It's so cheap that part of me wants to try it just for the hell of it even though I'm a little skeptical.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
By SROC3 on 01-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M335i
Will the modified E90 CDV work with the E92?
any takers on this one? I'm pretty curious myself actually.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
By Chesmu on 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM
as per the website, yes.
http://www.zeckhausenracing.com/
Reply With Quote
  #51  
By teknochild on 03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
ressurection time

i got my car and ive turned the DTC off a few times for some fun, but it seems like either
A: everyone on this forum lies and the traction is wonderfull, or
B: im burning clutch like there is no tommarow (though im not getting any of that wonderfull smell)

im guessing its B, but at the same time, i feel like its not, normally if a clutch is slipping it will rev way up and then drop down real fast, im not getting any of that, but the lack of any wheelspin what so ever is really disturbing (im not dropping the clutch but im going WOT in 1st the second i i feel its engaged) ive even waited for a bit at 1k to be absolutly sure and then floored it, same at 3k

has everyone just WAY over-exagerated the lack of traction?

the question:
could it be that the CDV is forcing the clutch to slip all the way up until i shift, (note that the car is still accelerating like a rocket though)

maybe the new tires just have a lot of traction and will lose a lot once they wear more?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
By Sho on 03-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I am doing this tomorrow....how to bleed the clutch correctly?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
By Sho on 03-11-2007, 03:08 AM
I did it today with a friend, and we pump the break padel to let the air out. He step on both break and clutch when i open the bleeder valve. We did it couple times, and it is all good now. Now I feel I can drive manual car again :-) (over 10 years experiences with manual cars).
Reply With Quote
  #54  
By Carlito12 on 03-14-2007, 06:20 PM
ordered my modified CDV today...

hope its as good as advertised without the CDV...

will need help in removing the old one and installing the modified one.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

cant do it myself cause i dont have a lift of any sort plus i am not too keen on mechanical stuff...

liitle angle eye mod or the rear fog light mod ... no prob.
but i am weary of removing the wrong pin or not bleeding correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
By 850CSi on 04-09-2007, 02:50 AM
I'm thinking about doing this during the summer..
Reply With Quote
  #56  
By Maestro on 04-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
ressurection time

i got my car and ive turned the DTC off a few times for some fun, but it seems like either
A: everyone on this forum lies and the traction is wonderfull, or
B: im burning clutch like there is no tommarow (though im not getting any of that wonderfull smell)

im guessing its B, but at the same time, i feel like its not, normally if a clutch is slipping it will rev way up and then drop down real fast, im not getting any of that, but the lack of any wheelspin what so ever is really disturbing (im not dropping the clutch but im going WOT in 1st the second i i feel its engaged) ive even waited for a bit at 1k to be absolutly sure and then floored it, same at 3k

has everyone just WAY over-exagerated the lack of traction?

the question:
could it be that the CDV is forcing the clutch to slip all the way up until i shift, (note that the car is still accelerating like a rocket though)

maybe the new tires just have a lot of traction and will lose a lot once they wear more?
To get wheel spin you have to turn off both DSC/DTC, i.e hold the button for 5 secs then they are both turned off. You can smoke off the tires easily with them off, if not you need to press on the gas harder .
Reply With Quote
  #57  
By Maestro on 04-09-2007, 10:19 AM
If you are going to remove the CDV, and do not have someone to help you or even if you do I would recommend buying a brake line vacuum bleeder, it works better then pumping the peddles and you do not get brake fluid all over the place. Remember brake fluid makes great pain remover. I have seen where people bleed brakes and with hands covered in fluid touch the cars paint. Leave a nice permanent hand mark in the paint.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Reply With Quote
  #58  
By teknochild on 04-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
To get wheel spin you have to turn off both DSC/DTC, i.e hold the button for 5 secs then they are both turned off. You can smoke off the tires easily with them off, if not you need to press on the gas harder .

that posts really old btw, but yea i had both off, the issue was that yes, everyone on this forum is full of shit when it comes to traction, combined with the extra traction from the tires being very new
Reply With Quote
  #59  
By Maestro on 04-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
that posts really old btw, but yea i had both off, the issue was that yes, everyone on this forum is full of shit when it comes to traction, combined with the extra traction from the tires being very new
Sorry, your right, I thought the date said 4/7 not 3/7... I smoked off my tires with with no problem even with the CDV
Reply With Quote
  #60  
By SoCal335i on 04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I did the cdv mod on the weekend and the car drives much smoother. I like it way better with the modified cdv.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
By itsbrokeagain on 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post
The purpose of it is to protect noobs from burning up the clutch, however, it's only detrimental to people with standard experience.
Actually if you try to beat on it, it burns up the clutch. Its designed to prevent damage to the transmission from all the harsh abuse by some n00b...


And I didnt read the previous page, so I just n00bed myself by repeating what someone else did.

Since next week is my vacation, I think I will stop down in NJ and pay a visit to them and buy a modified CDV.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
By STE92VE on 04-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanL View Post
Hey, just removed the CDV from my 335i today. Very straightforward and much simpler than the CDV removal from my E46 M3. Steps are as follows:

1. Jack the front end up and put it on JACK STANDS. Do not get under a car that is supported by a jack only.

2. Remove the 6-or-so 8mm screws that hold the center underpanel in place. This should be the one under the transmission, with the air vent in it.

3. Release the clips from the CDV inlet, and the CDV outlet (actually the regular clutch line adapter). These clips are just small, paper-clip like clips that you'll see on some electrical connections (at least on older BMWs).

4. Remove the CDV, and install the rubber clutch line directly into the CDV adapter. Replace the spring-clip on the adapter.

5. Use a 7mm box key wrech and a friend to bleed the clutch valve. Be sure to pump the clutch a few times to get the air out of the system and into the bleed valve inbetween bleed sessions. 2-3 times should be ample.

6. Replace the aerodynamic underpanel.

7. Lower the car, and enjoy your new CDV-less shifting!

-Evan



EDIT: See post #19 for pics.
Just would like some confirmation for what I think I understand and from anyone who has done this.

The CDV is held in place only by clips and no tools are required to remove/install a modified CDV other than a screwdriver to remove the panel that covers the location?

The 7mm box wrench is used to bleed the clutch valve...turning the valve until air/fluid drips out?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
By STE92VE on 04-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriquaguerrero View Post
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i tried to install the modified cdv it was simple but my clutch pedal is loose i bleed the system with 2 different vacum pump all the air is out but the pedal still loose. after 4 hour of messing with it, i called roadside asst the have my car, let see what happens tomorrow.


P.S. I HATE Y`ALL :mad:
Did you refill your brake fluid reservoir?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
By STE92VE on 04-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriquaguerrero View Post

Yes i did
Please keep us informed as to the diagnosis of your problem.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
By MacAttack on 04-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe air is getting back in somehow. Double check it one more time and try again. Sometimes you just need time to think things over before re-attacking.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST