E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Lease return - do dealers want your car?

09-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #45
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335xi --> 06 BSM 330i

Send a message via AIM to wakeboarder109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJc335 View Post
Anyone purchased their leased car way before the lease end, like 6 mths or so. Is that possible? Does BMWFS finance for you that early in advance ?
+1, I'm also interested in this.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #46
matt_335Ci
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i Sport

Garage List
2012 335i sedan  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to matt_335Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJc335 View Post
Anyone purchased their leased car way before the lease end, like 6 mths or so. Is that possible? Does BMWFS finance for you that early in advance ?
you can always buy your lease out early? since you are terminating your lease buy borrowing money from BMW (bmwfs) i bet they would give you a horrible rate if any at all. bmwfs may want to keep you in the lease if you need to borrow from them?

*RETIRED* 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #47
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

I have my 2007 335I coupe coming to the end of it's lease in December. I bought the first coupe sold at my dealership (the only BMW dealership within 65 miles). I ordered it the first month my dealer was taking orders. So I paid $500 off MSRP (obvioulsy not a great deal). The residual is about $28500. I only have 20,500 miles on the car. It's pristine except for one tiny door ding. It's black on black with dark burl walnut trim and AT with Paddles. No mods. No stories. Typical classy looking coupe they'd want to sell quick with low miles (except no Nav).

So... You can look at THIS transaction, or you can factor in the last 3 years also. I paid for a 3-year 10K mile/yr lease, but will only have used roughly 22K miles. One would think I should buy the car and sell it to someone else to try to make up that value. The problem is frigging taxes. Also, the used E92 335i's with similar miles and options have been going for about $30-32K on the private market. So that doesn't seem it's worth the hassle (also... as you sit on a niche car in a small market... it depreciates). The other option is to buy it and keep it. Well, if I pay the residual (no discount), and finance with current rates and ADD this to the total I paid during my lease, I end up about $1K over what I would've paid had I financed it from the start with the rates at that time (I actually guestimated this when I first leased the car).
Also, I can buy MY car (I know how I've treated it) for a little less than what you could buy it for on the open market and CPO it for about $32K plus tax, etc.

What this has taught me is to BUY a car if I want to save money. Lease a car if I want a different car frequently and don't care that overall I'm paying more to use a vehicle.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to buy it, or just go cheap and get something else and dump the "extra" money into my Miata track car (that I already own).

Love to hear any thoughts from people in the same boat.
      09-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #48
craigcayetano
Park Ave Internet Sales
United_States
Rep

Drives: Driving E93 335i Le Mans Blue

200duece is spot on with advice. In my region the 335i coupes starting to come back are holding there value and that is why you won't see a break off the residual value. Then you would have to add the cost to CPO and any reconditioning...If you are buying a 32xi sedan then yes the market is a little more open and then you may be able to get somewhat of a break off the residual before CPO and reconditioning. As for 328xiguy I wouldn't risk buying your car since it may not be able to be CPO'd due to the severity of the accident and would have even more trouble recouping the money you be spending...Look the point of it is BMW doesn't want you to buy your car anymore. If you do you aren't going to be rewarded with a much lower price than the residual. They want that car back in most cases for other new potential buyers. The "Circle" is the fact they can hold more value, will maintain higher residuals and offer "us" future attractive leasing options.

Retired 2007 E92 335i Space Gray|Coral Red Leather
Active 2008 E85 Z4 3.0si Roadster Space Gray|Coral Red Leather

Retired 2006 E90 325i Jet Black|Black leather
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #49
craigcayetano
Park Ave Internet Sales
United_States
Rep

Drives: Driving E93 335i Le Mans Blue

Sorry for the typo's been up since 7:30am starting to nod off...

Retired 2007 E92 335i Space Gray|Coral Red Leather
Active 2008 E85 Z4 3.0si Roadster Space Gray|Coral Red Leather

Retired 2006 E90 325i Jet Black|Black leather
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #50
David 12
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2014 M5 BSM

Hey DrDomer, good to see you are still around. I am in the same boat as you as far as the lease return date and residual. The leases were fantastic back then!

I am ready for a new car so I will turn mine in for something new. If I stay with BMW, I will look at the M3 coupe and 135i. I know they are worlds apart in price but I guess it depends on what kind of deal I can get on the M3.

My standard practice has been to always turn the leased car in and walk away. You intimated that it may not be worth the hassle to buy the car out and try to sell it for a decent profit. That has been my experience as well.

Like I said, I love my car but I am ready for something different.

Good luck in whatever course of action you decide to take.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #51
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: platinum bronze e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
I have my 2007 335I coupe coming to the end of it's lease in December. I bought the first coupe sold at my dealership (the only BMW dealership within 65 miles). I ordered it the first month my dealer was taking orders. So I paid $500 off MSRP (obvioulsy not a great deal). The residual is about $28500. I only have 20,500 miles on the car. It's pristine except for one tiny door ding. It's black on black with dark burl walnut trim and AT with Paddles. No mods. No stories. Typical classy looking coupe they'd want to sell quick with low miles (except no Nav).

So... You can look at THIS transaction, or you can factor in the last 3 years also. I paid for a 3-year 10K mile/yr lease, but will only have used roughly 22K miles. One would think I should buy the car and sell it to someone else to try to make up that value. The problem is frigging taxes. Also, the used E92 335i's with similar miles and options have been going for about $30-32K on the private market. So that doesn't seem it's worth the hassle (also... as you sit on a niche car in a small market... it depreciates). The other option is to buy it and keep it. Well, if I pay the residual (no discount), and finance with current rates and ADD this to the total I paid during my lease, I end up about $1K over what I would've paid had I financed it from the start with the rates at that time (I actually guestimated this when I first leased the car).
Also, I can buy MY car (I know how I've treated it) for a little less than what you could buy it for on the open market and CPO it for about $32K plus tax, etc.

What this has taught me is to BUY a car if I want to save money. Lease a car if I want a different car frequently and don't care that overall I'm paying more to use a vehicle.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to buy it, or just go cheap and get something else and dump the "extra" money into my Miata track car (that I already own).

Love to hear any thoughts from people in the same boat.
Exactly... and this gives you the option to drive it for 3 years before being fully committed to owning this car without the hassle of trying to sell it. In today's market, who knows if you can even dump a car without taking a hit anyway.

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0