E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Whale Watchers TV show



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #45
jeremyc74
Banned
 
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

Posts: 5,972
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I don't really watch this show. Have probably seen somewhere between 1-3 episodes worth. I think it's boring as hell to watch. I'd really like to see some whalers fight back and destroy these guys. I don't care either way about whales/whalers. But if someone were to mess with my livelihood in international waters, I'd end the problem. I'm just surprised these activists are still alive after so many seasons.

If your livelyhood threatened to make an species extinct, I'd expect you to find another one.

This isn't about some salty old fishermen doing what they've always done. It's corporate greed, and nothing more.
jeremyc74 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #46
lkw15
Major
 
lkw15's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,067
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
2015 M3  [5.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [4.67]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
The problem is not with the Japanese per se. Anyone who knows dick all about this topic would know it begins with the IWC. The International Whaling Commission. http://www.iwcoffice.org/ They set up their laws which protect only the larger species of whales. They limit killings on smaller whales for "medical research" but have no regulation on dolphins which are a smaller species of whale. The Japanese kill every whale possible within the legal bounds (which are setting the bar too high and slowly depleting populations) and then slaughter the fuck out of dolphins. Dolphins have all but disappeared in regions of japan and continue to be slaughtered daily. I am not a bleeding heart activist or a tree hugger. In fact I love to hunt and fish. A largely overlooked issue is what is happening with this dolphin meat. Dolphin meat contains levels of mercury roughly at 800x the legal limit. I forget the measurement unit but the legal level is 0.4 and dolphins have registered as 2000. They are killing the dolphins and packaging the meat as much more expensive and less toxic whale meat. In addition the dolphin fisheries in Japan have bought off entire towns to look the other way. Meanwhile they are providing the school system (until they were caught and the program was discontinued) with free lunches...guess what kind of meat. It all goes back to the top. Japan pays many nations to vote for their proposed laws in the IWC and until the IWC updates it's regs properly there will be massive issues. I'm not saying abolish whaling, but better moderation and monitoring needs to be made a priority for the IWC.
I don't think anyone can really defend the practice of whaling or of killing dolphins; clearly, that is something that most of us can agree on. What really gets me is that the methods that these eco-terrorists take to try and get their self-righteous point across. They are risking the lives of themselves and of everyone else out on the water.

I saw this comment below one of the articles and thought it summed it up pretty well: These so-called protectors of the earth need to stop burning oil and polluting the arctic on their extended vacations from their adult responsibilities and reality.
lkw15 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #47
Kroy
Brigadier General
 
Kroy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
If your livelyhood threatened to make an species extinct, I'd expect you to find another one.

This isn't about some salty old fishermen doing what they've always done. It's corporate greed, and nothing more.
I don't watch the show, so I may be wrong, but aren't the Japanese within legal rights when whaling? Shouldn't these activist be trying to change the system rather than the grunt workers doing the actual fishing? I'm 100% certain the fisherman hauling up that whale isn't responsible for his company policies; he's just trying to feed his family.

Edit: someone in an earlier post mentioned how the Japanese were only hunting smaller species of whale, which are not protected by IWC. Can you seriously blame the fisherman on the whaling boat?
Kroy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #48
Kroy
Brigadier General
 
Kroy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
I don't think anyone can really defend the practice of whaling or of killing dolphins; clearly, that is something that most of us can agree on. What really gets me is that the methods that these eco-terrorists take to try and get their self-righteous point across. They are risking the lives of themselves and of everyone else out on the water.

I saw this comment below one of the articles and thought it summed it up pretty well: These so-called protectors of the earth need to stop burning oil and polluting the arctic on their extended vacations from their adult responsibilities and reality.
you know... that comment made me think... I wonder how much fuel/resources these whale protectors use up every season.
Kroy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #49
Peanuto
Private First Class
 
Peanuto's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I don't watch the show, so I may be wrong, but aren't the Japanese within legal rights when whaling? Shouldn't these activist be trying to change the system rather than the grunt workers doing the actual fishing? I'm 100% certain the fisherman hauling up that whale isn't responsible for his company policies; he's just trying to feed his family.

Edit: someone in an earlier post mentioned how the Japanese were only hunting smaller species of whale, which are not protected by IWC. Can you seriously blame the fisherman on the whaling boat?

That was me. They are hunting the smaller whales to extinction. The regs haven't been appropriately updated since first enacted in 1986 in Geneva. System needs a total overhaul. The grunts aren't doing anything wrong, however the bigwigs are with what actually happens with the meat. Also, the info from the 'studies' and 'research' are never published...if you're going to do this the least you can do is actually do the research you are using as your front and publish it.
Peanuto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #50
jeremyc74
Banned
 
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

Posts: 5,972
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
Edit: someone in an earlier post mentioned how the Japanese were only hunting smaller species of whale, which are not protected by IWC. Can you seriously blame the fisherman on the whaling boat?

Right. They're basically exploiting a loophole that allowed some whales to be killed in order to perform research on them. The numbers weren't specified, so they just kill as many as they can get and claim it's all for research, then sell the parts.

I don't blame the people working on the boat, but the Captain of this fleet is most certainly to be blamed. Since you haven't seen this, you may not realize the size of the operation we're talking about. This isn't just a few men out there with a speargun. There is a fleet of ships, with several harpoon vessels, and a factory ship so the whales can be processed at sea. They're taking dozens of animals at a time out there.
jeremyc74 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #51
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
 
ktdw's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

I had to bring this thread back to life after watching the latest episode where the Adi Gil was sunk. I sat with big smiles the whole time

And those ecoterrists are such pussies. They are totally built up in the show as being soldiers, and are "willing to die", etc....then it's boo-hoo, we almost died
ktdw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2010, 01:37 AM   #52
choicez
Major
 
choicez's Avatar
 
Drives: you mad
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA

Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
I had to bring this thread back to life after watching the latest episode where the Adi Gil was sunk. I sat with big smiles the whole time

And those ecoterrists are such pussies. They are totally built up in the show as being soldiers, and are "willing to die", etc....then it's boo-hoo, we almost died
Really?!?!
choicez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #53
jeremyc74
Banned
 
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

Posts: 5,972
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
And those ecoterrists are such pussies. They are totally built up in the show as being soldiers, and are "willing to die", etc....then it's boo-hoo, we almost died

Personally I'd like to see them armed with anti-ship missles, and put an end to the whole mess. I'd be willing to bet sinking that mothership and drowning everyone on it would put an end to the whaling industry for good. They're all just a bunch of worthless mammels, right? So it shouldn't be a big deal.
jeremyc74 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #54
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
 
ktdw's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Personally I'd like to see them armed with anti-ship missles, and put an end to the whole mess. I'd be willing to bet sinking that mothership and drowning everyone on it would put an end to the whaling industry for good. They're all just a bunch of worthless mammels, right? So it shouldn't be a big deal.
Actually, my comment has nothing to do with my opinion on whaling. The ecoterrorists are the ones who are out there messing with the whaling ships, basically attacking those who have no desire to be in a fight. They keep up their aggressive actions because they have confidence that the whaling ship wont fight back. It kinda reminds me of a group of thugs picking on some fat kid...and it's always fun when the fat kid finally knocks one punk out cold.
__________________


Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
ktdw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #55
jeremyc74
Banned
 
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

Posts: 5,972
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
Actually, my comment has nothing to do with my opinion on whaling. The ecoterrorists are the ones who are out there messing with the whaling ships, basically attacking those who have no desire to be in a fight. They keep up their aggressive actions because they have confidence that the whaling ship wont fight back. It kinda reminds me of a group of thugs picking on some fat kid...and it's always fun when the fat kid finally knocks one punk out cold.

It's more like a picking on a fat kid who's killing all the pets in the neighborhood and claiming it's for science, but don't let that get in the way of you bashing people who are actually trying to do something to protect a group of animals that's in danger of being wiped out.

If the whaling ships don't want a fight, they should stayin the fucking ports and stop violating the international bans on whaling for no other reason than profit.
jeremyc74 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #56
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
 
scollins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It's more like a picking on a fat kid who's killing all the pets in the neighborhood and claiming it's for science, but don't let that get in the way of you bashing people who are actually trying to do something to protect a group of animals that's in danger of being wiped out.

If the whaling ships don't want a fight, they should stayin the fucking ports and stop violating the international bans on whaling for no other reason than profit.

I watch the show, mostly to laugh at the inept Sea Shepherds. And, the whalers have taken up aggressive tactics of their own, making one of their usual harpoon ships a security ship. It was funny listening to Paul Watson whine about that.

I just don't believe that the Sea Shepherds are really "in it to win it." They make poor tactical choices, employ ineffective techniques and their ships are just too slow. They really come across to me as far more "Show" than "Go!".

Well, the Ady Gil wasn't too slow, but clearly too fragile. What idiot puts a carbon fiber boat anywhere near the front of a steel hull ship? I haven't watched the latest episode, but I believe the Ady Gil was successful in using the prop fouler on the factory ship, so you know the harpoon ships were pissed....
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #57
Maestro
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 880
iTrader: (0)

I watch this from time to time just form the pure entertainment factor of the idiots on the Sea Shepard, wondering how long before they kill themselves.

Recently it seems to have got interesting, whether they Japanese purposely ram the boat of theirs or not, it appear the Japanese have made it hard for them to board their ships and they are now shooting at zodiac with air guns, shooting holes in the rubber, the zodiacs will not sink, but they can not speed along side the ship either.

Looks like the Japanese have made their effects worthless.
Maestro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #58
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,506
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
I've watched Whale Wars for both seasons and I'm addicted. I don't support whaling and I actually root for these guys. I don't believe one second that the Japanese are down there for research purposes only so I don't mind those guys throwing a monkey wrench into the Japanese operations.
I have to agree with this poster. What animal research organization needs to impost quotas on the quantity of specimens they kill each year? And isn't it odd that every single whale obtained for research must be harpooned and killed? None are captured and released, and there's certainly no reason to undergo a culling as was done with elephants in certain game reserves...

I might have more understanding for the Japanese whalers if they weren't such absolute liars and charlatans.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #59
Ghost151
Private
 
Ghost151's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southeast Texas

Posts: 97
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I have to agree with this poster. What animal research organization needs to impost quotas on the quantity of specimens they kill each year? And isn't it odd that every single whale obtained for research must be harpooned and killed? None are captured and released, and there's certainly no reason to undergo a culling as was done with elephants in certain game reserves...

I might have more understanding for the Japanese whalers if they weren't such absolute liars and charlatans.
They are doing it purely for the meat plain and simple. One of the rules under existing whaling laws regarding "scientific research" is that the meat of a whale taken for "scientific research" can be sold for commercial profit. That is the reason they do not have a catch and release program.
__________________
2013 X1 28i
&
2009 335i
M-Tech Front/Rear/Sides - Vorsteiner Boot Lid - Blacked Out Kidney Grills - CF Diffuser
BMW Performance Suspension - BMW Performance Wheels Style 313
Ghost151 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST