E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Track Days; What Mods are Required

09-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #23
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I have to chime in and recommend an upgraded FMIC. The stock one is just crap. This is the worst part on our entire car by design. FMIC can help reduce temps and stress under the hood (mostly with the turbos) and keep your power more consistent... consistent power is a must for the track to help maintain the feel and smoothness of the car (and also the predictability!).

Stage 2 (more advanced driver): As they wear out you will want better brake pads as well, you might even consider some SS lines, RBF-600 fluid, and slotted rotors. I tend to avoid drilled rotors because they have tendancies to crack. Make sure the slots don't go all the way to the edge of the rotor. Don't run 19's, use 18's or 17's and get some stiff sidewall'd sticky tires. You will also find a stiffer/stronger rear sway will help cut down on the stock understeer. Basically you want to lower the front and stiffen the rear a bit to help balance it out (later on down the road, once you have pushed the car past it's limits of handling).

HAVE FUN don't get too overly competitive that you lose the fun aspect, and good luck
I believe the HPFP is the worst part of our car. Second is the open diff. IMHO.
MKE_M3 is offline   United_States
      09-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #24
Zeph
Major

Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Send a message via AIM to Zeph Send a message via Yahoo to Zeph
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
I believe the HPFP is the worst part of our car. Second is the open diff. IMHO.
True about the HPFP but I meant the worst part when it is actually working properly. The open diff is a quality part that works well for it's intent, the decision to not give us an LSD I agree was a bad decision.
Zeph is offline   United_States
      09-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #25
JPA
Private First Class

Drives: German

Thanks again for the equipment advice. I'll be looking into 17" rims and sticky tires, as well as FMIC's. I am going to start a new thread in the general section about first time track experiences and wisdom gained.

Regards,
John
      09-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
longodj
Major

Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to longodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA View Post
Thanks again for the equipment advice. I'll be looking into 17" rims and sticky tires, as well as FMIC's. I am going to start a new thread in the general section about first time track experiences and wisdom gained.

Regards,
John
John, honestly I'd say not to waste money on square tires, FMIC, or anything right now. If you have the stock O/C you should be fine your first time at the track. It took me until about the 8th time to really start pushing the stock O/C, which is when I moved to Vince's upgrade. Granted at that point I was on a set up suspension and RE01Rs with 100-200 lbs removed and really booking it in HPDE 3...and the xi heats up like a hot plate.

The FMIC shouldn't be pushed as long as you are running stock boost. Or at least, it shouldn't be a NECESSARY item. I think you should see how you do at track, and then if on your next track day you start turning boost up, see what you will need out of an FMIC. Don't just buy one blindly.

With regards to wheels/tires... I'd say a good majority of guys in the tracking forum have at some point in their life owned Kosei K1s, so if you MUST get wheels, go with those as you really can't go wrong. In terms of tires, here's why I say to wait... It depends what you want, and requires a huge deal of research. Again the Bridgestone RE01R and Dunlop Direzza Z1 SS are two biggies but there is a lot to be learned from the stock RFT.

Most important of all, forget about the people around you, just have fun! If you're not having fun at track, you should leave and not bother again. Focus on smooth inputs. And if you want to spend money, spend money on the safety items mentioned, a solid SA05 helmet, CGLock, etc. Good luck and be safe!
longodj is offline   United_States