E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > High pitched/grinding sound at high speed

08-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
jfnz

Drives: '10 E90 335i

Question High pitched/grinding sound at high speed

Hi all

I have a 2010 BMW 335i with the N54 engine.

For the last month or two I have been getting a strange high-pitched noise at high speeds (e.g. above 160km/hr). Here is a video clip that I recorded on a closed, private road illustrating the issue:

You'll see that the sound persists above the threshold speed regardless of whether you're accelerating, coasting, decelerating or braking. It disappears once you go under the speed at which it originally occurred and every day driving, and other spirited driving at speeds up to 160km/hr are fine. No other symptoms are displayed.

Whilst I cannot locate exactly where the sound is coming from, I'm certain it's coming from the front of the vehicle as I have had the car on the dyno and the wheel speed was well over the threshold with no noise, so am certain it's related to the front wheels/running gear.

There is no vibration associated with the noise and it has happened both before and after my current wheel/tyres that I'm running so I'm relatively sure it's not tyre rub related to downforce or anything. It did not use to do it when I first got it, and haven't been able to relate it back to anything that I've changed.

I have had the car at my usual mechanic and they've had the wheels off and checked the brakes commenting they were fine. I'm not much of a mechanic but would love your input on where to start looking.

Thanks heaps for your time.