E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Eibach Pro + Koni FSD Kit - Not for 335i?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
12
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Eibach Pro + Koni FSD Kit - Not for 335i?

According to an unnamed website that rhymes with bod margains, it excludes the 335i. I thought the suspension setups between all E9X platforms (minus the M3) is identical. What problems would be associated with installing this kit together? I can get Koni FSDs for the 335i with stock springs, but not with the Eibach Pro Kit.

Does anyone know why it would be excluded? And, has anyone used this kit on their 335i anyway, and if so, what has your experience been?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,734
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

FSD not recommended for lowered cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
12
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
FSD not recommended for lowered cars.
Agreed; however, why would this kit be offered for the 328i instead?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,734
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Agreed; however, why would this kit be offered for the 328i instead?
Could be an error or oversight. Or maybe more 335i owners tried it and were not pleased. In any case search here and you'll find more people go with koni yellows + pro kit. FSD is really only for stock springs per Koni, whether 335 or 328.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
12
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Could be an error or oversight. Or maybe more 335i owners tried it and were not pleased. In any case search here and you'll find more people go with koni yellows + pro kit. FSD is really only for stock springs per Koni, whether 335 or 328.
Good to know. Thanks for the information. I'll read around. I'm trying to find the best suspension setup that works right for me. I'm starting to lean more towards the BMW Performance kit, though it is pricey.

Roads here in Columbus are fairly rough, and I'm trying to smooth out the bumps as much as possible without sacrificing too much handling. Ideally, I want both, but I can't have everything
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
XM_Rocks
Lieutenant
4
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Koni packages the FSD struts/shocks with the Eibach Springs.

SKU is 2150 4036

Google that SKU or search on BavAuto or Tireracks website.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,734
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
Koni packages the FSD struts/shocks with the Eibach Springs.

SKU is 2150 4036

Google that SKU or search on BavAuto or Tireracks website.

I thought you were wrong but then I looked, and I am wrong. This is a change from how Koni originally marketed them.

OP if you search here there are quite a few folks who preferred the sport vs FSD when using lowering springs. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
XM_Rocks
Lieutenant
4
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
I thought you were wrong but then I looked, and I am wrong. This is a change from how Koni originally marketed them.

OP if you search here there are quite a few folks who preferred the sport vs FSD when using lowering springs. YMMV.
I only know because when I bought FSDs a month ago I saw them.

Now I wish I would have gotten the kit the front of my ZSP car sits a little higher now probably due to new top hats.

I am still on the fence about buying some Eibachs or just go with some lowering perches from Supreme Power... or both.

I love the ride with the ZSP springs and FSDs though... It's amazing compared to my 80k mile stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,404
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
The FSD is not recommended for lowered vehicles, people still do it. I can't explain why it wouldn't be recommended for 335i, we've sold tons for them.

I feel if you are going to get the suspension and potentially lower the car you mine as well have adjustability, just go with the Koni Yellow Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
12
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Just got a response from Koni.

The reason why is because Eibach has a specific spring set for the 335i, and they normally package the FSDs with Eibachs for the 325/328/330 in their spring/damper combo. They said the FSDs and 335i-specific Eibachs can be matched. It sounds like they just don't happen to have that product combo for sale in-house, but it is acceptable. Must be a product demand thing.

Koni P/N: 2100-4036
Eibach P/N: 2092-140

Total cost will be around $1100 or so for this setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
XM_Rocks
Lieutenant
4
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Just got a response from Koni.

The reason why is because Eibach has a specific spring set for the 335i, and they normally package the FSDs with Eibachs for the 325/328/330 in their spring/damper combo. They said the FSDs and 335i-specific Eibachs can be matched. It sounds like they just don't happen to have that product combo for sale in-house, but it is acceptable. Must be a product demand thing.

Koni P/N: 2100-4036
Eibach P/N: 2092-140

Total cost will be around $1100 or so for this setup.
That Koni PN I posted above already has the springs.

That why it's $200-$300 more than the struts alone that you just posted.

2150-4036 = Eibach and FSD
2100-4036 = FSD only
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
12
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
That Koni PN I posted above already has the springs.

That why it's $200-$300 more than the struts alone that you just posted.

2150-4036 = Eibach and FSD
2100-4036 = FSD only
That kit comes with the springs designed for the 325/328/330. Eibach has a separate set of springs for the 335i.

325/328/330i Eibach P/N: 2085-140
335i Eibach P/N: 2092-140

The Koni 2150-4036 kit comes with Eibach 2085-140 springs.

I don't know the the mechanical difference, just that they are different part numbers. For whatever reason, Eibach has two different spring sets depending upon which model you're driving. This is the first I've heard of this occurring for BMW models, in terms of suspension. I've always held the assumption that Non-M suspension will fit on all Non-M models (except xi)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
CALWATERBOY
Captain
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
15
Rep
865
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Just got a response from Koni.

The reason why is because Eibach has a specific spring set for the 335i, and they normally package the FSDs with Eibachs for the 325/328/330 in their spring/damper combo. They said the FSDs and 335i-specific Eibachs can be matched. It sounds like they just don't happen to have that product combo for sale in-house, but it is acceptable. Must be a product demand thing.

Koni P/N: 2100-4036
Eibach P/N: 2092-140

Total cost will be around $1100 or so for this setup.

FSD's are designed for BMW Sport suspension springs....what does Eibach deliver that BMW does not? Don't say color.

FSD with BMW Performance springs work well too....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
12
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
FSD's are designed for BMW Sport suspension springs....what does Eibach deliver that BMW does not?
A progressive spring rate, a lower ride height by about 1", and yes - they're perfectly acceptably paired with FSDs. Koni offers specifically these springs in a package for a reason. Unless you have more information than the company who literally makes the product, there's nothing wrong with Eibach + FSD. These aren't Racelands.

The question was not about which suspension setup is better. I appreciate the input, but I've done my research on suspension setups (and will continue to look at some others), and I've received my answer from the manufacturer of these dampers.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 10-20-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,734
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

There was a guy here recently, DrRobert or something, had BMWPS + FSD and did not like it at all. He switched over to Koni Yellow and was happy camper. Search for his thread, it was a good discussion.

I guess Koni Yellows are cheaper now than the FSD, if that is still the case and you want to go lower, by all means consider the yellows. Adjustable rebound is fun and very useful for fine tuning.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #16
XM_Rocks
Lieutenant
4
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
There was a guy here recently, DrRobert or something, had BMWPS + FSD and did not like it at all. He switched over to Koni Yellow and was happy camper. Search for his thread, it was a good discussion.

I guess Koni Yellows are cheaper now than the FSD, if that is still the case and you want to go lower, by all means consider the yellows. Adjustable rebound is fun and very useful for fine tuning.
Would love to see that thread.

This is my 2nd car with FSDs... A MK5 GTI and the 335i.

They are on oft and can sometime undulate a little strange but we are talking once a few months. They are not good if you are wanting sport over comfort. However the smooth ride makes up for it my needs.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
DrRobert
Normal Person
DrRobert's Avatar
1
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i sedan
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
Would love to see that thread.
Here you go:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017534
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038854
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024256

I believe the discussion ajsalida was referring to is in the 2nd half of the 3rd thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
FSD with BMW Performance springs work well too....
I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. Some may like this spring-damper combo but I did not, and I very, very, very much prefer the Koni yellows with these springs. I bought FSDs in large part due to advice given here (time to rethink your knee-jerk FSD recommendations, Cal ). I even called Koni and was assured by the sales rep that they would pair well with BMWPS springs. He was dead wrong IMO. I have no experience with Eibach springs but there do seem to be a lot of people who are happy with the FSD/Eibach kit, so maybe you will be too.

In my case I started with the FSD/BMWPS combo, then proceeded to replace all sorts of other things (M3 front sway bar, front and rear control arms, subframe bushings, bumpstops, Dinan rear shock mounts, LSD) trying to get rid of rear bounce and sway - I have no regrets about any of those mods as they all made improvements of their own, but that damn rear bounce did not go away until I got rid of the FSDs. As soon as I replaced them with Koni yellows the car was transformed (no doubt in large part to all those other mods as well). I haven't touched the suspension since then and am extremely happy with the car now.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.
__________________

PTF/Cobb tune - Alpina flash - ER FMIC/CP - Quaife LSD - M3 front sway bar, control arms, guide rods, SF bushings - BMWPS springs - Koni yellows - Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
FCobra94
Major
FCobra94's Avatar
16
Rep
1,411
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
In my case I started with the FSD/BMWPS combo, then proceeded to replace all sorts of other things (M3 front sway bar, front and rear control arms, subframe bushings, bumpstops, Dinan rear shock mounts, LSD) trying to get rid of rear bounce and sway - I have no regrets about any of those mods as they all made improvements of their own, but that damn rear bounce did not go away until I got rid of the FSDs. As soon as I replaced them with Koni yellows the car was transformed (no doubt in large part to all those other mods as well). I haven't touched the suspension since then and am extremely happy with the car now.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.
Agreed. The yellow is an actual properly matched damper. It doesn't matter what the sales rep or product literature says about the FSD; those should be considered as factory replacements only IMO. Throwing lowering springs on top of it just makes it worse.
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
Cobb AP|Alpina Flash|VRSF 7" FMIC|VRSF CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI|Bilstein B6|E93 M3 FSB|SP Lowering Perches
Summer: Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10mm rear spacers
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 15mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,734
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Agreed. The yellow is an actual properly matched damper. It doesn't matter what the sales rep or product literature says about the FSD; those should be considered as factory replacements only IMO. Throwing lowering springs on top of it just makes it worse.
+1 I distinctly remember Koni marketing saying FSD were not for lowered cars when they first came out, they pointed people to yellows.

I would go even further and say they are not meant for cars driven hard, say to levels on HPDE or autocross. The technology is nothing new, but what they do is have very firm damping for low piston speeds and soft blow off valves for high piston speeds, so the car feels firm for things like body roll, dive/squat, slow undulating pavement etc. but then the valves open up on sharp bumps.

This is great at street speeds or mildly aggressive driving but get onto a track or get very aggressive and you've lost any control at higher piston speeds, which is where some of the body control and transients are now that that you've upped road speed and g's by a lot.

The yellows are a more traditional street/track shock, and valved as such. FSD's are kind of a gimmick, made to feel racy and firm at street speeds but not too firm on sharp bumps, but would fall apart when pushed or coupled with other more capable components. All IMHO of course. Just another way to try to get around some compromises when you stiffen things up, but you never really can get away with it under all circumstances.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST