E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What is this high-pitched creaking sound!? (E92)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
dearwinter
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF, CA

Posts: 62
iTrader: (2)

What is this high-pitched creaking sound!? (E92)

So from a stand-still and under very low acceleration to about 20 mph, I notice what I would describe as a high-pitched creaking sound coming from the front wheel-well. Once the car is beyond 20 mph, it completely disappears. The sound is produced only when the wheels are in motion.

The sound is also noticeable only when making hard right turns. I particularly notice it when I'm in the parking structure at my job when spiraling up to the upper levels.

I am currently out of warranty and have about 35k miles on my '07 e92. Of course, when I take it to the dealer in Mountain View, CA they give me some bs about it being the basketball and aerosol can in the trunk. I'm afraid that makes no sense. So I switched service advisers a couple months later, and they tell me it must be brake-dust build-up, which apparently they did not bother to clean.

I haven't had any issues with the car, I'm just annoyed by it. Has anyone had this experience or know what it could be??
dearwinter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
fdawg4l
0000000
 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

Chances are it isn't the front but the rear wheel. I have the same issue- rear passenger side wheel squeaks something awful at low speed with no brakes especially into turns. It's the parking break shoes rubbing against the disk. It's a pretty common problem with a simple fix. There should be more than a few discussions on here and (i think) even a TSB. Print out the TSB if you can find it and give it to an indy if your out of warranty.
fdawg4l is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
fdawg4l
0000000
 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

I just ran through a few posts and it sounds like there's still some speculation as to the cause- wear sensor, brake dust, parking brakes, the taliban, etc.

If I can find the TSB, I'll post an update.
fdawg4l is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
dearwinter
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF, CA

Posts: 62
iTrader: (2)

Thanks fdawg! Any insight is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdawg4l View Post
I just ran through a few posts and it sounds like there's still some speculation as to the cause- wear sensor, brake dust, parking brakes, the taliban, etc.

If I can find the TSB, I'll post an update.
dearwinter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
fdawg4l
0000000
 
Drives: E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

Found a related post that seems to have the most believeable fix. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=45
fdawg4l is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
dearwinter
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF, CA

Posts: 62
iTrader: (2)

fdawg, thanks for the thorough research! I'll spend some time reading the thread but seems highly related with a believable fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdawg4l View Post
Found a related post that seems to have the most believeable fix. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=45
dearwinter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
dearwinter
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF, CA

Posts: 62
iTrader: (2)

fdawg, thanks for the thorough research! I'll spend some time reading the thread but seems highly related with a believable fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdawg4l View Post
Found a related post that seems to have the most believeable fix. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=45
dearwinter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
NH335i
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NH

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Sounds like its either a pad issue or pad sensor issue to me.

If its passenger rear the sensor sometimes rubs. You can bend it back out or replace.

Second. Which is what I had. Was alot of brake dust built up on pads.

If you can figure out which wheel it is you could do what I did.

Take wheel off.
Take off caliper and blow all the dust out.
Then i cleaned up the break pads with a grinder/flap disk.

I think the biggest thing that helped is I lightly beveled the edges of the pads.

I have the same car and that was my fix.

Havnt heard it since.
NH335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
dearwinter
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF, CA

Posts: 62
iTrader: (2)

Thank you I may need to try this. Right now, I've narrowed it down to driver side front wheel. I've never removed a caliper before, can I expect this to be a challenge? Worst case, I suppose I could take it to my mechanic.

Thanks again, I'm just glad it's nothing too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH335i View Post
Sounds like its either a pad issue or pad sensor issue to me.

If its passenger rear the sensor sometimes rubs. You can bend it back out or replace.

Second. Which is what I had. Was alot of brake dust built up on pads.

If you can figure out which wheel it is you could do what I did.

Take wheel off.
Take off caliper and blow all the dust out.
Then i cleaned up the break pads with a grinder/flap disk.

I think the biggest thing that helped is I lightly beveled the edges of the pads.

I have the same car and that was my fix.

Havnt heard it since.
dearwinter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
NH335i
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NH

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearwinter
Thank you I may need to try this. Right now, I've narrowed it down to driver side front wheel. I've never removed a caliper before, can I expect this to be a challenge? Worst case, I suppose I could take it to my mechanic.

Thanks again, I'm just glad it's nothing too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH335i View Post
Sounds like its either a pad issue or pad sensor issue to me.

If its passenger rear the sensor sometimes rubs. You can bend it back out or replace.

Second. Which is what I had. Was alot of brake dust built up on pads.

If you can figure out which wheel it is you could do what I did.

Take wheel off.
Take off caliper and blow all the dust out.
Then i cleaned up the break pads with a grinder/flap disk.

I think the biggest thing that helped is I lightly beveled the edges of the pads.

I have the same car and that was my fix.

Havnt heard it since.
Hey. No work at all. Two bolts in thr back and u can take it right off.

Look up a do it yourself break job in the DIY section. There will be pictures.

Youll be fine doing it. Its alot simpler than you think.
NH335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
dearwinter
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF, CA

Posts: 62
iTrader: (2)

Cool! When I get some time I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH335i View Post
Hey. No work at all. Two bolts in thr back and u can take it right off.

Look up a do it yourself break job in the DIY section. There will be pictures.

Youll be fine doing it. Its alot simpler than you think.
dearwinter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
 
BillionPa's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 288
iTrader: (0)

could be the brake dust shield bent into the caliper, easy fix and easy to check (mine was visibly bent when I did rotors, but not touching, very close)
BillionPa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
dk79
Private
 
Drives: 335i xdrive coupe, 535xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sioux falls, sd

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

it might be due to spacers in the front if you have? take them off and it might go away.
otherwise it is the brake pad sensor in the rt front wheel. take that off and zip tie it. drive and see.
dk79 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST