E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > cutting the stock springs !



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Metallic_Dream
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: e90 325i sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ITALY

iTrader: (0)

cutting the stock springs !

hi guys

i ordered eibach prokit springs & it takes time to be shipped (maybe 10 days)

& i thought if i can cut the stock springs a little bit so i can lower the car for few days before my new springs shipped ..

is it gonna affect the susspension system or any thing else ?

& last thing.. what do you think about eibach prokit is it good enoguh to lower the car ?? cuz i was thinking about the eibach sportline but the guy told me that it`s too harsh & you can feel anything on the road easly !but it lowers the car better ..!

thanx :
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
uberschnell
Brigadier General
uberschnell's Avatar
No_Country
82
Rep
3,444
Posts

Drives: // 135i //, X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (44)

Did this just turn into the civic forum
__________________
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
Kevin@AKMotorwerk's Avatar
United_States
281
Rep
28,154
Posts

Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hillsborough, nj

iTrader: (1)

its alot of work just to do it temporary. besides the fact that your car will handle like crap, and if you cut it wrong you can cause noises because the spring doesnt sit right. not to mention cutting too much can damage your struts and shocks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Scimitar335i
Major
59
Rep
1,316
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Did this just turn into the civic forum
__________________
2007 TiAg e90 335i sport. Yes, The e90 "Mustache" is cool!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Silly ricer
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
black335i
Lieutenant
black335i's Avatar
40
Rep
538
Posts

Drives: M 4
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: tx

iTrader: (2)

just wait for da springs
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
rkick08
Major
rkick08's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,447
Posts

Drives: 2014 F32 435i Msport
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

dont cut! wait for the springs! 10 days is not going to kill you come on now!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Alex@AKMotorwerk
Alex@AKMotorwerk's Avatar
United_States
118
Rep
9,339
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to Alex@AKMotorwerk


Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Craig@SupremePower
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Craig@SupremePower's Avatar
United_States
843
Rep
75,000
Posts


Drives: '12 Dodge Durango R/T
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (14)

ohhh boy..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
SlicktopTTZ's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
686
Posts

Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Wow, maybe on CorpusRacing.com but here? I though BMW owners were better than this, I'm speechless.....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Metallic_Dream
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: e90 325i sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ITALY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Did this just turn into the civic forum
it was a ques ,,if u don`t like it dont make fun of me
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
Wow, maybe on CorpusRacing.com but here? I though BMW owners were better than this, I'm speechless.....
What telling someone the truth?


Okay here let's just all say it is a GREAT IDEA to do that

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
eltoshan
Private First Class
eltoshan's Avatar
2
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (1)

aw man, what do you call this. Not a ricer, that'd be Asian. Maybe a strudeler?

Yep, cutting your springs will be a great idea!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
Metallic_Dream
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: e90 325i sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ITALY

iTrader: (0)

i can see that some of the guys here are Disrespectful,, i didn`t say that i`ll cut the springs i said i was thinking !.. i was jus askin !

wondering how u treat the ppl !
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Three3OH
Private
United_States
0
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2003 Acura NSX  [0.00]
........
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic_Dream View Post
i can see that some of the guys here are Disrespectful,, i didn`t say that i`ll cut the springs i said i was thinking !.. i was jus askin !

wondering how u treat the ppl !
It is a dumb question for one

2. maybe think about other aspects that you would be destroying on the car

granted some manuf. suggest cutting a coil or 2 out of the springs but that is a racing application to which I am sure your BMW is not
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
Metallic_Dream
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: e90 325i sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ITALY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
It is a dumb question for one

2. maybe think about other aspects that you would be destroying on the car

granted some manuf. suggest cutting a coil or 2 out of the springs but that is a racing application to which I am sure your BMW is not
thanx i`ll not cut anything ofcourse

but i discovered that some ppl here don`t respect others` ques.

thats sad America
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
JDLM
Banned
JDLM's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic_Dream View Post
thanx i`ll not cut anything ofcourse

but i discovered that some ppl here don`t respect others` ques.

thats sad America

This has zero to do with respect so you can get off that cop-out

It is sad that you seem to take the internet of all places so seriously, grow a back bone
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
SlicktopTTZ's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
686
Posts

Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Just curious, where did you get the idea? I'm glad you aren't doing to because it absolutely will compromise the handling of your car and you may damage components. I know with the honda guys a lot of them cut springs because their buddy did it and they want their frame to be sitting on the ground with a nasty amount of camber so they can look cool too. I was behind one white DX hatch in my 240sx and he would go over a small bump in the road and they whole car would bounce and shake for about 4 more seconds after the initial bump, not exaggerating. And I didn't mean to be rude, I'm just tired of seeing people make stupid modifications to otherwise perfectly good vehicles and I do what I can to stop it. Enjoy the springs!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Metallic_Dream
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: e90 325i sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ITALY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
Just curious, where did you get the idea? I'm glad you aren't doing to because it absolutely will compromise the handling of your car and you may damage components. I know with the honda guys a lot of them cut springs because their buddy did it and they want their frame to be sitting on the ground with a nasty amount of camber so they can look cool too. I was behind one white DX hatch in my 240sx and he would go over a small bump in the road and they whole car would bounce and shake for about 4 more seconds after the initial bump, not exaggerating. And I didn't mean to be rude, I'm just tired of seeing people make stupid modifications to otherwise perfectly good vehicles and I do what I can to stop it. Enjoy the springs!

thanx dude ,,, i jus got the idea from one of my buddies

but i know it`s not good for the balance of the car also ..but i thought if i can jus do it for 10 days untill gettin my new springs ..

but ofcourse now i`ll jus wait
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
chaz58
Captain
chaz58's Avatar
10
Rep
701
Posts

Drives: 328iT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit Burbs

iTrader: (0)

You never want to cut springs. Unless you are an engineer, you have no idea what you are doing here. You are going to be changing the spring characteristics in ways you never thought. I'm guessing you don't want to look up those formulas and do those calculations.

Good luck with your new springs.
__________________
_________________________________________________

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #22
uberschnell
Brigadier General
uberschnell's Avatar
No_Country
82
Rep
3,444
Posts

Drives: // 135i //, X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
You never want to cut springs. Unless you are an engineer, you have no idea what you are doing here. You are going to be changing the spring characteristics in ways you never thought. I'm guessing you don't want to look up those formulas and do those calculations.

Good luck with your new springs.
This guy couldn't give less of a fuck about performance
__________________
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST