E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What the heck, Shiv & Terry fix bog at same time whos is better



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #89
lawdude
Colonel
lawdude's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,259
Posts

 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Doesn't really bug me that much.
DAMN!
__________________
What do I know? I'm insane.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #90
scheherazade
Major
17
Rep
1,467
Posts

 
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DC metro area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Not really wanting to pick on you, but I wouldn't have the jewels to engage a medical specialist in a conversation and then presume to explain his specialty to him.

But that's just me. Continue if you must.
Presuming that he's not just regurgitating what Terry told him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
... How can he assume that every and all current and future DME software versions have the same actual throttle behavior? ...
If BMW software changes and a feature stops working, then a new version of JB3 software will come out to take care of it.

I know you're trying to do some open loop vs closed loop argument, but your closed loop parameterization needs to be correct to critically damp. These parameters can also be thrown off with new BMW software.

You guys both need to keep up with DME changes, Terry just needs to be more watchful of his models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Datalog a mid 11s run and post time slip & logs about boost, speed and throttle dbw & actual. Adding video of the run would be a plus.
No butt dynos or opinions please.
Great idea.
Compare the best of each tune's best (i.e. 11 sec runs).

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #91
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
190
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Doesn't really bug me that much. You are quite good at stirring the pot, which honestly is needed from time to time.
+1

it keeps me interested in these threads and keeping up to date with the tuning and drama aspects of the n54 world.

continue...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #92
SlickSilver
Private First Class
SlickSilver's Avatar
7
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, Tx

iTrader: (2)

[size="5"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I'm down for a little same car/same day test with some datalogging. If Terry is game, let's make it happen

shiv
Shiv,

I bought my jb3 a few weeks ago and have been beta testing the latest maps. To me, this is the biggest issue in MT cars and my only gripe with jb3. It seems like it's working on the latest map but I'm not fully convinced. I bought the jb3 instead of procede bc of price only bc I felt they both gave the same performance after seeing hundreds of comparisons. However, if this shift fix works better in one than the other that would definately change my mind bc it is no fun to race and shift hard with this shft lag.

Shiv, I am oft the group you described where I not loyal to one or the other, I just go for performance vs price.

Can you help me out and send me the procede to compare the 2 and I'll post my results with datalogging here.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #93
lawdude
Colonel
lawdude's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,259
Posts

 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSilver View Post
[size="5"]

Shiv,

I bought my jb3 a few weeks ago and have been beta testing the latest maps. To me, this is the biggest issue in MT cars and my only gripe with jb3. It seems like it's working on the latest map but I'm not fully convinced. I bought the jb3 instead of procede bc of price only bc I felt they both gave the same performance after seeing hundreds of comparisons. However, if this shift fix works better in one than the other that would definately change my mind bc it is no fun to race and shift hard with this shft lag.

Shiv, I am oft the group you described where I not loyal to one or the other, I just go for performance vs price.

Can you help me out and send me the procede to compare the 2 and I'll post my results with datalogging here.
ORDER HERE. If it doesn't work out for you, return it within 14 days for a refund.
__________________
What do I know? I'm insane.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #94
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
480
Rep
15,048
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSilver View Post
[size="5"]

Shiv,

I bought my jb3 a few weeks ago and have been beta testing the latest maps. To me, this is the biggest issue in MT cars and my only gripe with jb3. It seems like it's working on the latest map but I'm not fully convinced. I bought the jb3 instead of procede bc of price only bc I felt they both gave the same performance after seeing hundreds of comparisons. However, if this shift fix works better in one than the other that would definately change my mind bc it is no fun to race and shift hard with this shft lag.

Shiv, I am oft the group you described where I not loyal to one or the other, I just go for performance vs price.

Can you help me out and send me the procede to compare the 2 and I'll post my results with datalogging here.
Feedback on the JB3 1.4 R8.3 bogfix has been very positive and a huge improvement over previous JB3 software, but I wouldn't call it a done deal yet. Like everything else development continues and future beta versions will reflect those improvements.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #95
SlickSilver
Private First Class
SlickSilver's Avatar
7
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, Tx

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Feedback on the JB3 1.4 R8.3 bogfix has been very positive and a huge improvement over previous JB3 software, but I wouldn't call it a done deal yet. Like everything else development continues and future beta versions will reflect those improvements.

Mike
I'm on 8.1 and it's still a problem, loading 8.3 today to see if anything improves
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #96
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
480
Rep
15,048
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSilver View Post
I'm on 8.1 and it's still a problem, loading 8.3 today to see if anything improves
Good plan. If possible do some logs and get them over to BMS, the more data the better the feature.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #97
mmmotornutz
Lieutenant
4
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: Montego 335i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSilver View Post
I'm on 8.1 and it's still a problem, loading 8.3 today to see if anything improves
I don't know what year build your car is but mine was from late 2007 and JB3 Rev 8.3 bogfix is very pleasing. It is smooth. It doesn't bog of course and it doesn't surge. It doesn't scare you when you quick shift into 3 or 4.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #98
ezatnova
Colonel
ezatnova's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,188
Posts

 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
If the DME boost is below the target boost, and the gas pedal is pushed in 100%, the throttle is 100% open until close to redline. When you detect a reduction in the rate of change of RPM AND the gas pedal value drops, a manual shift is taking place.
Mike...I'm missing something simple here, I think.

Given your statement above, in the bolded part, how is it necessarily true that a shift is taking place? If you are 100% throttle, then wouldn't simply lifting off to slow down (not shift) also mean a "rate of change in RPM AND the gas pedal value dropping"?

What is stopping the JB3 from saying "oh, the car is shifting, I'd better maintain boost" when the driver is simply lifting off of the throttle to slow down. I must be missing something. I would think it would be quite detrimental to have the car keep boosting after the driver gets off the gas, when he just wants to slow down.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #99
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
480
Rep
15,048
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Mike...I'm missing something simple here, I think.

Given your statement above, in the bolded part, how is it necessarily true that a shift is taking place? If you are 100% throttle, then wouldn't simply lifting off to slow down (not shift) also mean a "rate of change in RPM AND the gas pedal value dropping"?

What is stopping the JB3 from saying "oh, the car is shifting, I'd better maintain boost" when the driver is simply lifting off of the throttle to slow down. I must be missing something. I would think it would be quite detrimental to have the car keep boosting after the driver gets off the gas, when he just wants to slow down.

Thanks
If you're just coasting the rate of change is negative but very slow. Also you would need to get back on the gas within so many milliseconds to engage the feature.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #100
ezatnova
Colonel
ezatnova's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,188
Posts

 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
If you're just coasting the rate of change is negative but very slow. Also you would need to get back on the gas within so many milliseconds to engage the feature.

Mike
Oh, ok thanks. That makes sense. So due to intertia with the engine engaged to the transmission, the revs obviously drop slower when the throttle is simply lifted, as opposed to pressing the clutch and dissengaging the link from engine to transmission, which causes the revs to drop much quicker. Also, the timing of throttle % increasing again makes sense too.

Thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #101
vgame64
Colonel
vgame64's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (9)

I have to agree with Shiv in that it seems like this is being made overly complex for no reason. Gosh, if you have to, both Shiv and Terry bring your cars in for service and get 2 335i 6MT loaners and test!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #102
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
midlife's Avatar
28
Rep
2,359
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i cabrio
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..........

iTrader: (0)

bms and proceed fighting it out again and again...

IMHO: bottom line is that unless one tune consistently beats out the other tune doing pulls (same car, mods, octane, etc) then obviously both tunes are doing their jobs very well - but in different ways.

please no one state that one of the tunes is safer than another... after many, many miles, there is no evidence of this, and i have not heard or seen any blown motors or turbos since some guy sucked up packing materials into his intake - and that was like 9 months ago ??

i welcome no flames and will just ignore them... i think my bottom line stated above has a very high degree of truth to it.

my 2 cents
__________________
If your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
RPI IC / UR catless DPs / JB3 2.0 beta / UR CAI / Quaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK oil cooler upgrade / Forge DVs /
M3 rear sway / Riss catch can / Paddle shifting 6AT / M Sport steering wheel / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 255/235 /
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #103
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
190
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
bms and proceed fighting it out again and again...

IMHO: bottom line is that unless one tune consistently beats out the other tune doing pulls (same car, mods, octane, etc) then obviously both tunes are doing their jobs very well - but in different ways.

please no one state that one of the tunes is safer than another... after many, many miles, there is no evidence of this, and i have not heard or seen any blown motors or turbos since some guy sucked up packing materials into his intake - and that was like 9 months ago ??

i welcome no flames and will just ignore them... i think my bottom line stated above has a very high degree of truth to it.

my 2 cents
I wouldnt be so worried about WOT behavior, its the partial throttle driveability i'm more concerned with.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #104
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
midlife's Avatar
28
Rep
2,359
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i cabrio
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..........

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
I wouldnt be so worried about WOT behavior, its the partial throttle driveability i'm more concerned with.
is that what you really think after you get beat at the light ??

joking
__________________
If your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
RPI IC / UR catless DPs / JB3 2.0 beta / UR CAI / Quaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK oil cooler upgrade / Forge DVs /
M3 rear sway / Riss catch can / Paddle shifting 6AT / M Sport steering wheel / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 255/235 /
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #105
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
29
Rep
1,190
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (4)

I have been looking for someone with a Procede so I can test it out and see the difference but no luck so far. PM if anyone wants to check out the JB3 in action and we can compare to the Procede.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST