E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Obama's Rules of Engagement Kills 4 Marines

09-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Septro
Banned

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Obama's Rules of Engagement Kills 4 Marines

"We're Pinned Down"

Waiting for CAS (Close Air Support) or direct fire from artillery for over 80 minutes while under an intense Ambush in the Ganjgal area of Afghanistan - 3 Marines and 1 Navy Corpsman died due to a new set of Rules of Engagement regarding potential civilian casualties implemented by the Obama Administratration that delayed command decisions on providing fire support to repel the ambushers.
Quote:
U.S. commanders, citing new rules to avoid civilian casualties, rejected repeated calls to unleash artillery rounds at attackers dug into the slopes and tree lines despite being told repeatedly that they weren't near the village.
The embedded reporter, when provided with a rifle as their fighting position was about to be overrun, stated "I had no hesitation in grabbing that rifle".

This stems from McChrystal's order early this summer regarding deadly force (as relayed by his spokesman RA Smith):
Quote:
"But if there is a compound they're taking fire from and they can remove themselves from the area safely, without any undue danger to the forces, then that's the option they should take,"
That's basically what is known amongst the ground-pounders as the "Retreat-rule".. This hyper-sensitive approach to avoiding engaging the enemy if there is any potential civilian(s) around is what lead to the Ganjgal problem of providing timely fire support even though the ambushed Marines clearly stated they were no where near the village when under attack. The soft-glove approach is killing Marines and enabling the Taliban.
      09-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Unfuckingbelievable.

RIP Marines & Corpsman.
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
      09-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Drives: ///Mistress

Garage List
Maybe obama should go over their and test those new rules before ordering the young men of this country to implement them.

R.I.P.
Prowess Symphony is offline   United_States
      09-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
jibaholic101
Brigadier General

Drives: women wild

just another reason why i hate obama. can we get a list of the specific new rules of engagement?
      09-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
DaveO
Private First Class

Drives: 3 BMWs

Send a message via AIM to DaveO
Absolutly rediculous. If we have soldiers on the ground in a war, there should be absolutly no 'gloves' on. Soliders should obviously not be allowed to purposely kill civilians or commit war crimes, but short of that there should be no restrictions in a time of war. Noone wins when you make artificial rules, and as someone above said, all it does is help the enemy.

I don't agree with the war on many levels and think we should withdraw all soldiers (combat and non-combat) from the middle east. But as long as they are there, these rules that help the enemy and kill american soldiers are absolutly rediculous and I hope the Sec. Defense is reviewing this incident and going over this with the President.

This sounds like a plan to keep a war going but avoid the bad press of having killed civilians, which sounds good in theory but when the cost is dead American soldiers, forget it. War is hell. Deal with it. If the administration can't deal with that, then they should do the right thing and withdraw the troops. If they do intend to fight, then they must bring the fight 110%.
      09-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Septro
Banned

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
just another reason why i hate obama. can we get a list of the specific new rules of engagement?
The full ROE is always classified - the grunts on the ground only get a small index card to keep in their pockets or a 1-pager encapsulating the key points of the ROE as well as local command prerogatives/interpretation.
      09-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
shpirate87
Captain

Drives: 335ix

The fault here may not lie with the ROE itself but with confusion concerning it or a lousy command climate where fear of making a decision has taken over.

Having the right ROE in a counter insurgency is vital. GEN McChrystal knows this as well as anyone in the world. The key terrain in this fight is the people.

To me this sounds like there was either confusion as to who had the authority to authorize the fires which is bad enough or the climate in theater is such that senior officers are more afraid to make a decision that will lead to bad press than one that will put Americans in danger. If that is the case, we are in deep, deep trouble.
      09-22-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
stylinexpat
Captain

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Maybe obama should go over their and test those new rules before ordering the young men of this country to implement them.

R.I.P.
One also needs to remember that one is either considered a guest there or an enemy I doubt the US would ever allow foreign troops to shoot at will in the US.
      09-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

We've killed a lot of civilians by mistake. We lose more by killing a civilian than we gain by killing the enemy. We aren't fighting a war so much as building a nation. If we accidently kill a mother, her sons, husband, brothers, and father will join the enemy, and the village will support the enemy, and we've made our problem dramatically worse. The rule is there not only for the civilians protection, but our own. It is a leadership decision on which way is best to further our objective. If we were just there to destroy the place and leave, I'd agree that more "gloves off" (within the Laws of Armed Conflict) is the way to go, but we aren't there to just destroy. Obviously, what we've been doing the past 8 years hasn't worked so well. How many troops died under those ROEs, and has it brought us closer to our goal lately, or are we actually moving further away? It is a terrible situation (as war always is), but if protecting our troops lives took precedence over accomplishing the mission, they never would've gone there. It'd be nice if we could've left already and not put any troops in danger.
      09-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
One also needs to remember that one is either considered a guest there or an enemy I doubt the US would ever allow foreign troops to shoot at will in the US.
Now that Mr. Obama determines when the U.S. stays or when the U.S. goes, we are considered guests. Before Mr. Obama, we were considered to be occupiers and aggressors. Well, Mr. Obama may be sending more and more forces to Afghanistan. What happened to his promises to bring the troops home?

On another subject, it's been quiet around here since Nixon got banned. I can't say I miss him... at all.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      09-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
We've killed a lot of civilians by mistake. We lose more by killing a civilian than we gain by killing the enemy. We aren't fighting a war so much as building a nation. If we accidently kill a mother, her sons, husband, brothers, and father will join the enemy, and the village will support the enemy, and we've made our problem dramatically worse. The rule is there not only for the civilians protection, but our own. It is a leadership decision on which way is best to further our objective. If we were just there to destroy the place and leave, I'd agree that more "gloves off" (within the Laws of Armed Conflict) is the way to go, but we aren't there to just destroy. Obviously, what we've been doing the past 8 years hasn't worked so well. How many troops died under those ROEs, and has it brought us closer to our goal lately, or are we actually moving further away? It is a terrible situation (as war always is), but if protecting our troops lives took precedence over accomplishing the mission, they never would've gone there. It'd be nice if we could've left already and not put any troops in danger.
Have more U.S. troops in Afghanistan died in these 7 months of Obama, or in the 7 months prior?

I agree that we do not need to slash and burn. But that is reason for us to get out. We should not be getting our military servicepersons killed for nation building. If we must participate in nationbuilding, then perhaps it should be with companies like Blackrock (I think that is the name).

Of course, there is the valid argument that we need to have Afghanistan emerge as an ally. Very well. But at what cost if our military servicepersons cannot defend themselves? Just ridiculous.

How come the party that is in majority power today and was so critical before the election calling for immediate withdrawal of all U.S. troops as "redeployment" are now in favor of adding more troops? I guess it is all just political crap. Take their political gains and continue the same old policies for the most part. And then the popular press supports the current bunch by not even talking about it, or at least not criticizing the Administration when they do have a little story. It's simply biased reporting at it's worst.

09-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
jaiman
Captain

Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
On another subject, it's been quiet around here since Nixon got banned. I can't say I miss him... at all.
When did Nixon get banned and why? Was it something specific or a culmination?
      09-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
scollins

Quote:

I must be living under a rock, because I had no idea Nixon got banned. What did he say that got him 86'd?
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
      09-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Don't have any information. I only reported him once several weeks ago because he wrote something and put it in a quote box with my name on it. It was probably his points kept adding up to ban. I had just noticed that Banned was under his name on a post I was reading.

09-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I must be living under a rock, because I had no idea Nixon got banned. What did he say that got him 86'd?
Read some of his posts. Almost any of them. They concentrated on personal attacks on e90post forums members rather than on debating the subject. It's clearly outlined in forum rules.

09-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
carve
Major

I think most democrats were and are in favor of the war in Afghanistan, and though the resources used in Iraq should've been used there. I'd agree with that.

The troops can't cut off their noses to spite their faces. Sure- they need to be able to defend themselves, but not at the expense of actually GROWING the enemy forces and support. That defeats the entire reason of them being there. It's a crap situation, no doubt. This land has been unoccupiable by foreigners since Alexander the Great. There's an argument to be made for cutting our losses, but what was the point then?

An option I heard recently was just to keep paying the warlords off so long as they don't shelter terrorist camps.
      09-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
An option I heard recently was just to keep paying the warlords off so long as they don't shelter terrorist camps.
With the second Jimmy Carter, that should make sense. Carter commited the U.S. to pay billions to Egypt and billions to Israel to keep the peace. You could say it is working, but at our expense. The payments continue. It may be best to break that contract. It has gone on for 30 years!!!

09-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
carve
Major

Quote:
With the second Jimmy Carter, that should make sense. Carter commited the U.S. to pay billions to Egypt and billions to Israel to keep the peace. You could say it is working, but at our expense. The payments continue. It may be best to break that contract. It has gone on for 30 years!!!
LOL...it was a conservative pundit who was presenting that option. He said nation building was a poor value and paying the warlords to not harbour terrorists would accomplish the benefits Americans want (no terrorist safe haven) for the lowest cost, rather than waste a bunch of money intended to help the well-being of the average Afghan.
      09-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
LOL...it was a conservative pundit who was presenting that option. He said nation building was a poor value and paying the warlords to not harbour terrorists would accomplish the benefits Americans want (no terrorist safe haven) for the lowest cost, rather than waste a bunch of money intended to help the well-being of the average Afghan.
It's a tough situation. How to deal with it is to some degree similar to early America. It used to be that American ships were pirated in the Middle East regularly. To stop the piracy, America paid huge sums of money to the governments to keep the pirates at bay. Eventually, the tribute was the largest share of the national budget. This ended in the U.S. sending warships.

09-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
There were definitely several reasons.

disturbed individual if you ask me.. if anything can really be inferred by an online forum.
      09-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
scollins

Quote:
Read some of his posts. Almost any of them. They concentrated on personal attacks on e90post forums members rather than on debating the subject. It's clearly outlined in forum rules.
Oh, I'm familiar with his tone, content and general political views, but that hasn't really changed since he's been here. I was wondering which straw broke the camel's back, as it were.....
      09-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #22
carve
Major

Quote:
It's a tough situation. How to deal with it is to some degree similar to early America. It used to be that American ships were pirated in the Middle East regularly. To stop the piracy, America paid huge sums of money to the governments to keep the pirates at bay. Eventually, the tribute was the largest share of the national budget. This ended in the U.S. sending warships.
It wouldn't be tribute. We're not paying off the Taliban here- we'd be hiring their enemies to do a job for us and, so long as they do it, don't care what else happens in Afghanistan. If they don't deliver, I'm sure they'll soon see a Reaper UAV knocking on their roof.