E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Diesel Engine warm up and cool down time

09-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Flyingman
Hang up and drive!

Drives: 335d

Diesel Engine warm up and cool down time

Folks,

Waiting to receive my 2010 335d and saw some discussion elsewhere about warm up/cool down periods. Can anyone say exactly what does the manual say about this?

Typically it is always good to give an engine a minute or two to warm up and cool down before putting in gear. I'm sure many folks don't do that.

I know some diesel cars actually have a shut off timer built in, that after you remove the key the engine keeps running for approx 1 minute to cool down the turbo. I certainly understand why you may want to do this, but is it built in that way on the BMW?

Most cars actually idle a bit higher when you first start them, then after about 30-60 seconds they slow down, and that is when I usually engage the gears. I also usually wait about 15-30 seconds before I turn off my engine, and that is with a gasoline engine, with and without a turbo.

I've heard that some engines (diesels and gas) with a turbo can have turbo damage if you shutdown with the turbo too hot, i.e. you were driving hard and then shut it down. As I recall the concern was that the housing and rotor are still rather hot and the oil stops circulating around the bearing, perhaps leading to a seizure.

Appreciate hearing what facts (or myths or urban legends) if any are out there about this on the BMW diesel engine.
Flyingman is offline   United_States
      09-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
chiaobaby
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

If you live in Miami why do you worry about warm up? Diesel engines are only problematic in the extreme cold climate If you live in Alaska . BMW turbos is water cooled . When you shut the the engine off an electric pump is still cooling the turbos off. Once its cool enough the pump willl stop circulating the coolant.
chiaobaby is offline   United_States
      09-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Flyingman
Hang up and drive!

Drives: 335d

Haven't you heard of Global Warming? Just preparing for the next ice age!

Good to know about the electric cooling water pump. I was not aware of that detail. I've heard of electric fans turning off after shutdown, but if it is circulating the water, that should work nicely.

Extreme cold temps for me is like 68 deg F. I almost can't get in my pool on those days. My pool temp has been around 87deg this summer.

Just was wondering what if anything is in the manuals on this subject.
Flyingman is offline   United_States
      09-22-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
amullo
E91 Diesel abuser

Drives: E91 LCI 320da Msport

Garage List
The only recommendation Ive seen is that they say advice a 1 minut cool down on idle if you have been pushing the engine hard or your over the nominal operating temps.

What kills diesels is mostly full throttle while the engine is cold. Just be careful with the throttle until you get to around 2/3ds of operating temps. After that, you can mash the throttle all you want. Then take it easy the last 2 miles home.

//amullo
amullo is offline   Sweden