E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mods & Insurance



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-23-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
KadeSdad
Colonel
42

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Mods & Insurance

Hi All

Anyone had any major issues with mods & insurance? I know it's always best to inform your insurers? At the moment I am with Admiral but my renewal is up shortly.

I might shop around for a better deal, if anyone can recommend a mod friendly insurer (if such a place exists) or the ones to steer clear from (morethan etc)

M3 E90 Mods are:

Remus Race Exhaust
Matte Black front & side grills
Blackline rears

Plus I will be adding more over the next few months, diffusers, rims etc.

Thanks

Marc

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
monkee
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: E90 320d SE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glasgow


Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

I'm interested in this too. I'm currently with admiral for another 6 months and they don't cater for cars that have been remapped so I need to keep it at stock for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
82

 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Direct line told me it was 75 fixed increase for a remap on my 335i, but Sainsbury's wanted 180 and it was BHP specific, i told them it would be a 60bhp increase.

Remember, BMW performance parts (grills, blacklines etc) are not 'modifications' but 'manufacturers accessories', no different to OEM floor mats or a roof rack. There's a big difference between buying approved BMW OEM accessories and third party mods, like exhausts and carbon bits.

In view of this Sainsbury's said ZERO increase for any BMW accessories, even the full suspension kit or exhaust.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
gerbil_b
First Lieutenant
Scotland
3

 
Drives: Skoda Octavia DSG TDi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tong, Isle Of Lewis


Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 318i  [0.00]
2006 Hyundai Coupe  [0.00]
When i had my old hyundai coupe (highly modified) Nowrich Union gave me the first 6 mods free.....dont know what they are like since they changed to Aviva?!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
4

 
MO_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330D M SPORT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: WALSALL WEST MIDLANDS


Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Direct line told me it was 75 fixed increase for a remap on my 335i, but Sainsbury's wanted 180 and it was BHP specific, i told them it would be a 60bhp increase.

Remember, BMW performance parts (grills, blacklines etc) are not 'modifications' but 'manufacturers accessories', no different to OEM floor mats or a roof rack. There's a big difference between buying approved BMW OEM accessories and third party mods, like exhausts and carbon bits.

In view of this Sainsbury's said ZERO increase for any BMW accessories, even the full suspension kit or exhaust.
Are the carbon bits Diffuser, Spoiler etc not part of the BMW Performance range?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
82

 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Yes, those parts are available from BMW.

What I'm saying is that in insurance terms theres a big difference between a BMW carbon diffuser (manufacturers accessory) and a carbon diffuser made by jo bloggs (modification)

If they are BMW accessories, make sure you mention them as such, if at all.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
378

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I think they would still want to know about it.
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
v24mis
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Unitied Kingdom


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

I am with Privilege and they do not seem to really care for mods. so far I have asked them about adding an exhaust system and tints and they couldnt care less.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
378

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v24mis View Post
I am with Privilege and they do not seem to really care for mods. so far I have asked them about adding an exhaust system and tints and they couldnt care less.
Just make sure they send confirmation of your mods in writing though. Easy for them to just "ok" it over the phone.
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
KadeSdad
Colonel
42

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Thanks for the heads up, will try out a few and let you know.

Marc
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
70

 
Hotcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 6,105
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Marc, I use LV. Very good for mods.

http://www.lv.com/mkt/lv/
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
KadeSdad
Colonel
42

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Marc, I use LV. Very good for mods.

http://www.lv.com/mkt/lv/
Thanks matey , I nearly went with LV first time around as they came pretty near top in a recent survey.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
JLR1969
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
37

 
JLR1969's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford GT Lawn Tractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Somerset


Posts: 3,397
iTrader: (1)

I use LV and they are very mod friendly.

I advised that I wanted to add an M3 rear spoiler and they said provided it was supplied and fitted by a BMW main dealer there would be no increase, the re-map cost an extra 60 ish
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
82

 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I use LV and they are very mod friendly.

I advised that I wanted to add an M3 rear spoiler and they said provided it was supplied and fitted by a BMW main dealer there would be no increase, the re-map cost an extra 60 ish
exactomundo.

OEM fitted 'accessories' are not regarded as 'mods'.

Still get it in writing though as carlos says...
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
KadeSdad
Colonel
42

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
exactomundo.

OEM fitted 'accessories' are not regarded as 'mods'.

Still get it in writing though as carlos says...
Thanks matey, the black lines are OEM, the grilles no.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
4

 
MO_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330D M SPORT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: WALSALL WEST MIDLANDS


Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Are the 335 style carbon valance (Diffuser) and m3 carbon lip spoiler considered as BMW Performance Accessories?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
United Kingdom
71

 
gIzzE's Avatar
 
Drives: Mercedes ML and 2.8i Z3
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.


Posts: 5,154
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Anyone had any major issues with mods & insurance? I know it's always best to inform your insurers? At the moment I am with Admiral but my renewal is up shortly.
I just got a quote online for Fionas 123d M-Sport as it was coming out at more money than the M3 for some reason, and I put in exhaust and remap and Admiral came out as one of the one willing to insure.
It was 393 including the mods and a 350 excess, that is protected.

Most were 700+.


So maybe they are OK with mods now???
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
KadeSdad
Colonel
42

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I just got a quote online for Fionas 123d M-Sport as it was coming out at more money than the M3 for some reason, and I put in exhaust and remap and Admiral came out as one of the one willing to insure.
It was 393 including the mods and a 350 excess, that is protected.

Most were 700+.


So maybe they are OK with mods now???
That's interesting, thanks for the info

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Finnie
Might be selling the 335d touring
United Kingdom
5

 
Drives: Disco 4, F31 335d msport+
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland


Posts: 367
iTrader: (1)

I am with admiral, 335i coupe, front and rear diffusers declared, m3 rear spoiler (declared before I ever fitted but never did) 15 to 25% more power declared (again never fitted the JB3) alloys and suspension all declared. 590 fully comp no claims guaranteed. (8 years)

Have been with them years and always been the best deal for me. Cannot beat them. I now live in the wilds but used to insure an M3 in city centre Glasgow for around the same price
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #20
KadeSdad
Colonel
42

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
I am with admiral, 335i coupe, front and rear diffusers declared, m3 rear spoiler (declared before I ever fitted but never did) 15 to 25% more power declared (again never fitted the JB3) alloys and suspension all declared. 590 fully comp no claims guaranteed. (8 years)

Have been with them years and always been the best deal for me. Cannot beat them. I now live in the wilds but used to insure an M3 in city centre Glasgow for around the same price
Hi Finnie

Just got a re quote from Admiral and with my mods (matte black front & side grills both after market, Blackline rears OEM, and a Remus Race exhaust)

All the above for an extra.............12.24!

Admiral also now offer a separate "modification bolt on" that runs alongside your existing policy, may be of some interest to some?

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST