E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Custom tablet (Second generation Nexus 7) mount at head unit

03-11-2016, 05:13 AM   #1
ckegg
台灣人
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Silver

Custom tablet (Second generation Nexus 7) mount at head unit

This mount was for my first gen Nexus 7, but I am upgrading to second gen Nexus 7 so I have to modify the mount. Therefore, I am just sharing the experience while it is pretty much like building a new one.

First of all, my car has no option buttons below my head unit, that area is pretty much nothing and I always want to put something there. I am tired of the iDrive navigation system as well so I decide to install a tablet there. When I had my first gen Nexus 7, I was using GPIO pins on the side to charge the tablet, but now I am going with wireless charging on my second gen Nexus 7.

It took me a while to decide how I want to build the mount; I need something fits the interior theme, and easy enough to remove the table as I need. I could build it with wood, aluminum, or print it with 3D printer, but considering the safety plastic material is the best. I found an unused power adapter which is just over 8" a little bit prefect for a Nexus 7.

It took me a while taking it apart and using dremel tools to cut the shape like this. The mount is extending below the head unit cover.

It just fit my first gen Nexus 7, but I have to cut both side more to fit the wider second gen Nexus 7

Get some leather pieces, you can use your old leather clothes, hand bags, but I grabbed an ipad case.

Get a plastic glass, high grade one that can resist the summer heat.

Making the back support stand with the plastic glass and put leathers on.

Second gen Nexus 7 supports wireless charging, so finding your preferred wireless charging base. The one I picked takes 12V DC in so it is prefect for cars.

I remove the cover to reduce the gap space between the tablet and the wireless charging base. I also soldered wires which will be connecting to car directly to the power jack.

A second generation Nexus 7, or tablet you want to use. My Nexus 7 is 4G model.

In order to keep the tablet staying on the mount while accelerating, you need to do something for that. I took the back cover off, and add permanent magnets.

I made magnets really thin so they could fit the tiny space inside the tablet

Now adding permanent magnets to the stand

so it can hold the tablet like this..... umm sorry it is just the back cover, but is good enough to keep the acrual tablet in place.

I would like to have a little light on the mount. This is the light source I just made for it

Install the wireless charging base and the lighting

It is how it lights up

and testing with the tablet

Now installing the mount onto the head unit cover, I ordered a seperate one keeping it as a backup.

The mount will block my head unit, but I never use shortcut buttons and DVD drive on the head unit so it won't bother me.

Bottom view, ugly but you won't see it

Put the head unit cover back to the car

Tapping the wire to the cigarettes lighter plug below glove box. I added a fuse.

Power on

I still can access my storage box underneath

Done. Now I can enjoy Waze again.

This setup I can always take the tablet with me when leaving the car, or let passenger play with it. It is convenience that I use the tablet on my hand such as searching address, yelp restaurants, or googling, and throw it back on the mount and go. My first gen Nexus 7 had anti-glare screen protector and I will do the same with my second gen Nexus 7, I highly recommended you put anti-glare screen protector on so your tablet won't shine your eye.

If you want to see how the first gen looks like, here are some pics
Appreciate 1