E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can I increase the volume of my factory installed Alarm

09-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
jayo

Drives: E90 320D SE

Can I increase the volume of my factory installed Alarm

My e90 was broken into last night outside my house. The alarm was activated but it didn't wake me or my neighbours.

My last car was a VW Golf and the alarm went off one night and woke up the whole street.

I tested it today and the alarm sounds very like the noise a truck makes when reversing - very quite and unobtrusive.

Does anybody know if the volume of the alarm can be increased - I don't have I-Drive.

Thanks,

Jason
320D SE, Comfort Access, Artic, Beige Leather, Style 159 Wheels, Adaptive Headlights, Sunroof, Through Load, Burl Walnut, PDC Rear, Cruise, Sports Seats, Chrome Grille, Rain Sensor, Sports Steering Wheel
      01-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
siracer27

Drives: 08 335i conv

I wonder the same thing, my volume is so low. Anybody know a way to increase it volume????? PLEASE POST!!!!!!
      01-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
I mean if you could somehow hook up the siren's signal to an amp and then upgrade the siren and add a small amp....you can make it as loud as you want. But I don't think there is coding you can do to make it louder.

Maybe you can cut a hole in the felt liner and put some mesh there?
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      01-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
335iMIAMI
Major

Drives: 2008 E90 335i

I think your stuck on this one , BMW alarms have always been whimpy. My mom had a e39 5 series when I was smaller , and I remember the alarm being very quite.
      01-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
GenePoole
Lieutenant

Drives: '06 E90 330i

I have yet to figure out just what changed in mine, but a programming update caused mine to become noticeably louder even though the programming didn't effect either alarm module (DWAI or DWAS). I retrofitted the alarm myself and enabled it with NCSExpert and was shocked at how weak it was; both the lock/unlock beep and the siren itself. I updated the programming on an unrelated issue and the lock/unlock beep was 10 times louder and the siren about twice as loud.
      01-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Babaloo
Registered

Drives: e46 320d

Hi.
I had the same problem in my car (e46). The siren is very quiet and want to improve it.
I know is a different car but think the idea is the same.
My siren is behind a ton of plastic walls, cabin filter, etc, so when I installed the alarm it sound OK but after put everything in place, the sound was "muffled" .
A few days ago I decided to try. Find another BMW siren, exactly the same already installed on the car with a few inches of wiring. Reach the original siren, split the original wiring from the siren and connect the new one in parallel. This time the new siren is placed in other place.
Test it and put everything in place. Check with DIS for any errors... NONE.
Result: Now is not a quiet siren It sound very high and is very disturbing be stand up beside the car
At the same time I install a DEI shock sensor, connected to the ultrasound internal module. Now the alarm system is more complete, reacts to every impact in the car and is very loud so I can hear it better from distance.
Any question just ask and I'll try to help.