E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Thinking about Selling Car After 4-Years is up!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Thinking about Selling Car After 4-Years is up!

Hi everyone,

Next month, my 2006 BMW 325i will end its free maintenance plan. :[

According to Edmunds.com the 5-year maintenance cost & repair will be $8,596 & $7,989 respectively.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/bmw...23/prices.html

The car is great and all, but because I use it mainly just to commute, and I'm always paranoid of cops here in Orange County/Los Angeles, that I rarely every drive my car to its full potential.

So I'm thinking about trading my car in to a place like CarMax and getting a 2006 Hyundai Azera SE or some other vehicle with less maintenance costs.

I'm avoiding Hybrids because my gas use is very negligible (short commute), and my plan is to keep the car 6 years when it's very well possible I'd have to replace the battery. . . and that'll cost thousands. And for other reasons why gas isn't such a worry for me that I don't want to go into on this post :]

According to:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/hyu...73111/cto.html

The 5-yr maint & repair is $5,042 & 1,823 respectively for the Azera. That's almost $10,000 I'd be throwing away over 5 years toward maint/repair of the BMW.

I'm not able to justify paying a $2,000 premium/year just to drive the 2006 BMW 325i :[


When I originally researched the BMW 325i back in 2005, the estimated repair & maintenance data wasn't very accurate to the more actual numbers today.


Can anyone on the forum help me rationalize the $2,000 premium/year to continue driving the BMW or be able to poke holes in the data above?

UPDATE 20091008:
My calculations can be seen here
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...Wb0hJQlE&hl=en

Last edited by jeffersonkim; 10-08-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
15

 
Ryan323i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbus, OH


Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

The cost figures are only averages and estimates. If you've taken care of your car you're not going to spend that much maintaining the BMW. Do some preventative maitenance and that will keep you from having to pay the big repair bills.

It costs thousands to replace the battery??
__________________
2006 330i | TiAg/Black Leather | Steptronic | Premium Package | Cold Weather Package | iPod Interface Adapter | Clear Bra | Window Tint (35%)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
742
Major
11

 
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA


Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (0)

It is not so much a matter of rationalizing as it is making sure that you have accurate information and a realistic framework to put it in.

I am very skeptical of the Edmunds numbers. Consider the small example of brake fluid changes. BMW is going to get “charged” for requiring this service, Hyundai does not – even though it uses the same fluid. In the short term, < 7 years, this saves money. However in the long term the corrosion in the ABS module and brake calipers can run into the thousands of dollars.

So “cost to own” is meaningless unless you fully understand both company’s preventative maintenance philosophy and then set them against your planned period of ownership.

And even then it is something of a fool’s errand. We are each only one data point, and our individual experiences will not match whatever numbers the Edmunds interns crunch on their spreadsheets. You might buy a Hyundai and find yourself replacing the transmission in two months while the new owner of your BMW enjoys many years of trouble free driving. A real world example of this sits within a few hundred yards of my house. I have two VWs that have been great cars and that at 90,000+ miles each have never let anyone sit. Meanwhile I have two neighbors with Hondas that have had major transmission failures – notwithstanding what everyone “knows” about these two brands from reading Consumer Reports and Edmunds.

And then there is the cost of this trade that you are considering. You are going to sell your BMW at wholesale and buy a used Hyundai at retail. You can pay for a lot of maintenance with that money.

A practical thing to do is to find a good independent BMW garage and practice good, aggressive, preventative maintenance. However I have to be honest, you don’t come across as someone who is that interested in cars. There is nothing wrong with that, but a BMW may not be the right car for you regardless of how the maintenance numbers work out. If that is the case your best bet would be to sell the car yourself, then take the money and go car shopping.

Last edited by 742; 10-08-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
FJc335
First Lieutenant
14

 
FJc335's Avatar
 
Drives: platinum bronze e92
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Smallville- NJ


Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

Maybe you should have thought about leasing it instead.
__________________

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
58

 
MrDummy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Unemployment Capitol of America


Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
But if you almost have it paid off, then use the $$ for maint then instead of monthly payments
__________________
SuPerMoD @ MassMonsterz.com
A "Happy" Owner of a Metallic Space Gray 2010 BMW 328i
ProGaMeR on the XboX 360
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

A little more background. I bought the car Nov 2005 through a military program while stationed in Germany. I got it $27,750 without needing to pay tax along with a 2% APR through my bank, USAA. The nice thing about the loan is that it's unsecured, so even if I sell the car, I can still take advantage of the low interest rate.

MrDummy: My payments end in Dec 2010, but I don't plan on buying a new car. The extra "car payment" I would rather save than feel like I'm bleeding it away on a luxury car that I don't necessarily appreciate or value.

FJc335: My circumstances above prevented me from doing so and limited my options.

742: You are right on. If I can't get a decent trade in, I may just say screw it and keep the car. And I do need to double check the data as well regarding Edmunds. I'll hopefully drive the car to the ground, so I do need to check how they got these figures.


Are there any real world numbers that people can offer regarding the true cost of maintenance and repairs at an independent shop?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRyan323 View Post
The cost figures are only averages and estimates. If you've taken care of your car you're not going to spend that much maintaining the BMW. Do some preventative maitenance and that will keep you from having to pay the big repair bills.

It costs thousands to replace the battery??
I was referencing the battery regarding Hybrids. Their warranty is approximately 8 years from my online research. I plan on keeping the car hopefully until it dies, so I don't want to pony up for a hybrid battery replacement.

Yes, you would save tons of money through gas which would offset that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
ENINTY
Banned
60

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia


Posts: 3,415
iTrader: (0)

I've got 93K on my '06 325i. I spent $550 on brakes (parts only - DIY), 3 post-fee maintenance oil changes at $65 each (DIY) and $2,400 on a new AC compressor (dealer repair). Not anywhere near $8K.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I've got 93K on my '06 325i. I spent $550 on brakes (parts only - DIY), 3 post-fee maintenance oil changes at $65 each (DIY) and $2,400 on a new AC compressor (dealer repair). Not anywhere near $8K.
According to the Edmunds numbers. . .

I'm still trying to figure out how they calculated that you could spend about $1,719.20/year on maintenance and still end up paying $7,989 on repairs over 5 years.

I always thought the point of maintenance was to PREVENT repairs.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Just got back from CarMax and they're only going to offer me $13,000 for my car. I'll probably just keep it if all I can get is $13,000. Why would I want to PAY money to downgrade?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
FCP Euro
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
FCP Euro's Avatar
 
Drives: Volvo 850 T5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Old Saybrook, CT


Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonkim View Post
A little more background. I bought the car Nov 2005 through a military program while stationed in Germany. I got it $27,750 without needing to pay tax along with a 2% APR through my bank, USAA. The nice thing about the loan is that it's unsecured, so even if I sell the car, I can still take advantage of the low interest rate.

MrDummy: My payments end in Dec 2010, but I don't plan on buying a new car. The extra "car payment" I would rather save than feel like I'm bleeding it away on a luxury car that I don't necessarily appreciate or value.

FJc335: My circumstances above prevented me from doing so and limited my options.

742: You are right on. If I can't get a decent trade in, I may just say screw it and keep the car. And I do need to double check the data as well regarding Edmunds. I'll hopefully drive the car to the ground, so I do need to check how they got these figures.


Are there any real world numbers that people can offer regarding the true cost of maintenance and repairs at an independent shop?
It honestly sounds like you have already made up your mind on this. Just make sure it is really what you want. The Hyundai is nothing like the BMW even if it is just a 10 mile or so commute.
__________________

sales@fcpeuro.com
FCP Euro - European Car Parts Specialists
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

It almost looks like I'll have to find someone who's willing to do a straight trade for my car and theirs. To be seen. . .
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
ENINTY
Banned
60

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia


Posts: 3,415
iTrader: (0)

So if you are that concerned with repair costs, why don't you look into buying an extended warranty? There are companies now offering extended warranties up to 200,000 miles.

We can all debate what the maintenance schedule should be for modern BMWs, but oil changes, brakes, and fluid changes are all inexpensive items. Any decent BMW mechanic can accomplish them at a good price. Leave the big stuff to the extended warranty.

Of the three BMW I've had in the past 22 years (I still have all three), I have found them not very expensive to maintain (except for the AC compressor on my E90).

Switching out of a BMW to another brand and loosing money for it may not leave a good taste in your mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
So if you are that concerned with repair costs, why don't you look into buying an extended warranty? There are companies now offering extended warranties up to 200,000 miles.

We can all debate what the maintenance schedule should be for modern BMWs, but oil changes, brakes, and fluid changes are all inexpensive items. Any decent BMW mechanic can accomplish them at a good price. Leave the big stuff to the extended warranty.

Of the three BMW I've had in the past 22 years (I still have all three), I have found them not very expensive to maintain (except for the AC compressor on my E90).

Switching out of a BMW to another brand and loosing money for it may not leave a good taste in your mouth.
You're exactly right. And as I look at the numbers. . . I'm thinking Edmunds.com prices were just extremely bloated. This might be a good excuse for me to start DIY. I need the experience, and that's what these forums are for!

Do you happen to know what extended warranty companies for 200,000 miles are good and legal in California?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
ENINTY
Banned
60

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia


Posts: 3,415
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonkim View Post
You're exactly right. And as I look at the numbers. . . I'm thinking Edmunds.com prices were just extremely bloated. This might be a good excuse for me to start DIY. I need the experience, and that's what these forums are for!

Do you happen to know what extended warranty companies for 200,000 miles are good and legal in California?
No idea. Got some junk mail a few weeks ago. Thrashed it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Here they are:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5996904
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #17
FCP Euro
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
FCP Euro's Avatar
 
Drives: Volvo 850 T5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Old Saybrook, CT


Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

I hear MBI is good and is California legal. You may want to check them out.
__________________

sales@fcpeuro.com
FCP Euro - European Car Parts Specialists
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #18
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Do you know what their website is?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
ALUFELGEN
United_States
99

 
ALUFELGEN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Florida


Posts: 2,059
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ALUFELGEN Send a message via MSN to ALUFELGEN
Have you thought about getting an extended warranty to 7-years/100k?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
jeffersonkim
Private
7

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Yeah. My continuing post on Warranty Direct (WarrantyDirect.com) that I'm looking at is at http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5996904
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #21
index1489
Colonel
United_States
70

 
index1489's Avatar
 
Drives: Out of warranty BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chino, CA


Posts: 2,101
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonkim View Post
Hi everyone,

Next month, my 2006 BMW 325i will end its free maintenance plan. :[

According to Edmunds.com the 5-year maintenance cost & repair will be $8,596 & $7,989 respectively.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/bmw...23/prices.html

The car is great and all, but because I use it mainly just to commute, and I'm always paranoid of cops here in Orange County/Los Angeles, that I rarely every drive my car to its full potential.

So I'm thinking about trading my car in to a place like CarMax and getting a 2006 Hyundai Azera SE or some other vehicle with less maintenance costs.

I'm avoiding Hybrids because my gas use is very negligible (short commute), and my plan is to keep the car 6 years when it's very well possible I'd have to replace the battery. . . and that'll cost thousands. And for other reasons why gas isn't such a worry for me that I don't want to go into on this post :]

According to:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/hyu...73111/cto.html

The 5-yr maint & repair is $5,042 & 1,823 respectively for the Azera. That's almost $10,000 I'd be throwing away over 5 years toward maint/repair of the BMW.

I'm not able to justify paying a $2,000 premium/year just to drive the 2006 BMW 325i :[


When I originally researched the BMW 325i back in 2005, the estimated repair & maintenance data wasn't very accurate to the more actual numbers today.


Can anyone on the forum help me rationalize the $2,000 premium/year to continue driving the BMW or be able to poke holes in the data above?

UPDATE 20091008:
My calculations can be seen here
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...Wb0hJQlE&hl=en
Those numbers are way off its no where near that amount, DIY independent shop, discounted parts ftw.

I bet if you ran to the dealership for every little problem it still would not be close.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST