E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Lifting the E9x with a Floor Jack



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
ENINTY
Banned
75
Rep
3,415
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Lifting the E9x with a Floor Jack

Since there has been a lot of discussion on how to safely lift the the E9x. Here is the official procedure from the BMW TIS. Please be safe. This is BMW copywrited information used without permission.
Attached Files
File Type: doc E90 Lifting with trolly jack.doc (113.5 KB, 5217 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
Mega Man's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
2,027
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Cool find. Do you have the same thing for e82?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
84
Rep
2,353
Posts

Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for posting. This is good info. What concerns me is what happens after the car is lifted. How can we support the car with stands placed at the regular jack points?
Is it ok to put stands on the car's jack pads?

I am worried the plastic jack point may be crushed and the car could fall off the jack stands. Especially since the car is not level when only using stands at the front. Do you have an opinion about this?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
FCP Euro
Lieutenant
FCP Euro's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: Volvo 850 T5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Old Saybrook, CT

iTrader: (0)

Awesome find, thanks for the info.
__________________

sales@fcpeuro.com
FCP Euro - European Car Parts Specialists
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
PaulBailey@ltbmw's Avatar
Italy
378
Rep
26,854
Posts

Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
Hmm. . . So is it ok to use the rear diff or not??
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
raceyBMW
king of the hills
raceyBMW's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
2,896
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
Yes, just not the diff cover
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
ENINTY
Banned
75
Rep
3,415
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Thanks for posting. This is good info. What concerns me is what happens after the car is lifted. How can we support the car with stands placed at the regular jack points?
Is it ok to put stands on the car's jack pads?

I am worried the plastic jack point may be crushed and the car could fall off the jack stands. Especially since the car is not level when only using stands at the front. Do you have an opinion about this?
The lift points under the rocker panels are for lifting the car (on a commercial lift) so they are safe to put stands under. The palstic is very tough and will not break.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
zhangzeyuandss's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
935
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 MW m3; 2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston, Tx

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via AIM to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via MSN to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via Yahoo to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via Skype™ to zhangzeyuandss
good info.. thanks for the posting
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
84
Rep
2,353
Posts

Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the reply. I did the oil change last weekend. I jacked up the car and as high as my jack would go, then put 3 large concrete pavers under each front tyre. This keeps the front tyres 6" above the ground. I am not going to recommend anything at all for other people, but it worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
JTZimmerman
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90, 2008 X3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The lift points under the rocker panels are for lifting the car (on a commercial lift) so they are safe to put stands under. The palstic is very tough and will not break.
Not that tough, I cracked mine. I'd be very cautious about what kind of jack stand you use on these. In any event you will have to distribute the weight evenly across the pad so that will depend highly on the type of jack stand you use.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
eltoshan
Private First Class
eltoshan's Avatar
3
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (1)

So has anyone figured out a way to put jack stands in the front without crushing pads? At least in the back you can put the jack stands under the subframe, but the subframe is covered by the plastic stuff in the front, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
JTZimmerman
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90, 2008 X3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoshan View Post
So has anyone figured out a way to put jack stands in the front without crushing pads? At least in the back you can put the jack stands under the subframe, but the subframe is covered by the plastic stuff in the front, isn't it?
I made some jack pads for mine out of TREX. I have no idea what others are doing but this worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
nestillo335i
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
6
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mayaguez PR

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTZimmerman View Post
I made some jack pads for mine out of TREX. I have no idea what others are doing but this worked for me.
This is nice. I just crushed mine today after lifting the car. It damaged the side skirt too. I heard a cracking sound, so I lowered the car just in time, before something really bad happens. I can't belief BMW use plastic on that important part which has to support the car's weight
__________________
2008 Jet Black E92 SOLD
2007 SG E90 Stock

Last edited by nestillo335i; 11-30-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
jemanner
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panaca, NV

iTrader: (0)

Surely someone will come out soon with an aftermaket accessory to enable us to safely lift our vehicles with a standard floor ("trolly") jack? Worse yet, did not realize BMW's came with the plastic gadgets already on the car, and ordered some while my vehicle was on on it's way. Oh well, will have one available for a guide to build a matching pad. Don't wish to appear naive, but what is "TREX", and where can one get this material?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
JTZimmerman
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90, 2008 X3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemanner View Post
Surely someone will come out soon with an aftermaket accessory to enable us to safely lift our vehicles with a standard floor ("trolly") jack? Worse yet, did not realize BMW's came with the plastic gadgets already on the car, and ordered some while my vehicle was on on it's way. Oh well, will have one available for a guide to build a matching pad. Don't wish to appear naive, but what is "TREX", and where can one get this material?
Trex is a composite lumber, you can buy it at any big box store like Lowe's or Home Depot. It is mostly plastic but it isn't the brittle type of plastic like the BMW jack pads are made of, it is really almost perfect for the application since it won't crush like wood but won't crack like brittle plastic either.

Ultimately I'd like some out of aluminum but I don't have a milling machine or the stock laying around.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #16
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
335iheLLraiseR's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
4,666
Posts

Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: sfl

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTZimmerman View Post
Trex is a composite lumber, you can buy it at any big box store like Lowe's or Home Depot. It is mostly plastic but it isn't the brittle type of plastic like the BMW jack pads are made of, it is really almost perfect for the application since it won't crush like wood but won't crack like brittle plastic either.

Ultimately I'd like some out of aluminum but I don't have a milling machine or the stock laying around.
there have been some for sale on here for some time now. $29.99 i believe. Once in a blue moon they show up the classifieds.

those were round though for use with most floor jacks, yours appear to be made to fit that jack stand.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
Soni
Major General
Soni's Avatar
Canada
117
Rep
8,376
Posts

Drives: Just a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CANADA eh!

iTrader: (35)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The lift points under the rocker panels are for lifting the car (on a commercial lift) so they are safe to put stands under. The palstic is very tough and will not break.
All my 4 plastics are either borken or bent. Now I am using one if this
Name:  IMG_0608.JPG
Views: 6952
Size:  162.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
nestillo335i
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
6
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mayaguez PR

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni View Post
All my 4 plastics are either borken or bent. Now I am using one if this
Attachment 331329
That look greats. Where did you get it??? Is it metal?
Thanks
__________________
2008 Jet Black E92 SOLD
2007 SG E90 Stock
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #19
ENINTY
Banned
75
Rep
3,415
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2-post lift in my garage. I've lifted my car in the past 3 years at least 25 times and never damaged any of the lifting pads. I've seen how the BMW shops lift cars and they do not use any adapters; just the lifting arm foot right under the lifting pad.

If you follow BMW's recommended floor jack lifting procedure by using the front and rear center lift points and then set the car down on 4 jack stands with a design which spreads the pressure around the perimeter of the lift pad, the pad will not break. The adapters are not a bad idea. Some seem elaborate, as a block of wood would suffice.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
jemanner
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panaca, NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I have a 2-post lift in my garage. I've lifted my car in the past 3 years at least 25 times and never damaged any of the lifting pads. I've seen how the BMW shops lift cars and they do not use any adapters; just the lifting arm foot right under the lifting pad.

If you follow BMW's recommended floor jack lifting procedure by using the front and rear center lift points and then set the car down on 4 jack stands with a design which spreads the pressure around the perimeter of the lift pad, the pad will not break. The adapters are not a bad idea. Some seem elaborate, as a block of wood would suffice.
Great advice! Yes, the key is probably even pressure on the lift pad, and possibly a cut piece of wood or other material in the center recess if one wishes absolutely evenly distributed pressure. Was running scared with the experience of one forum member that the pad cracked and his jack damaged the vehicle. Also great advice to lift on the center lift points and following up with jack stands. Too darned cold in the garage to try anything now, but come spring... Caught between a rock and a hard place, as I don't wish the dealer to do anything on my new 335d, but the included Ultimate Care makes it very hard to turn down. The "technician" doing oil changes is not going to be their top-notch and motivated person. I can do my own oil changes for a tad under $100 each, so is it worth taking the risk for this savings?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
ENINTY
Banned
75
Rep
3,415
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemanner View Post
Great advice! Yes, the key is probably even pressure on the lift pad, and possibly a cut piece of wood or other material in the center recess if one wishes absolutely evenly distributed pressure. Was running scared with the experience of one forum member that the pad cracked and his jack damaged the vehicle. Also great advice to lift on the center lift points and following up with jack stands. Too darned cold in the garage to try anything now, but come spring... Caught between a rock and a hard place, as I don't wish the dealer to do anything on my new 335d, but the included Ultimate Care makes it very hard to turn down. The "technician" doing oil changes is not going to be their top-notch and motivated person. I can do my own oil changes for a tad under $100 each, so is it worth taking the risk for this savings?
You paid for the oil changes in the price of the car, so you'd be throwing your money away and paying to do so. I doubt the Tech regardless of his motovation would damage your car doing an oil service. He's BMW factory trained and ASE certified.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
KurtV
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Austin,TX

iTrader: (0)

BMW Jack Stands

ECS Tuning makes jack stands that work with those funny rectangular jacking points on many BMWs. Less than $20.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search_BMW/...ands/ES251251/
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST