E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - How to Disable e92 “ Seatbelt Assist ” arm

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
.psd's Avatar DIY - How to Disable e92 “ Seatbelt Assist ” arm
.psd
09-25-2006
A) For those who don’t like to read directions: Take out the seatbelt fuse
B) For others who want a detailed directions, read below:

FIRST:
Do this in the daytime for more light.
Press in the key (do not press Start Button) - radio should come on, AND Seatbelt...
By triton. on 09-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
Nice, I need to go pull the fuse on my headlight washers, unless its winter, they make more mess than they clean.
No kidding, the worse is right after you've washed your car and they kick on. Ugh.
By RiXst3r on 09-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Somebody take out the seatbelt fuse and then set off their airbags, this is the only way we will know... C'mon someone take one for the team!

A brick wall, or a tree at highway speeds tends to be a good test platform for airbags... And make sure you have a passenger, wouldnt want to have to repeat the test for the passenger side!!!

Thanks, I look forward to hearing the results!
By NuovoTech on 09-25-2006, 02:58 PM
If your airbag system is down for ANY reason, ie blown fuse, bad sensor, etc, you'll surely get a fault code on your dash readout. My 1996 318ti had my passenger seat sensor go bad & I got a "Check Engine" fault code. BTW that cost me $400!
By .psd on 09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
So far, I have had no fault codes for taking Fuse 25 out.

I also decided to take RiXst3r's advice... I just ran my car into a tree. All airbags went off JUST FINE!
By KUweatherman on 09-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rody
we all know that, but if you drive every time for like 5 min it gets irritating
I work at a dealership; I know about being in cars for short distances. Know what I do if the chime gets on my nerves? I put my seatbelt on.
By YYdoodle on 09-25-2006, 09:35 PM
E92 DIYs already? you guys work fast!
By Jason on 09-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Adding to master DIY list
By bmwexecutive on 10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .psd
When I took Fuse 25 out, I drove around the block and noticed that the seatbelt chime came on (because I wasn't wearing my seatbelt), So it definitely detected me (without giving me the belt). Therefore the proper airbags should work because the seat knows there's a person in it.
I hope you meant that someone else was driving and that you were in the passenger seat. There isn't a weight sensor in the driver seat to begin with because what is the car supposed to think other than if it's moving someone is in the driver's seat?
By ENINTY on 10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman
I work at a dealership; I know about being in cars for short distances. Know what I do if the chime gets on my nerves? I put my seatbelt on.

This will sound funny, but a '99 Ford F150 seatbelt clasp (male) will fit the the E90 seat belt buckle (female side). Don't ask how I know. I keep a spare clasp in my center arm rest... Get one at a junk yard.
By Vinobien on 10-21-2006, 06:45 PM
that was a modt impressive and detailed post. Are you a procedure writer of some sort. I would have said ... find the fusebox in the glovebox and remove fuse 25. Thanks fo rthe detail
By longtran on 10-22-2006, 12:58 AM
freakin awesome man. i doubt the airbag is affected. if it was the srs light will be on.
By neuronpetkowski on 10-22-2006, 01:19 AM
nice diy.
we're getting beveled numbers on DIY photos.
these DIYs are getting 'purrttier and purrrtier' as they come in.

guess, that's why OP is a psd...
By Philritter21 on 12-07-2006, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rody
this doesn't shut down the chime ?
wearing your seatbelt does.
By txusa03 on 12-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Has anyone thought about removing the "arm"? Ok, wild guess here. Arm is attached to some sort of motor (will know for sure once realoem has part listing for e92). Pull out the interior side panel to access the arm and motor. remove the arm from motor. Put panel back and voila, no need to mess with fuse.
By NuovoTech on 01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Quote:
I take this to mean that if you remove the fuse for the seat belt assistant, you are disabling the passenger-side seat occupancy detector.
Not neccessarily, the fuse does supply the power to both arms & the airbag sensor most likely completes the ground to just the passenger side arm. We'd have to see the schematic to be sure, but if just pulling the #25 fuse also disabled the passenger seat sensor many with children would do just that. But the engineers(by law) would not make it that easy to do & warning lites would for sure have to show up on the dash while driving!
Last edited by NuovoTech; 01-26-2007 at 01:35 PM.
By STE92VE on 01-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuovoTech View Post
We'd have to see the schematic to be sure
I agree. Pulling the fuse without 100% knowing what is affected is like playing russian roulette.
By ironic on 01-26-2007, 02:20 PM
they never bothered me, but then agai they never helped much i'm normally too impatient to let it come out all the way

i'd rather have something that stops the seatbelts from slamming into the side of the interior when u let go of them
By PiperD on 01-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEnvy View Post
I take this to mean that if you remove the fuse for the seat belt assistant, you are disabling the passenger-side seat occupancy detector. If you do this mod, I suggest you hand your passenger a disclaimer that he/she is riding at their own risk and have them sign it before you pull away.
I pulled the fuse in my e92 a couple of days ago. Today I tested this theory by pushing down hard on the passenger seat with my hand (fist actually). The "passenger airbag disabled" light came on, telling me that the pressure mat is still working correctly.

As an aside - if the airbag itself was disconnected I'm sure the car would show a warning. In the e46 at least the car would measure resistance to the airbags and throw a fault if something was amiss; an open circuit (no fuse) registers as infinite resistance and is easily detectable.
By poiney on 07-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Has any found a way to disable the passenger side only?

This would be a good option for me as my passenger side works intermittently and really confuses everyone who sits there.
By KUweatherman on 07-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Go get it fixed then, lol.
By poiney on 07-14-2007, 03:11 PM
1) Even if it is fixed it doesn't bring value for passenger, since they already have grabbed the seatbelt before the arm extends

2) I want a permanent fix, not one that only lasts 2 mo
By raleedy on 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
1) Even if it is fixed it doesn't bring value for passenger, since they already have grabbed the seatbelt before the arm extends

2) I want a permanent fix, not one that only lasts 2 mo
Amputation?
Comment