E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Going rate on 225/40 ZR18



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

Going rate on 225/40 ZR18

What is the going rate for front tyres fitted for my 335D?

225/40/18/Z

Run flats only.

I've got Bridgestones on the back as i had to get them done in a hurry. But would be happy with PS2's or any other performance run flat.

I know most will say ditch the run flats, but i'll stick with them - ta.
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,360
iTrader: (2)

I wouldn't mix different tyres / makes on a fairly high performance car like a 335d. different makes have different characteristics, and they won't necessarily complement each other. In fact they probably won't. Bridgestones for example let go pretty suddenly and are not so good in the wet. So if you put PS2 on the front you'll have a more grippy, progressive front grip with a back end that lets go first suddenly, not a good combo IMO...

Go for matching bridgestones on the front or ditch the bridgestones rears and get PS2s all round IMO.

What is the load / speed rating? i.e 88Y, you'll need to spec that when you price up new tyres.

A RE050A RFT at 225/40R18 88W is 183 fitted at event-tyres.co.uk who are pretty cheap.
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

The RE050A Bridgestones are pretty new. I'm thinking less than 2k since July. So not keen on changing them.

BUT I guess if I can buy 4 PS2's from Kwik Fit for the price of 3? (they have a 25% off offer on them at the mo)........
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Your rears are 255 i rekon mate.
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,360
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
The RE050A Bridgestones are pretty new. I'm thinking less than 2k since July. So not keen on changing them.

BUT I guess if I can buy 4 PS2's from Kwik Fit for the price of 3? (they have a 25% off offer on them at the mo)........
Might be worth going for the discounted set of PS2 (staggered as dxb says) then sell your bridgestones on the bay....
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
 
Captain Chaos's Avatar
 
Drives: cars n stuff
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 473
iTrader: (2)

As Carlos says, should be 255 on the back - 255/35/18 by default I think.

Sticky on the front and loose on the rear isn't so bad - much better than the other way around (!) - but generally I'd say lose the Bridgestones as they're a poor tyre compared to the PS2. If you're definitely going to stay on ZP tyres, the fronts should set you back 210ish a piece and the rears 240ish a piece - so around 700 with the Kwik Fit offer at present.

The lose the BSs on the bay and maybe make a couple back if you're lucky.
Captain Chaos is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Your rears are 255 i rekon mate.
yeh i know that.

But surely they'll let you buy 4 tyres and take 25% off in kwikfit even if they are different sizes front and rear?
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Might be worth going for the discounted set of PS2 (staggered as dxb says) then sell your bridgestones on the bay....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
As Carlos says, should be 255 on the back - 255/35/18 by default I think.

Sticky on the front and loose on the rear isn't so bad - much better than the other way around (!) - but generally I'd say lose the Bridgestones as they're a poor tyre compared to the PS2. If you're definitely going to stay on ZP tyres, the fronts should set you back 210ish a piece and the rears 240ish a piece - so around 700 with the Kwik Fit offer at present.

The lose the BSs on the bay and maybe make a couple back if you're lucky.
Okay that's the plan...cheers for the price heads up.

I might just keep the rears as spares incase i have another sidewall issue and need tyres in a hurry. Will check the bay to see gong rates for tyres with 2000miles on them.
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
 
Captain Chaos's Avatar
 
Drives: cars n stuff
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 473
iTrader: (2)

That's another plan if you can stretch it - makes for better value to you (I have a pair of PS2 rears and a pair of PS fronts in mine doing the same thing more or less ).

I think on the KF front they take your total bill and knock 25% off, so you shouldn't have problems with different sizes, but do ask them for a quote before you tell them you want the job done. Their prices don't half vary from the ones you get if you just drive in and ask for tyres (the mother-in-law has just cottoned on to this and saved 40 on her last 2 pairs of tyres - and her Polo's on 15s so the numbers weren't that big to start with!).
Captain Chaos is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

Okay online: KF has the

RFT PS2 in 225/40/18 @ 198.84

When i look at 255/35/18 it comes in at just over 200 but doesn't say run flat. Says reinforced?

Off to make a phone call.
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

KF price

Michelin PS2 ZP

225/40/18Y x 2
255/35/18W x 2
Total fitting balanced and tracking 779.50

Is good ja?
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
why do you want 4 225's then mate?

any pics of both your beasts together.
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
PhilL
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 e91 335d M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Middle Lands

Posts: 543
iTrader: (0)

I've got 2 PS2 RFTs 225/40 ZR18s with 5mm on them if you're interested?

Was going to put them on Ebay this week but PM me and I'm sure we could come to a deal

You'd only have to get 2 rears then and they would probably last a similar mileage until replacement.
PhilL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
why do you want 4 225's then mate?

any pics of both your beasts together.
I don't. I've priced up two x 225 and two x 255 - see above.

Photo's will need to wait till next year. I haven't had a chance to wash them. Weekdays - i get home after dark. Weekends - i'm out driving
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
I've got 2 PS2 RFTs 225/40 ZR18s with 5mm on them if you're interested?

Was going to put them on Ebay this week but PM me and I'm sure we could come to a deal

You'd only have to get 2 rears then and they would probably last a similar mileage until replacement.
Appreciate the offer, but i'm happy to pay up for new tyres (it's one of my 'things'!)

Ta
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,360
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Okay online: KF has the

RFT PS2 in 225/40/18 @ 198.84

When i look at 255/35/18 it comes in at just over 200 but doesn't say run flat. Says reinforced?

Off to make a phone call.
Reinforced means extra load NON RUNFLAT. 200 is a non RFT price for a 255 PS2

Unless it says Runflat it ain't a Runflat...
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Reinforced means extra load NON RUNFLAT. 200 is a non RFT price for a 255 PS2

Unless it says Runflat it ain't a Runflat...
Cheers - i engaged my brain after posting that
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST