E90Post

Heel & Toe Apparel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Over-heating, Failed Water Pump?

08-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
csehao
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330i

Over-heating, Failed Water Pump?

I have a 2006 BMW 330i with 100k miles.

Yesterday: Got the yellow over-heating, then red over-heating icon yesterday on high way in about 105 degrees. Pulled my car over, rested for half an hour, drove for 1.5 miles, over-heating icon come back again. Towed my car back home.
1. It seems there is coolant bleed out from either the coolant reservoir tank or bleeder screw. Not very much.
2. Checked the coolant level, it is low, while there is no coolant level low icon on the panel.

Today:
1. Added a little coolant till it hit max.
2. Learned about a coolant bleeding / water pump testing procedure from youtube. With ignition on, hit the gas paddle for more than 10 seconds, it seems there should be coolant coming out from the top pipe (coolant over flow hose?) into the coolant reservoir tank. But mine is not working in this way, no sound.
2. When I turned the engine on, radiator fan come on and off intermediately, which I thought is abnormal? While there is still no coolant coming from the hose.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #2
bsmoov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e91 xdrive 6 speed touring

Failed waterpump for sure.

Buy a new waterpump and a new thermostat while you're at it and new aluminum bolts.

Do it yourself and save yourself some money.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 03:33 AM   #3
Jamesv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i arktis metallic

Not sure if it works on your car, but know it works on 2007 328. Turn key on, not car, turn heat on high temp, but low fan speed, then hold gas pedal down for about 10 seconds. This will activate water pump. Open coolant reservoir and water should be flowing routinely. This is the procedure to bleed out air in system after replacing coolant, water pump, thermostat...anything tied to coolant system. If it is flowing it's fine...but I think your out of luck and it needs replacing.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
csehao
Rep

Thanks! I'm thinking about the same thing.

I don't have tools to jack up my car, so I might have to find a repair shop. I wonder how much it will roughly cost, if I buy the parts myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
Failed waterpump for sure.

Buy a new waterpump and a new thermostat while you're at it and new aluminum bolts.

Do it yourself and save yourself some money.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
csehao
Rep

Hi. Thanks! I tried this, there is no coolant coming out from the hose, while I can hear tiny on and off noise of water pump operating down there. I guess the water pump it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post
Not sure if it works on your car, but know it works on 2007 328. Turn key on, not car, turn heat on high temp, but low fan speed, then hold gas pedal down for about 10 seconds. This will activate water pump. Open coolant reservoir and water should be flowing routinely. This is the procedure to bleed out air in system after replacing coolant, water pump, thermostat...anything tied to coolant system. If it is flowing it's fine...but I think your out of luck and it needs replacing.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
kkasson
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Yeah, almost definitely the water pump. The pump will throw codes before/when it fails. If you have a BMW-specific scanner you can read them. They won't show up on a generic OBD2 scanner. A lot of people use the Carly smartphone app. It's something like $50. You'll need a special cable for it which will take a little time to ship. If you want to be absolutely sure, you could order one of the scanners and look for the water pump codes. A BMW scan tool is very helpful anyway, so I'd recommend getting one of them regardless. There are a few options, you can look around the forum.

I believe there's also a fuse for the pump that you can check. But if you try the bleeding procedure and water isn't flowing, then it's definitely the pump. If you say you can hear it clicking but there's no water being pumped, then it's almost certainly just a dead pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
bsmoov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e91 xdrive 6 speed touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by csehao View Post
Thanks! I'm thinking about the same thing.

I don't have tools to jack up my car, so I might have to find a repair shop. I wonder how much it will roughly cost, if I buy the parts myself.
Dude invest in tools. It will save you a LOT of money.

I'm assuming labor alone would be about 600-800 ish...for the WP/TS.

You can get a nice WP/TS package kit that includes everything for about $500 or less. Or you can be a penny pincher and buy the stuff separately with promo-codes at different vendors.

I paid $215 for my waterpump that included new bolts and $75 for my thermostat that included new bolts as well. BMW blue coolant was like 15 for the gallon and distilled water was $1.00 at the grocery store.

$305 out the door and I installed everything myself. Took my time and took about 6-7 hours with lots of breaks and lunch. I could probably do it non stop in about 2.5 hours or so.

That definitely beats $1500+ on what the dealer or indy would charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:09 AM   #8
Gohan335i7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [5.00]
Water Pump & Therm!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
csehao
Rep

Thank you!

I used INPA to scan the code today. It returns 2E81 Electric Coolant Pump Failure.

Then I called the auto shop around my area, they all quote me around $1100, or $600 labor only. I guess it is the time I do my first DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
Yeah, almost definitely the water pump. The pump will throw codes before/when it fails. If you have a BMW-specific scanner you can read them. They won't show up on a generic OBD2 scanner. A lot of people use the Carly smartphone app. It's something like $50. You'll need a special cable for it which will take a little time to ship. If you want to be absolutely sure, you could order one of the scanners and look for the water pump codes. A BMW scan tool is very helpful anyway, so I'd recommend getting one of them regardless. There are a few options, you can look around the forum.

I believe there's also a fuse for the pump that you can check. But if you try the bleeding procedure and water isn't flowing, then it's definitely the pump. If you say you can hear it clicking but there's no water being pumped, then it's almost certainly just a dead pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
csehao
Rep

Thanks! I think I ll do my first DIY this time. I looked up the parts I need, it seems there are $280 Pierburg water pump and $65 Wahler thermostat on ECS Tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
Dude invest in tools. It will save you a LOT of money.

I'm assuming labor alone would be about 600-800 ish...for the WP/TS.

You can get a nice WP/TS package kit that includes everything for about $500 or less. Or you can be a penny pincher and buy the stuff separately with promo-codes at different vendors.

I paid $215 for my waterpump that included new bolts and $75 for my thermostat that included new bolts as well. BMW blue coolant was like 15 for the gallon and distilled water was $1.00 at the grocery store.

$305 out the door and I installed everything myself. Took my time and took about 6-7 hours with lots of breaks and lunch. I could probably do it non stop in about 2.5 hours or so.

That definitely beats $1500+ on what the dealer or indy would charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:58 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

OP, take no offense but the WP/TS DIY is not for a first-timer. If you have some wrenching experience then it might be okay, but you stated earlier that you don't have the tools to lift the car so I'm wondering if you have all the tools to do the repair. You need a E-Torx socket set, 1/4-drive ratchet and extensions and swivel joints, 1-4-drive metric socket set. And the BMW hose connectors are just a total bitch to deal with. You also need a BMW scan tool to clear the old codes so that they don't mislead you in the future if you have cooling system troubles post new pump installation. Find the several DIY's on the DIY subforum and review them before you decide to tackle the job. Eninty's is a good one for the N52. JamesUK posted one in the maintenance subforum with pictures.

Good luck with it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesv
Of the auto bleeding system does not work because the water pump does not turn on, then you know for sure its your water pump.

Buy a new water pump, thermostat & U shaped pipe that connects the two of them.

Probably gonna run you $450-75.00
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #13
csehao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, take no offense but the WP/TS DIY is not for a first-timer. If you have some wrenching experience then it might be okay, but you stated earlier that you don't have the tools to lift the car so I'm wondering if you have all the tools to do the repair. You need a E-Torx socket set, 1/4-drive ratchet and extensions and swivel joints, 1-4-drive metric socket set. And the BMW hose connectors are just a total bitch to deal with. You also need a BMW scan tool to clear the old codes so that they don't mislead you in the future if you have cooling system troubles post new pump installation. Find the several DIY's on the DIY subforum and review them before you decide to tackle the job. Eninty's is a good one for the N52. JamesUK posted one in the maintenance subforum with pictures.

Good luck with it.
Thanks for adivce. I walked through few youtube videos, and it turns out indeed is a pain in the ass to DIY.
End up paying $350 labor in a local shop, with parts from getbmwparts.com.
Everything works fine now.

One difference I noticed is the heater works much stronger than before. (Not 100% sure since I never turn heater on in the summer). Maybe weak heating could be an early sign for problems in cooling system?

Last edited by csehao; 09-07-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Appreciate 0