E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Changed new front pad/rotor/sensor but reset shows 16k mls left???

06-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
nukezero
Major

Drives: '09 335I Cpe

Changed new front pad/rotor/sensor but reset shows 16k mls left???

Hi Guys

My front brake pads would usually show me 50K miles left when the dealer changed the pads/sensor out last time. That was several years ago. Now at 89k miles, the front pads were due and became overdue by 2000 miles. So I went negative 2000 miles (service due since...)

This weekend, I changed the front rotors, pads, and sensor then used the BavTool to reset the brake remaining life.

When I did that, it gave me only 16,000 miles!? How can that be? The rear sensor/pads that I replaced last week reset at 23,000 miles. We know the front pads last longer than the rear.

Also, I bought the sensor from eBay from a trusted vendor who sells BMW oem parts. So is it possible that the sensor is faulty? The sensor did look new and showed no wear and had life.

The bavtool has an option to "reset mileage to a specific value". But if I do that, I'm thinking that I might screw it up and trigger a "replace brake" warning again and have to "short" the two wires to get it to reset?
      06-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
Colonel

Drives: E90

I suggest you just relax and let the system settle out. Going negative 2,000 miles probably messed up the calculation of the estimated pad life. All you need to know is when the wear sensor gets spent, it will trigger the indicator to change the pads. You know you have fresh pads and sensors, so there is no need to worry that the brakes are going to go past due. Once the sensor gets through the first stage, it will probably correct the mileage estimate.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
      06-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Did you try resetting it using the stalk?
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
      06-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
nukezero
Major

Drives: '09 335I Cpe

No, I used the Bav Tool to reset it.
      06-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
No, I used the Bav Tool to reset it.
Try resetting it now with the stalk.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States