E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dyno tips? First time on Thursday

10-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Nick.CBR
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW

Dyno tips? First time on Thursday

Hi Guys,

I'm taking my 335 to the dyno on Thursday for the first time. Is there anything I need to know? It's a 6AT car with a v3 Rev 1 running the 10-9 AT specific map (stage 1) MSD80 ECU. I'll be running on 93 pump gas. The goal here is to see where I'm at with just the box. The car is stock down to the factory airfilter otherwise.

Is there anything I need to tell the guy about doing the pulls? I'm worried about the car downshifting or something unexpected - how do you guys typically do a dyno pull with an auto?

The shop is APS in the south west corner of the Twin Cities if any locals have heard of it. He mainly does Mustangs so I'm not sure how familar he'll be with my car. I can't imagine anything is different - just want to be ready.

I'm hoping for ~330 at the wheels.

Thanks for any info! I will of course post the readouts and pictures that evening.

Nick
Nick.CBR is offline   United_States
      10-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou

Drives: 2015 STi

make sure traction control is all the way off and make sure they don't hit the kickdown

jpsimon is offline   United_States
      10-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335i

Yep. Put it in 4th gear (with the flappy paddles in DS)...probably start the run at 2k rpm...don't have to slam the gas pedal down, because you'd probably go past the notch you feel in the pedal. Just nice and easy press the gas smoothly until you just rest on the notch. I'd do a couple of practices on the road just so you don't kick down on the rollers.

And yes...traction control all the way off...hold the button down for 3 seconds. Make sure the stereo and HVAC is all off. Want to make sure all that boosted power is going to the wheels

Have fun...and never touch the brakes after the pull.
08 335i e90 TiAg/Black, Premium, Sport, Step, Cold Weather, BMW Perf. shifter/e-brake, M3 lip spoiler, blacklines, aFe intake, VMR 710s, Gloss black vinyl trim, black 3.5" DiMisa tips, Procede V5, ar Design OCC, ETS 5" intercooler (black), MTech wheel, rear bumper, and side skirts, Stett CP, Forge DVs, LUX 5.1, Ground Control Coil-overs, OEM split armrest, Raceland catless DPs, BIM Coded...
      10-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

Make sure they have a good (BIG) Fan pointed at the intercooler.

Mike
      10-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
SfValley335i
Colonel

Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Spray water on the IC before you run
SfValley335i is offline   Afghanistan
      10-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

a good fan is crucial, but if its cold enough inside the room you'll be ok....just need a few minutes to cool down.

goodluck. make sure they pickup a rpm signal off the coil wires under the engine cover.
      10-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Nick.CBR
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW

Thanks guys, this is all great info to know! Should I take the cover off the motor so I can get at the coil packs? I think it's only a few bolts...

Nick
Nick.CBR is offline   United_States
      10-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Highflyr
Captain

Drives: 08 335i E90

Send a message via AIM to Highflyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCGoonski View Post
Yep. Put it in 4th gear (with the flappy paddles in DS)...probably start the run at 2k rpm...don't have to slam the gas pedal down, because you'd probably go past the notch you feel in the pedal. Just nice and easy press the gas smoothly until you just rest on the notch. I'd do a couple of practices on the road just so you don't kick down on the rollers.

And yes...traction control all the way off...hold the button down for 3 seconds. Make sure the stereo and HVAC is all off. Want to make sure all that boosted power is going to the wheels

Have fun...and never touch the brakes after the pull.
What's wrong with hitting the brakes?
      10-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
Thanks guys, this is all great info to know! Should I take the cover off the motor so I can get at the coil packs? I think it's only a few bolts...

Nick
you just need to remove the front 2 bolts then you can flex the motor cover up enough to reach a wire. No need to take it off fully.
      10-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Zeph
Major

Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Send a message via AIM to Zeph Send a message via Yahoo to Zeph
I dyno'ed last time on a mustang dyno and they just plugged into the OBD2 port. Seemed to work ok, any problems with doing this? It did throw a couple of lights on the dash (I think one was ABS) but those cleared afterwards. He did have a little bit of trouble getting it to work at first but he said that is normal (it seems to have issues at times).
Zeph is offline   United_States
      10-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I dyno'ed last time on a mustang dyno and they just plugged into the OBD2 port. Seemed to work ok, any problems with doing this? It did throw a couple of lights on the dash (I think one was ABS) but those cleared afterwards. He did have a little bit of trouble getting it to work at first but he said that is normal (it seems to have issues at times).
I've never seen that but i'm sure its possible. Most dyno's I've used just have little clamps to grab rpm off ignition wires.

those codes are normal since your car is wondering why your doing a 140mph burnout
      10-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
I've never seen that but i'm sure its possible. Most dyno's I've used just have little clamps to grab rpm off ignition wires.

those codes are normal since your car is wondering why your doing a 140mph burnout
+1. Use a BT to delete them before service just in case!

Mike