E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > CA can't confirm vessel

10-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
bimmer568

Drives: '95 E36, '10 E91

CA can't confirm vessel

Do CA's have the ability to confirm what vessel my car is on? I emailed mine today who replied "not sure I can confirm...all I have is an estimated departure date 10/22 and an estimated delivery date 10/30". These dates were based on his DAR Pipeline Report, whatever that is.

Background: Completed my build 10/12 and likely missed the FAUST, which left on 10/15 (Congrats to vikz who made it). Next ship was the Integrity but it doesn't stop in NY so the most logical vessel was the ELEKTRA which departed Bremerhaven 10/25 with arrival into NY 11/5. My status on BMWUSA website changed to "EnRoute" on the 26th further confirming my suspicion that I'm on the ELEKTRA.
bimmer568 is offline   United_States
      10-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F32 435/F25 X3 LCI

YES your CA can tell you everything, trust me man. I got a screen shot sent to me from my CA--as well as a voicemail detailing EVERYTHING.

Heres what I got from him on the screen shot from his dealer "DCS" system--or something like that.

Departure date
Vessel
Voyage #
Arrival Date
Port of Arrival
Bill of Lading #
Customer reference #
Vin#
Time in transport

estimated date of arrival to VPC.

I got ALL this info from my CA. Your CA is being lazy.

you completed build on 10/12??...I completed build on 10/13...my car was released to distribution, then to a carrier around MID-DAY on 10/13. I arrived Bremerhaven around 4am 10/14. and was on the FAUST departed 10/15

IF you finished prod. on 10/12--theres a 99% you're on a ship IMO..you need to get on your CA's case.
Sp82 is offline   United_States
      10-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
bimmer568

Thanks vikz this is helpful...will cut and paste into email and get on his tail. Will let you know.
      10-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel

sure thing---its simple, when he enters your production# into the BMW system (DCS) or whatever it is, it should pull up ALL this info... let me know, I'll send you what my CA sent me if you want .

let us know!..
      10-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
bimmer568

Update...asked dealer for info, again, and referenced vikz's post. Final got the answer I was looking for. I'm not on the ELKTRA as I presumed but the PEARL ACE. Between the FAUST and ELEKTRA there was apparently another vessel with a call in NY/NJ (the INTERGRITY doesn't stop in NY/NJ).

Here's the back story..more info than you probably need/want but I found it interesting to track the roots of the vessel:

The PEARL ACE is part of Mitsui OSK Lines ("MOL") of Japan. It was built in 1994, flagged in Panama and can hold 4,000 cars (vs. today's larger vessels than can hold 7000+). MOL has a car carrier business and owns Nissan Motor Carrier Co. Ltd ("NMCC"). NMCC has global agents and partnerships that transport mostly Japanese cars.

The PEARL ACE is one of 20 vessels directly owned by NMCC. NMCC offers Euro Zone shipping services through a strategic partner Höegh Autoliners AS (Norway). As the story unfolds the PEARL ACE was chartered by Wallenius through Höegh to do a direct, one-time, run from Bremerhaven to NY.

My impression is that BMW likely had a lot cars to ship for the period and needed an extra vessel so they chartered the PEARL from Höegh who is a parter of NMCC who is owned by MOL. After the PEARL discharges BMW's (and perhaps other autos) to NY/NJ it goes onto Galeston TX and 5 other Eastern ports to load w/ cargo then is scheduled to discharge at 5 African countries.

So at the end of the day I was tracking the wrong vessel but the good news is my car will be here week earlier than expected. The PEARL arrives NY/NJ 11/1. Interesting thing is that sailwx.com website has no record of the PEARL (call sign HOOT). I guess some vessels report positions and others don't.
      10-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Cavman
Private

Drives: 2015 35d M-Sport Carbon Black

Great story and very interesting

Haven't heard of W&W chartering an outside firm before and haven't seen that shipping company (or Ship) mentioned on any BMW boards. Particularly interesting since the economy is supposed to be struggling. BMW needing an extra ship doesn't sound like a struggle to me.

You, my friend, are in rarified air aboard the Pearl Ace.

Glad you got the info and very happy to hear that the ship will be in even earlier than you anticipated.

As for tracking, when the boats go into the open water (like from England to US East Coast) they don't report their positions as often (or at all) and therefore, following them can be challenging.

Post pics when you get the new ride.

And congrats again.
      10-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
bimmer568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
Haven't heard of W&W chartering an outside firm before and haven't seen that shipping company (or Ship) mentioned on any BMW boards. Particularly interesting since the economy is supposed to be struggling. BMW needing an extra ship doesn't sound like a struggle to me.

You, my friend, are in rarified air aboard the Pearl Ace.

Glad you got the info and very happy to hear that the ship will be in even earlier than you anticipated.

As for tracking, when the boats go into the open water (like from England to US East Coast) they don't report their positions as often (or at all) and therefore, following them can be challenging.

Post pics when you get the new ride.

And congrats again.
Thanks Cavman...I'll be sure to post pics next week after she arrives. Hopefully there will be some sort of tracking available on sailwx. Time to start planning the winter storage of my e36 vert.
      10-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Sp82
Lieutenant Colonel

awesome man!! good news...happy for ya!
      10-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
E92Dutchie
Private

Drives: E92 328i Space Grey

My ordered 528xDrive is also on a non-standard carrier, the Triumph Ace (H3CB) from MOL. It left Bremerhaven on 10/19, arrived in Baltimore on 10/29, and currently en route to the Panama Canal with scheduled arrival in Port Hueneme on 11/13. Apparently these MOL ships don't make as many stops as the WW ones, which is good news.
So apparently BMW is using all possible carriers at the moment, just driving cars onto any ship it can gets its hands on in Bremerhaven :-)