E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Caliper Painting

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY: Caliper Painting
nexus66
08-10-2005
Here's a rough guide to painting your calipers.

Of course you can buy special caliper paint, but over 5 cars I've used Japlac High Gloss Laquer, Colour - Jet Black (of course) and never had any problems with heat. Another good paint would be a gloss enamel, but I have the Japlac,...
By arnold on 11-23-2005, 02:32 PM
ou lap se rooi maak mooi, bo bont onder vol stront, keep it original
By mds82 on 08-18-2006, 10:46 AM
For those of you who havent done this, i would really recomend it. I did this a while ago and a get a bunch of comments about it. It really cleans up the inside of your wheels.
By Chesmu on 08-18-2006, 04:25 PM
mine are stock and red. I know, maybe they look small,etc, but I like 'em red. It's just different, and I'm probably the only one who notices.
By bavarian19 on 08-18-2006, 04:32 PM
I really wish I was comfortable enough to do this...

Anyone in the DC Metro area do it???
By Chesmu on 08-18-2006, 04:34 PM
[quote=bavarian19]I really wish I was comfortable enough to do this...

QUOTE]

It's not a super showy thing. Just adds a little fun to the car. Aho cares what others think, anyway. Besides if they give you sh*t, drive in front of them and blind 'em with your REAR FOGLIGHTS!
By bavarian19 on 08-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow

It's not a super showy thing. Just adds a little fun to the car. Aho cares what others think, anyway. Besides if they give you sh*t, drive in front of them and blind 'em with your REAR FOGLIGHTS!

Well, I will only use those rear fogs when necessary...

Its not about the show... I just dont feel comfortable doing it myself... I feel like I would get paint in the wrong places and cause some other damage...
By Chesmu on 08-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Well, I will only use those rear fogs when necessary...

Its not about the show... I just dont feel comfortable doing it myself... I feel like I would get paint in the wrong places and cause some other damage...
oh for the LoG... you CHANGED YOUR STEERING WHEEL! This easy. Get a caliper paint kit off amazon.com. The caliper painting DIY is really easy to follow... if you take the time to masking tape off properly (10 minutes) there's no issue whatsoever. Really. I have never done anything like ods before and this was the FIRST one I tried. Very easy and straightforward. Trust me. We've known each other's pseudonyms for a while now.
By mds82 on 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM
bravarian - its soo simple to do this honestly. all you need to do is take the wheel off, use some wheel cleaner to clean off the brakes, let dry, and use a small paint brush and the caliber paint. just use the paint in a can and not the spray paint. heres a link to some of the stuff. I think i used a Dupont paint that i found at AutoZone.

http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa...FIL%3DGAWPAINT
By BigO1120 on 05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I had an Black Saphire Metallic X3 and I ended up painting the calipers red. I was a bit nervous at first when I took the wheel off but I said to myself...F it!!!!

It was a nice touch and I did get compliments. And it is not that hard to do. It should take you no more then an hour and half to complete the job.
By ducati955 on 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM
i wil def be painting my calipers red!
By BigO1120 on 05-02-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking of painting my calipers yellow...and I have a Montego Blue 3.

What do you guys think?
By nyc3r on 05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I have a white e90 and am trying to decide between black and red... i think black would look better since these are stock calipers.
By nexus66 on 05-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3r View Post
I have a white e90 and am trying to decide between black and red... i think black would look better since these are stock calipers.
You'll get away with either. How modded is your car? I always think you can get away with red only when there's lots of other mods visible. If you wanna stay stealthy - go black! Also depends on the car - my mate has a black RX-8 with red calipers - looks great as it suits the style of car...
By ducati955 on 05-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
bravarian - its soo simple to do this honestly. all you need to do is take the wheel off, use some wheel cleaner to clean off the brakes, let dry, and use a small paint brush and the caliber paint. just use the paint in a can and not the spray paint. heres a link to some of the stuff. I think i used a Dupont paint that i found at AutoZone.

http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa...FIL%3DGAWPAINT
so there is enough in this can do do the brakes well? the e92 brakes are pretty big, i think the red will look good on an aw car.... can anyone photoshop this... i'm like 90% sure on this mod.....and is it still ok to do this cause don't we have heated brakes?
By E90330iS on 05-07-2007, 03:28 AM
nice mod!
By montreal_bimmer on 05-10-2007, 09:10 AM
i bought a can of spray paint to paint my calipers, is there a way to open it up so i can use it like a brush, or is the can gonna explode in my face....

(i could get a friend to open it for me...)
By mds82 on 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer View Post
i bought a can of spray paint to paint my calipers, is there a way to open it up so i can use it like a brush, or is the can gonna explode in my face....

(i could get a friend to open it for me...)
return it and get the liquid paint. I dont think you can open a spray can.... You could always spray the paint into a cup and dip a brush into it. However the paint will dry fast in the cup.

just go buy the liquid paint.
By STL-G on 05-23-2007, 10:44 PM
I used gloss black spray paint to paint my calipers, used VHT spray paint (Very High Temperature for calipers, drums, etc, got it at Auto Zone). I have seen calipers brushed with color and usually there were streak marks or the paint was on way too thick. I just carefully masked off the areas not to be painted and did several light coats of spray. I did paint the backs of the brake pads, I noticed on this thread someone said do not paint the pads. I have had no ill effects with the backs of the pads painted and the calipers seen to look fuller. Just a light coat on the pad backs to blend to the calipers. It has been over a year and they are still nice and shiny, and as noted in the thread, they stay clean with the gloss paint.
By normtrum on 05-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL-G View Post
I used gloss black spray paint to paint my calipers, used VHT spray paint (Very High Temperature for calipers, drums, etc, got it at Auto Zone). I have seen calipers brushed with color and usually there were streak marks or the paint was on way too thick. I just carefully masked off the areas not to be painted and did several light coats of spray. I did paint the backs of the brake pads, I noticed on this thread someone said do not paint the pads. I have had no ill effects with the backs of the pads painted and the calipers seen to look fuller. Just a light coat on the pad backs to blend to the calipers. It has been over a year and they are still nice and shiny, and as noted in the thread, they stay clean with the gloss paint.
STL-G, do you have any pics that you could post? Sounds like you did a pretty good job if it's held up for a year. Thx.
By 335iheLLraiseR on 06-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
anybody know if painting the calipers voids ur warranty?

also, anybody know how to engrave a caliper...read something about in ggogle, somebody changed a caliper and put their name on it.....any ideas?
By llopez on 06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
hi, I have a silver grand prix and I want to paint my calipers as well....I saw what was said about painting silver and having problems...any suggestions on what color would look good?
By g9sBMW on 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Anybody have pics of painted calipers behind wheel?

Has anyone done this in Red/Yellow?

Can you post pictures with wheels on?

Comment