E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help - Car Stolen This Morning

11-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #23
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Friggin hell, really sorry to hear about this.

I know we all have insurance but it's not the point and the more cars that are stolen and the insurance companies have to pay out, then the more our premiums will go up - talk about victims twice over ffs!!!

I'm sorry but I will continue to take my keys upstairs with me. These scum are car thieves and are not wanting confrontation adding to the seriousness of the crime imo, they're after an easy 'steal'. Hence the police keep saying about taking keys upstairs, they're not house burglars, although if to hand they're obviously going to take something of interest given the time.

Would be interested to know why the Police thought your car might be heading upto Yorkshire?........... either way, I'll keep a look out if the docks are the intended port of call (excuse the pun).

Hope you get it sorted.
beemerbird is offline   England
      11-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
LeMans330d

Drives: BMW E92 330d M Sport

Tell me about it, im worried the amount the insurance company will pay out will be way short of where i need to be to replace the car, like-for-like!

He didnt specifically say Yorkshire, he mentioned Manchester and the Midlands. I just saw Paul was from Yorkshire which is much nearer to the areas he mentioned than where i am (Camberley way)

I was led to beleive that these cars often stayed with the UK, is this not the case? Do they ship them abroad?
      11-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
beemerbird
Major General

Garage List
Fully understand what you're saying about not getting enough of a payout to cover like-for-like..........just pisses me off so much and I really feel for you but that's not going to alter anything unfortunately.

See what you mean now. Paul's in York and I'm near Hull so both some distance from Manchester and the Midlands. From what I've been told the cars tend to stay in the UK and are stripped down for bits/cloning.

Being right hand drive there's only 72 countries would want them and alot of those 72 are poorer countries if you know what I mean. Also without decrying your car, it's not 'special' enough to ship abroad, neither is mine btw.
      11-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #26
creepy coupe
Major General

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
If they are stealing to order, then it's most likely destined for Cyprus and will be in a shipping container by now, Felixstowe and Hull are favourites
      11-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
It will either get shipped aBroad. Or its Being ringed over here. Or sold as parts.
      11-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #28
creepy coupe
Major General

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
It will either get shipped aBroad. Or its Being ringed over here. Or sold as parts.
Covers most probabilities.
      11-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
Hotcoupe
Major General

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Sorry to hear about the theft and it's scary how easy it was for them to gain access to your house.

It could just have been an opportunistic toerag who struck lucky in finding the car keys as opposed to a targetted theft of the car, nonetheless not a nice experience to go through.

Lets hope you get the right resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans330d View Post
Tell me about it, im worried the amount the insurance company will pay out will be way short of where i need to be to replace the car, like-for-like!
It might be wise to start getting evidence of the value of your car.
There is no doubt the value you place on your car will differ from that of your insurance company,so don't take the first offer.

Get some values for similar specced cars from the AUC website (generally at the higher end 's wise) and print them out,something in black and white will strengthen your case.

Good luck with it all.
Hotcoupe is offline   United Kingdom
      11-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #30
E92Fan

Drives: .

I take it the OP does not have a GAP Insurance policy ?
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
      11-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #31
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant

Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I'm sorry but I will continue to take my keys upstairs with me. These scum are car thieves and are not wanting confrontation adding to the seriousness of the crime imo, they're after an easy 'steal'.
Completely agree with this. I understand people's anxiety but I really cannot see Mr Car Thief holding you to ransom for the key. They want a quick in-and-out, leaving no evidence, and they most certainly do not want to be seen by the householder.

That said 100% sympathy with the OP. Anyone who says burglary isn't a very serious crime is talking rubbish. Having these scumbags in your house takes ages to get over.

Mike.
      11-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #32
zltm089
Major General

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
sorry to hear about this!....I hate it when I read stuff like this!!!....really frustrating!!!...

burglary is a serious crime....I say bring back torture or some form of physical punishment...like cutting one hand off or using a whip on those bastards!!!....

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
zltm089 is offline   United Kingdom
      11-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #33
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it

Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
sorry to hear about this!....I hate it when I read stuff like this!!!....really frustrating!!!...

burglary is a serious crime....I say bring back torture or some form of physical punishment...like cutting one hand off or using a whip on those bastards!!!....
Yeh agreed
      11-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Regarding the dog not barking. I have two labs..

Ive come in early hours like 1-2am and they dont even flinch.

Come in 4-5am they bark like hell. They may have been sound asleep.
      11-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #35
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Sorry to here your bad luck OP.

Thats just what it is, stolen to order is BS IMO. 9 out of 10 of these will end up burnt out in a B&Q somewhere by kids.

I had my 3 month old top spec golf VR6 taken with the keys in 2003, bit of confrontation then with the front foor being kicked off while we were in bed. They threatened to kill the missus too. Coppers then said its all kids, organised stuff is only a tiny %.

It was found being driven round by teenagers on false plates a few months later with foil / spoons and other smack stuff all over it. wrecked too.

Don't let it get to you too much mate.

6 years later I find a metal bat and a meat cleaver close by help with the sleepless nights.
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
      11-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #36
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....

Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
Completely agree with this. I understand people's anxiety but I really cannot see Mr Car Thief holding you to ransom for the key. They want a quick in-and-out, leaving no evidence, and they most certainly do not want to be seen by the householder.

Mike.
Don't necessarily agree with this - it all depends on what money rides on them geting that particular car. This crime was rife around the staffs area about a year ago and my sister (a copper) warned me to leave the keys around downstairs. Obviously not where they can be seen or reached from the door/letterbox but if the intruders are in, at least they can gain access to the vehicle without bothering occupants. Some of the thefts of the nicer cars had got a little nasty with people being threatened to hand the keys over.

Why take that risk?

If they have gone to the trouble of targetting your particular house, getting in through a locked door in order to steal the vehicle on the drive, are they really gonna be bothered if they have to give you a bit of a scare too?

At the end of the day, a car is a lump of metal that can be replaced. We are all insured. It will be replaced.

Loved ones may be insured. They can't be replaced.

To be honest other than being car jacked, it is my only fear of having the M3 parked outside. It has all gone quiet around our area......for the time being.
M3-FAST is offline   England
      11-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #37
SoYank
Major General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
If they took the keys to the car they probably took the keys to the house as well. Unless you know someone is going to be in the house awake 24/7 I'd suggest getting all of the locks changed. Might be a costly outlay but your homeowners insurance should pick it up. Whether the insurance does or not, I'd sleep a lot better if I did that.

BTW, sorry to hear of the theft. I'll look out for it up here. Nice looking car.
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
SoYank is offline   United_States
      11-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #38
beemerbird
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
This crime was rife around the staffs area about a year ago and my sister (a copper) warned me to leave the keys around downstairs. Obviously not where they can be seen or reached from the door/letterbox but if the intruders are in, at least they can gain access to the vehicle without bothering occupants. Some of the thefts of the nicer cars had got a little nasty with people being threatened to hand the keys over.
Think this is the important point Paul, don't leave your keys in view where they can be tempted, it's much more hassle to go looking for the keys as the longer they're in the house, the more chance of alerting the occupants. Our police are still saying take your keys upstairs as is in their experience they won't go looking and the houses that have been targeted are those where the keys were visible through a window/door etc.

Yes, some of the nicer cars I could possibly imagine they'd be prepared to challenge the occupants, but the reward would have to warrant the risk.

Quote:
If they have gone to the trouble of targetting your particular house, getting in through a locked door in order to steal the vehicle on the drive, are they really gonna be bothered if they have to give you a bit of a scare too?
I'm in no doubt they target various properties until they find 'easy pickings'. They have no idea how big or how numerous the occupants of the house are either. Element of surprise works both ways and the fuckers are not ruling my life so upstairs with the keys as per the norm.
      11-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #39
ed335d
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
That's really shitty - while I'd be very pissed that someone had stolen my car, but at least you, the Mrs (assuming you have one) and the dog are safe and unharmed. Someone broke into my house a while back, but luckily we disturbed them before they had the chance to nick anything. It's the invasion of you home that gets to you the most.

We were partly at fault for not double locking the door - these days I still get out of bed to make sure that I've fully locked it (and always have).

Keys always live upstairs - good luck to the fcukers if they get in.
      11-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #40
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....

Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
My keys live on one of the first few stairs at night. If they have managed to get in, they will prob get what they want. Leave em to it and let them take the car. Why risk getting injured or worse.

Yes, they are scum but not worth risking your life for!

As I said earlier, this happened when I was still living with my parents. They got the carving knife out of one of the kitchen drawers. I guess this was in case they got disturbed/confronted. As it was we heard nowt and they got away with a few bits and pieces and the car (which is what they wanted) - If the keys were not downstairs would they have gone looking? Who knows but I would rather not think of the consequences if one of us had heard something and played the hero.

They were caught a few days later trying to cash a cheque from a house they burgled around the corner. They were all crack-heads and needed the money for more drugs. Most serious theft based crime in the UK is fuelled by the demand for drugs.

If some crack head is in my house and wants my car - he can have it!

The lives of myself, my wife and 6 month old are more important!!
M3-FAST is offline   England
      11-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #41
beemerbird
Major General

Garage List
Paul, I think it's awful that you and any of your family have experienced this but it makes me think these car crimes and the way they're carried out may be area specific? Reason I think this is because Humberside Police publicly advised on BBC Look North the other week for people to keep their keys out of site and upstairs. I cannot imagine for one minute that they would publicly say this if they believed the public were in danger of being challenged by the thieves. Makes me think the incidents around my way are more organised and not drug related or at least not by those high on drugs at the time.

Facing facts, Hull has a big drug problem but for whatever reason they seem to stay within their own area of the City, knick off each other or their nearby neighbours.

It's all shite whichever you look at it and I don't wholly blame the police for their sometimes apparent lack of interest in car crime, they are working with limited resources half the time imo. But what will it take for more interest to be shown...........more than likely when a crime against the person is committed but I for one do not know the national statistics of this.
      11-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #42
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
BBC Look North
I used to love Look North.

Mike Neville was my hero

11-05-2009, 03:02 AM   #43
KadeSdad
Colonel

Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
If some crack head is in my house and wants my car - he can have it!

The lives of myself, my wife and 6 month old are more important!!
+1, 100%
      11-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #44
beemerbird
Major General

Garage List
This is all the sort of fear they rely upon. What are the actual statistics of recorded confrontation with this sort of crime. If the situation is so bad why is it not in the media more, after all they love a good juicy story.

I categorically refuse to live my life feeling and behaving like a victim when I have not been as far as this type of crime is concerned.

My life is just as important as the next persons as well.