E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help - Car Stolen This Morning

11-05-2009, 03:57 AM   #45
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Helen

I understand what Paul means & yourself, but by minimising the risk of any unwanted confrontation by, if you like, 'making it easier' for them then isn't that better for the anyone who is concerned?

I don't know if you have young children in the house or not, but imagine how something like this could affect them, or yourself /husband, if they were confrontational, it doesn't bare thinking about.

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
This is all the sort of fear they rely upon. What are the actual statistics of recorded confrontation with this sort of crime. If the situation is so bad why is it not in the media more, after all they love a good juicy story.

I categorically refuse to live my life feeling and behaving like a victim when I have not been as far as this type of crime is concerned.

My life is just as important as the next persons as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 04:37 AM   #46
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Marc, I understand fully what Paul and you mean and obviously Paul's experience is bound to make him think like that but my point is the instances in my area cannot have been committed by violent types per se otherwise the Police would not be publicly giving the advice of taking your keys upstairs. Maybe it's different in other areas of the country, I don't know, but have not read or seen anything in the media to this effect.

I don't want anyone taking my car full stop the thought of it makes me feel sick, and my biggest problem would be stopping my partner from confronting tbh. My idea of minimising the risk is by not having the keys visible to anyone, but then surely that's why we have curtains/blinds etc. to cover windows/doors. Make it as awkward and as time consuming for them as possible and they'll move on to easier pickings.

I just don't want anyone on here to be the 'easy pickings'.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #47
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Hi Helen,

Yes agree with making it difficult for them. I have probably gone too far with that as I have cctv, high spec security lighting, dead bolted doors (even internal doors get locked every night) External alarm & two internal alarm systems....... paranoid not me

Marc

Quote:
Marc, I understand fully what Paul and you mean and obviously Paul's experience is bound to make him think like that but my point is the instances in my area cannot have been committed by violent types per se otherwise the Police would not be publicly giving the advice of taking your keys upstairs. Maybe it's different in other areas of the country, I don't know, but have not read or seen anything in the media to this effect.

I don't want anyone taking my car full stop the thought of it makes me feel sick, and my biggest problem would be stopping my partner from confronting tbh. My idea of minimising the risk is by not having the keys visible to anyone, but then surely that's why we have curtains/blinds etc. to cover windows/doors. Make it as awkward and as time consuming for them as possible and they'll move on to easier pickings.

I just don't want anyone on here to be the 'easy pickings'.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #48
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
These creatures are predators plain and simple. Like all predators in the wild, they will pick on the weakest victims, never the strongest.

So, anything that makes their "job" harder or more risky is a good thing.

IMO, unless you are old, infirm, or ill, if someone comes into your house and is a threat to your family, your children, then a normal burglar will leg it because confrontation under those circumstances is a high risk for them as the householder, whether male or female is likely to be at their most dangerous (for the burglar) - it's human nature.

It would appear, only the drug crazed, or the supremely cocky and stupid, would take that risk. I hope it never happens to me, but if it does, I hope I will not be the one cowering in the corner.
      11-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #49
creepy coupe
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Breaking into our homes to steal car keys is a sign of the times, years ago we would have woken up and found the car missing from where we left it, nowadays with car security so good, they need the keys in most cases. If they ever develop biometric security to the point where itís factory fit, they will be dragging us out of our beds, or cutting our finger off
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #50
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E60 M5, E92 M3, E46 M3

Send a message via Skype™ to Imran@Evolve
Sorry to hear about this. As car security gets more and more sophisticated this is the only way cars can be stolen now.

Seems like it is happening more often these days.

My friends 996 GT2 was stolen from his driveway at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon about 6 months ago whilst his family were on their weekly scheduled shopping trip. Car had a tracker - the tracker was found about 3 miles away but the car wasn't!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #51
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est

Sorry to hear this.

Just one point.....personally, once its been knicked, I'm really not sure that I'd want any car back with who knows what damage internal/external/visible/invisible....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #52
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i

when the attempt was made on my car, the neighbour told me afterwards they looked about 18 year olds. once parked my car at the local gym and 2 youngsters were having a nice long look at the motor as they walked past. i hung around for a bit in the car till they went. a few months ago another neighbour of mine almost had his 3 series compact stolen, the car is about 10 yrs old so they got into the drivers door and started it, i was on the phone to the police straight away esp after what happened to me. these lot were like 12-13yrs and they almost drove the motor away until they got disturbed. a morjority of these crimes are done by youngsters ! if u are scared of confrontation why not deter these riff raff with visable deterents eg, bollards in the driveway, wheel clamp or steering wheel lock. like someone said earlier they only really wanna get in take the keys, prehaps laptop, and get the hell out of there.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #53
335DPOWER
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Soon to be a c63

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Just one point.....personally, once its been knicked, I'm really not sure that I'd want any car back with who knows what damage internal/external/visible/invisible....
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #54
bmw330dconv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E93 330D Convertible

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simples View Post
when the attempt was made on my car, the neighbour told me afterwards they looked about 18 year olds. once parked my car at the local gym and 2 youngsters were having a nice long look at the motor as they walked past. i hung around for a bit in the car till they went. a few months ago another neighbour of mine almost had his 3 series compact stolen, the car is about 10 yrs old so they got into the drivers door and started it, i was on the phone to the police straight away esp after what happened to me. these lot were like 12-13yrs and they almost drove the motor away until they got disturbed. a morjority of these crimes are done by youngsters ! if u are scared of confrontation why not deter these riff raff with visable deterents eg, bollards in the driveway, wheel clamp or steering wheel lock. like someone said earlier they only really wanna get in take the keys, prehaps laptop, and get the hell out of there.
I dont agree, a youngster will definitly not try to nick say a car like my E93 - the only ppl that will is organised crime members, there is no way a youth will nick it purely for a joy ride, it will be to ship to another country and make ££££ or to chop it up and sell it for parts...older cars are prob more attractive to a youngster to nick for a joy ride or to do robberies/burglaries in...just my opinion
      11-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #55
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330dconv View Post
I dont agree, a youngster will definitly not try to nick say a car like my E93 - the only ppl that will is organised crime members, there is no way a youth will nick it purely for a joy ride, it will be to ship to another country and make ££££ or to chop it up and sell it for parts...older cars are prob more attractive to a youngster to nick for a joy ride or to do robberies/burglaries in...just my opinion
thats wat i thought until the local burglary unit come round and this was confirmed by uniformed officers that these youngsters do the theiving then given prehaps a few hundred quid by the main organised culprits who 'employ' them, these older ones then either get the cars stripped or sent aboard if need be. the police also said it probably wont be for a joy ride @ 3am in the morning when they tried mine as it'll be too hot for them to drive around at that time.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #56
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Hi Helen,

Yes agree with making it difficult for them. I have probably gone too far with that as I have cctv, high spec security lighting, dead bolted doors (even internal doors get locked every night) External alarm & two internal alarm systems....... paranoid not me

Marc
OMG Marc Take it you believe the UK is spiralling out of control then!

They've got you running scared lol...........don't let them win, it's what they prey on.

Another quality post by Alan I note.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #57
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:

Another quality post by Alan I note.
I would not like to meet Alan in the middle of the night whilst trying to nick his car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #58
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I would not like to meet Alan in the middle of the night whilst trying to nick his car.
Lol, imagine all that hair and beard and that Glaswegian? accent bellowing out at you - excellent!

Always talks sense imo.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #59
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Baseball bat by side of bed FTW
      11-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #60
335DPOWER
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Soon to be a c63

fred now up on ss
more eyes the better!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #61
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Quote:
Lol, imagine all that hair and beard and that Glaswegian? accent bellowing out at you - excellent!

Always talks sense imo.
I'd be more scared of Alan starting to rant on about the state of banking today- the meal in the Chinese at Northern Meet 1 still scares me.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #62
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
I'd be more scared of Alan starting to rant on about the state of banking today- the meal in the Chinese at Northern Meet 1 still scares me.

Viv
He would make Gordon Ramsey blush, I remember you saying??!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #63
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330dconv View Post
I dont agree, a youngster will definitly not try to nick say a car like my E93 - the only ppl that will is organised crime members, there is no way a youth will nick it purely for a joy ride,
Just what i tried to kid myself with when my VR6 got nabbed,

Bentley or whatever, 90% sure it'll just be kids showing off to each other, "we robbed an M3, dumped it in the woods"..... vary rare for it to be some organised stuff.

they'll nick anything if you're daft enough to not properly lock your door and leave keys on the stairs / visible.

Since we got the aggravated burglary its made me MORE keen to actively defend the family and house.

Why don't you people have alarms that are ON when you are in bed? Not to alert the neighbours (who don't give a toss anyway) but to WAKE YOU UP when anyone gets in and let the intruders know that you are now awake. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #64
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
My keys are on the table, next to my bed...if they wana come and get it while i'm sleeping...up to them....

because I keep a hammer and have a collection of knives under my bed for "special" occassions like these...

let them try taking my 335i, and I'll be on the news for plastic surgery gone wrong....

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #65
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Baseball bat by side of bed FTW
plus 1....and a rocket launcher aswell

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #66
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
plus 1....and a rocket launcher aswell
i just need to blow a raspberry, there ain't no one coming into my bedroom to take the keys, ask the missus
Appreciate 0