E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Obama's Afghan Plan: About 40K More Troops

11-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
purespeed
Private First Class

Drives: 67 cobra

Obama's Afghan Plan: About 40K More Troops

CBS Exclusive: Sources Say Force Will Grow to 100,000 - Nearly Filling Gen. McChrystal's Request; Long-Term Stay Planned
By David Martin

(CBS) Tonight, after months of conferences with top advisors, President Obama has settled on a new strategy for Afghanistan. CBS News correspondent David Martin reports that the president will send a lot more troops and plans to keep a large force there, long term.

The president still has more meetings scheduled on Afghanistan, but informed sources tell CBS News he intends to give Gen. Stanley McChrystal most, if not all, the additional troops he is asking for.

McChrystal wanted 40,000 and the president has tentatively decided to send four combat brigades plus thousands more support troops. A senior officer says "that's close to what [McChrystal] asked for." All the president's military advisers have recommended sending more troops.

The first combat troops would not arrive until early next year and it would be the end of 2010 before they were all there. That makes this Afghanistan surge very different from the Iraq surge, in which 30,000 troops descended on Baghdad and the surrounding area in just five months.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...nt;cbsCarousel
      11-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
lkw15
Major

Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
2015 M3  [5.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [4.75]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
Glad to hear it.
lkw15 is offline   United_States
      11-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
MrRoboto
Colonel

Drives: VO 1M

Finally...put some more focus back on Afghanistan.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
      11-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
purespeed
Private First Class

Drives: 67 cobra

Not so fast Kemo Sabe

I was duped! (not my first time). It looks like the report stating that Obama was sending more troops to Afghanistan was a falsehood! I read it on the internet...doesn't that mean that it has to come true? Next thing you know, we'll hear there's no tooth fairy!

White House insists no decision made on Afghanistan strategy
November 10, 2009 2:09 p.m. EST

Washington (CNN) -- Asked about the president's pending decision on Afghan strategy, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, in a briefing Tuesday aboard Air Force One, mocked conflicting media reports.

"Anybody that tells you that the president has made a decision, or what was the artfully used term last night -- 'tentatively agreed to' -- doesn't have, in all honesty, the slightest idea what they are talking about. The president has yet to make a decision," he said.

Gibbs said he was asked Saturday about a story about approving 34,000 new troops, only "to be asked yesterday about the president approving nearly 40,000 troops. This all two weeks after being asked whether or not we were coalescing around an entirely different option."

The two senior administration officials have suggested that the information is being leaked by Pentagon sources who are trying to box in Obama by setting public expectations that he will send that many troops to Afghanistan, as reportedly requested by Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan.

Gibbs also said no decision has been made regarding how and when the president will announce his plans for the region.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/...iref=polticker
      11-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
EDK99
Captain

Drives: 07 E85 M

I guess he is waffling on this. WTF. I guess he is realizing he can't vote "Present" any more! LOL!
      11-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

mmmmmmm liberal news sources are fun aren't they.
      11-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 135i

Send a message via AIM to InsaneSkippy Send a message via MSN to InsaneSkippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
mmmmmmm liberal news sources are fun aren't they.
Ya! Almost as funny as the right..

11-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Drives: ///Mistress

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Ya! Almost as funny as the right..
Theres no comparison to the liberal media which hides and twists the story to suit the liberal agenda, and glenn beck who openly tells it like it is. No way you could ever convince me that fox news is as crazy as the propaganda touting left, lol.
Prowess Symphony is offline   United_States