E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > So I went With Mobil 1 5w40



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,626
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
So I went With Mobil 1 5w40

So what do you guys think?
I know that the 0w40 is BMW approved but the 5w40 has more wear properties in the oil and I believe it will be better on the track.

So what do you guys think?
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
Fritzables
Private First Class
 
Fritzables's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 323i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Posts: 132
iTrader: (0)

G'Day Mr5,

Yea, you'll be right - I run Royal Purple 5w30 and also have the oil lab tested at service time and all is good.
Fritzables is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Socom
Major General
 
Drives: 2010 335D
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,209
iTrader: (0)

I'm not going to comment on the wear properties because it's the wear properties of the oil which allows 0w-40 to meet BMW's extended service interval whereas the 5w-40 does not.

I can only assume that you're going to start changing at 5k-7,500 miles.
Socom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,626
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
I'm not going to comment on the wear properties because it's the wear properties of the oil which allows 0w-40 to meet BMW's extended service interval whereas the 5w-40 does not.

I can only assume that you're going to start changing at 5k-7,500 miles.
There are more wear properties in the turbo diesel 5w40 (which I'm using) than the 0w40. This is one of the reasons why I went with the oil.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Socom
Major General
 
Drives: 2010 335D
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
There are more wear properties in the turbo diesel 5w40 (which I'm using) than the 0w40. This is one of the reasons why I went with the oil.
Mobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30 meets BMW's LL-04 spec (used in the 335d) and is a higher spec oil for diesel (MB, VW) than your 5w-40 for heavy equipment. So why not use this instead of the 5w-40 for heavy equipment?

I'm thinking your 5w-40 might be too heavy (Rumors have always been that the LL01 0w-40 actually performs more like a 30w oil so it's not a valid comparison).

Time for a visit to bobstheoilguy.com.
Socom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
E92-Lighting
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
E92-Lighting's Avatar
 
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Walnut

Posts: 26,355
iTrader: (318)

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
i love mobil, try wal mart, they have 5L specials
__________________
E92-Lighting is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,626
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Mobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30 meets BMW's LL-04 spec (used in the 335d) and is a higher spec oil for diesel (MB, VW) than your 5w-40 for heavy equipment. So why not use this instead of the 5w-40 for heavy equipment?

I'm thinking your 5w-40 might be too heavy (Rumors have always been that the LL01 0w-40 actually performs more like a 30w oil so it's not a valid comparison).

Time for a visit to bobstheoilguy.com.
You're right. The turbo diesel 5w40 doesn't meet the LL01 spec but it makes me wonder why.
If you look at the wear properties in the turbodiesel 5w40 in this pdf.
The phosphorus and zinc is higher than the 0w40.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Mot...duct_Guide.pdf
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
FCP Euro
Lieutenant
 
FCP Euro's Avatar
 
Drives: Volvo 850 T5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Old Saybrook, CT

Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

As long as you change your oil every 7.5K or so, I don't see why you would have an issue running the 5w-40. I would really like to know what makes the 0w-40 pass BMW's test, but the 5w-40 does not.
__________________

sales@fcpeuro.com
FCP Euro - European Car Parts Specialists
FCP Euro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Socom
Major General
 
Drives: 2010 335D
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
As long as you change your oil every 7.5K or so, I don't see why you would have an issue running the 5w-40. I would really like to know what makes the 0w-40 pass BMW's test, but the 5w-40 does not.
Talking out of my ass I'm guessing that the ESP 5w-40 is too heavy whereas the 0w-40 really performs like a 30w. I'm also going to guess that the ESP 5w-30 is probably very similar to the ESP 5w-40 as far as meeting the requirements for diesel engines with DPF, but since BMW only run 30w in their non-m car's they only certified the 5w-30. LL-04 I think has more to do with being low ash than anything else. I'm going to sitdown and shut up now.

Last edited by Socom; 11-11-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Socom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
 
ToadHollow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Asti, Italy & Austin, Texas

Posts: 5,060
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzables View Post
G'Day Mr5,

Yea, you'll be right - I run Royal Purple 5w30 and also have the oil lab tested at service time and all is good.
+1.
0w40 & 5w30 RP for me ........... 7500K oil change intervals.
__________________



ToadHollow is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,626
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
I ran this oil at Laguna Seca and at Famoso Raceway so it's going to be interesting to see what the oil analysis indicates.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST