E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Throttle Body Adaptation Reset for AT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Fastdriverinca999
E90 FastDriver
2
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i w/sport pack
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: california

iTrader: (0)

Throttle Body Adaptation Reset for AT

This was posted at Bimmerfest. Does anyone know if this is accurate information, and if so, what are the benefits/disadvantages of performing this reset?



DDoone

Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the Automatic Transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time the ECU in the trans learns your driving style and that is what it keeps in memory. The throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts and personalizes to your particular driving style. However, there is a way to set the ECU back to factory default. I have done this with my 07 328 and it works fine. I've done this with several Mercedes. The only difference with a push button to start/stop engine system is that you must use the start button instead of turning the key to it's first position and again to simulate the off position.
DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY DURING THIS PROCEDURE
Here it is; How to do a TBA: Throttle Body Adaptation reset.
Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the transmission.

Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
jopa489's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
6,561
Posts

 
Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (8)

It is accurate, and does work. If you want to reset what the car knows about your driving style, do it. Not really much more to say.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Prowess Symphony
Major General
Prowess Symphony's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,860
Posts

 
Drives: ///Mistress
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WV

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
I heard this doesnt work on the newer models?! And wont this reset the jb3 too?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
boxter
Private First Class
boxter's Avatar
Germany
2
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 335i E92
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Hi!

Thanks for the info. It works on e92 too.

Do you know exactly how many adaptions are there? This adaptation only resets the values of throttle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriverinca999 View Post
This was posted at Bimmerfest. Does anyone know if this is accurate information, and if so, what are the benefits/disadvantages of performing this reset?



DDoone

Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the Automatic Transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time the ECU in the trans learns your driving style and that is what it keeps in memory. The throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts and personalizes to your particular driving style. However, there is a way to set the ECU back to factory default. I have done this with my 07 328 and it works fine. I've done this with several Mercedes. The only difference with a push button to start/stop engine system is that you must use the start button instead of turning the key to it's first position and again to simulate the off position.
DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY DURING THIS PROCEDURE
Here it is; How to do a TBA: Throttle Body Adaptation reset.
Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the transmission.

Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button – foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.

Last edited by boxter; 07-06-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Johndong888
John
Johndong888's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
792
Posts

 
Drives: '12 AW/FR M3 & '14 F15 X5
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via Skype™ to Johndong888
Wasn't this debunked a while back? Please do correct me if I am wrong. Of course not questioning your credibility, OP, I just read something about this a while back
__________________

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 - DCT w EDC, ZPP w Tech, Apps, Enhanced Sound, SAT.
Mods - BPMTune Stg1 + Servo, Piano Black, Euro Visors, OEM Performance CF Spoiler + Grills + Pedals, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, Umnitza V4, ModeCarbon GTS V1 Lip, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i - Step, Premium, Sports, Logic7, Comfort, Navi, SAT, Alum.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Ron1n
Speed Demon
Ron1n's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
3,248
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335d E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The 858

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
I've done it a couple of times on my 07, so in my personal experience, it works.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
boxter
Private First Class
boxter's Avatar
Germany
2
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 335i E92
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
I've done it a couple of times on my 07, so in my personal experience, it works.
+10000000
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
jj970
Private First Class
1
Rep
141
Posts

 
Drives: Black F30 N20
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
So, on my CPO, is this going to change the throttle response? I have a 2007 335 coupe and if I press lightly on the gas, it goes super slow...just a bit more pressure and my passenger's head gets tossed back...
Is this typical for my model or something the throttle learned from previous drivers?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
Magic Man
Private First Class
Magic Man's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post
So, on my CPO, is this going to change the throttle response? I have a 2007 335 coupe and if I press lightly on the gas, it goes super slow...just a bit more pressure and my passenger's head gets tossed back...
Is this typical for my model or something the throttle learned from previous drivers?

Thanks.
I have a 2007 335i as well and have had the same problem. There should be a software fix for it. Go to your dealer and complain and have them reprogram the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Magic Man
Private First Class
Magic Man's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

iTrader: (0)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriverinca999 View Post
1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.
I'm confused by item number 4... "BMW: foot off brake press start button"...

The instructions never tell you to put your foot ON the brake. Is that just reminding you to keep your foot of the brake? That is, NEVER throughout this whole procedure do you EVER put your foot on the brake????
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
Ron1n
Speed Demon
Ron1n's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
3,248
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335d E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The 858

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
Yes, otherwise the car will start, and the reset will not take place. Do not, during any part of the reset, place your foot on the brake (until you're ready to start the car).
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Magic Man
Private First Class
Magic Man's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

iTrader: (0)

So, to sumarize as simply as possible for BMWs:

1. Never touch the break pedal & key remains inserted the entire time
2. Insert key and push START Button
3. Press and HOLD gas pedal for 5 seconds
4. WITHOUT RELEASING THE GAS PEDAL, push the START Button
5. Release gas pedal
6. Wait full 2 minutes
7. Start car normally

I've tried to make this as clear as possible for BMW owners...

Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
Prowess Symphony
Major General
Prowess Symphony's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,860
Posts

 
Drives: ///Mistress
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WV

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Then for jb3 owners, I assume you have to reset the jb3 map, cause that is gonna put the map to 0.

And I heard in another thread that this not only doesnt work anymore but also causes problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
Ron1n
Speed Demon
Ron1n's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
3,248
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335d E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The 858

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
Hrmm....no.

****Stay away from your break pedal!****
1. Insert fob into slot (if you have a key, turn it 2 clicks to the right)
2. Press Start/Stop Engine button
3. Depress gas pedal all the way down for ~30s (if you listen, you will hear adjustments)
4. Release gas pedal.
5. Wait about 30 seconds
6. Start car

Enjoy your freshly reset AT and notice how perky it is.

Other threads with instructions:

http://forums.5series.net/index.php?showtopic=40018
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=411543

The method I typed above is what I did.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
zeeman335
Lieutenant
zeeman335's Avatar
13
Rep
507
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (2)

Why would u want to reset this though? That means i would have to do all that hardass driving in order for the car to learn my driving style. I dont wanna start off in granny mode, then kicking it into a 18yr old raver on E...

What may be the advantages of doing this?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #16
vtec96
Second Lieutenant
vtec96's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
282
Posts

 
Drives: E89
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

reseting the adaptation is really good after all the slow driving condition during winter..
I use my BT cable to reset
__________________
CURRENT: 2009 E89 35i
Dinan Stage 2
PAST: 2008 E92 335xi
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #17
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
Marcumac's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,526
Posts

 
Drives: M Roadster
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Marcumac
__________________

ZSP|ZPP|ZCW|PDC|19x9.5/10.5 Varrstoen ES 1.1.2|OEM Blacklines|LUX 5.1|Rear Euro fogs|Muffler delete|ECS kidneys|Gunsmoke Ambergones|Tinted JLevi sidemarkers|30% Llumar ATX|Corner Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
Prowess Symphony
Major General
Prowess Symphony's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,860
Posts

 
Drives: ///Mistress
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WV

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec96 View Post
reseting the adaptation is really good after all the slow driving condition during winter..
I use my BT cable to reset
I demand that you tell me how to do that! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
Gumgardner
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
So, to sumarize as simply as possible for BMWs:

1. Never touch the break pedal & key remains inserted the entire time
2. Insert key and push START Button
3. Press and HOLD gas pedal for 5 seconds
4. WITHOUT RELEASING THE GAS PEDAL, push the START Button
5. Release gas pedal
6. Wait full 2 minutes
7. Start car normally

I've tried to make this as clear as possible for BMW owners...

Is this correct?

This worked for me
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #20
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I heard this doesnt work on the newer models?! And wont this reset the jb3 too?
Thats right, it doesnt. The only way to do a full adaptions re-set is through the ECU programming menu, BT tool, GT1 etc.

Does work on 'older' trannys though.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
shoes
Captain
shoes's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
635
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (1)

How is the throttle response after this is done?
What will the "difference" feel like?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #22
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Like a virgin tranny! lol
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST