E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > micro filter change interval



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
JayD
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: upper mid-west

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

micro filter change interval

How often should the cabin charcol microfilter be replaced. The one that is in the engine compartment on a 335i
JayD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
rambalu80
Captain
 
rambalu80's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lake Jackson TX

Posts: 987
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
How often should the cabin charcol microfilter be replaced. The one that is in the engine compartment on a 335i
I remember reading somewhere that it is every other oil change but I may be wrong because I've had four oil changes so far an no microfilter change yet.
__________________
Alpine White/Terra | 6MT | Navi | Premium Package | OEM Chrome Tips | HO C30 Tint | OEM Aluminum Pedals | Rear Fogs Enabled | 17" OEM Style 159 Wheels | Hella Whitelines | USDM Bi-xenons w/ 4300k D1S HID Bulbs

rambalu80 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,624
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that it is every other oil change but I may be wrong because I've had four oil changes so far an no microfilter change yet.
No, the dealers are clueless sometimes. The first oil change I had done, the SA said that they changed the filter. I asked him...What filter is this and he said that it was the microfilter. It wasn't. The filter they were talking about was the oil filter.

I changed my microfilter after 50k miles.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Prowess Symphony
Major General
 
Prowess Symphony's Avatar
 
Drives: ///Mistress
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WV

Posts: 5,857
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
No, the dealers are clueless sometimes. The first oil change I had done, the SA said that they changed the filter. I asked him...What filter is this and he said that it was the microfilter. It wasn't. The filter they were talking about was the oil filter.

I changed my microfilter after 50k miles.
How can a service advisor confuse the oil filter and microfilter? That man should NOT be allowed near cars.

Im pretty sure that the microfilter should only be changed after many many miles, like Mr. 5 said. Isnt it in the manual?
Prowess Symphony is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
dassub
Captain
 
dassub's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i 6MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 726
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
My car is now at 70,000km (43,000 miles). I'm thinking it's about time I change mine. Is it better to wait for the summer time? Or should I just change it soon with winter and snow approaching.. or, maybe it just doesn't matter.
dassub is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
mtechnik3
Colonel
 
mtechnik3's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester Hills, MI

Posts: 2,343
iTrader: (21)

I believe BMW recommends changing these cabin filters every 15,000 mi (down from 30,000 mi originally). A lot will depends on where you live, and drive. I asked my SA to have the tech change mine at 15,000 and they were pretty cool about it.
__________________

2013 335i M Sport | Alpine White
mtechnik3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
wasup1357
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 385
iTrader: (9)

i thought when its time to change the computer will tell you?
wasup1357 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
JayD
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: upper mid-west

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

The microfilter is a condition based service per the local dealer, no set time or milage interval. I bought one and changed it anyway at 12k but I have severe allergies and it did help some by changing it in my Acura.
JayD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
FCP Euro
Lieutenant
 
FCP Euro's Avatar
 
Drives: Volvo 850 T5
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Old Saybrook, CT

Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

I normally change it once a year, same time I do the one in my house.
__________________

sales@fcpeuro.com
FCP Euro - European Car Parts Specialists
FCP Euro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
wasup1357
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 385
iTrader: (9)

yea i had to change it very oftenly when i had my TL and it was very dirty everytime i chagne it but with the 3 even when the computer bitches about it the filter is not very dirty
wasup1357 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Ryan323i
Captain
 
Ryan323i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
I normally change it once a year, same time I do the one in my house.
Just change it once a year. It cleans the air you breathe in the car and it's only 30 bucks!
__________________
2006 330i | TiAg/Black Leather | Steptronic | Premium Package | Cold Weather Package | iPod Interface Adapter | Clear Bra | Window Tint (35%)
Ryan323i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
AlanAZ
Captain
 
AlanAZ's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i sport manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 793
iTrader: (4)

I checked mine after 10K miles, wasn't dirty, I'll change it in another 10, so 20K miles total.
AlanAZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
rambalu80
Captain
 
rambalu80's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lake Jackson TX

Posts: 987
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasup1357 View Post
i thought when its time to change the computer will tell you?
The computer will tell you if your software hasn't been updated. If you have the updated software, you will not see the microfilter and spark plug service info or screens if you have the iDrive.
__________________
Alpine White/Terra | 6MT | Navi | Premium Package | OEM Chrome Tips | HO C30 Tint | OEM Aluminum Pedals | Rear Fogs Enabled | 17" OEM Style 159 Wheels | Hella Whitelines | USDM Bi-xenons w/ 4300k D1S HID Bulbs

rambalu80 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
mds82
Major General
 
mds82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Central Connecticut

Posts: 5,837
iTrader: (40)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mds82 Send a message via Yahoo to mds82
i'm due for a change at 60,000 miles

I'm not sure how to reset the car's system to tell it that is has been changed. does anyone know how to do that>?
__________________

19" Breyton Race GTS Matt Grey, Eisenmann 4x70 Exhaust with SR Pipes. Vorsteiner Hood, Bilstein Shocks, CFEverywhere, mtec rear,
Carbon Fiber Headlights
mds82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
Ryan323i
Captain
 
Ryan323i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
i'm due for a change at 60,000 miles

I'm not sure how to reset the car's system to tell it that is has been changed. does anyone know how to do that>?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51049
__________________
2006 330i | TiAg/Black Leather | Steptronic | Premium Package | Cold Weather Package | iPod Interface Adapter | Clear Bra | Window Tint (35%)
Ryan323i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #16
jzchen
Captain
 
Drives: 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arcadia, CA

Posts: 633
iTrader: (0)

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I could not find anything that says exactly when to change this filter. In one part of the Service/Warranty booklet it says it is based on the CBS, but somewhere else it says the CBS doesn't tell when to change it. I also couldn't find any specifics in the Bentley Manual, although I didn't look thoroughly through it.
jzchen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
ENINTY
Banned
 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

Posts: 3,415
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I could not find anything that says exactly when to change this filter. In one part of the Service/Warranty booklet it says it is based on the CBS, but somewhere else it says the CBS doesn't tell when to change it. I also couldn't find any specifics in the Bentley Manual, although I didn't look thoroughly through it.
So when you read through this thread people are talking about both the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. Both are charcoal filters in some respects, so there may be some confusion. In an effort to clarify:

The Engine air filter has a replacable element and a non replacable charcoal filter (built into the air intake box). The engine air filter element has a scheduled replacement every 3rd oil change (on the BMW CBS schedule of approximately 15,000 miles) so about every 45,000 to 50,000 miles.

The Cabin air filter is a replaceable charcoal air filter element and is located under the hood on the cowling between the wiper arms (not actually in the "engine compartment"). The schedule for replacement of the cabin air filter is determined by the CBS. There is a notification icon in the CBS that has a box with dots in it with a fan blade symbol above it. The symbol is in the owners manual in the section on controls (around page 40 I think).
ENINTY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
jzchen
Captain
 
Drives: 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arcadia, CA

Posts: 633
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
So when you read through this thread people are talking about both the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. Both are charcoal filters in some respects, so there may be some confusion. In an effort to clarify:

The Engine air filter has a replacable element and a non replacable charcoal filter (built into the air intake box). The engine air filter element has a scheduled replacement every 3rd oil change (on the BMW CBS schedule of approximately 15,000 miles) so about every 45,000 to 50,000 miles.

The Cabin air filter is a replaceable charcoal air filter element and is located under the hood on the cowling between the wiper arms (not actually in the "engine compartment"). The schedule for replacement of the cabin air filter is determined by the CBS. There is a notification icon in the CBS that has a box with dots in it with a fan blade symbol above it. The symbol is in the owners manual in the section on controls (around page 40 I think).
I'm afraid the CBS does not indicate when to change the microfilter as of 2008. I can not find this symbol you talk about anywhere in the Manual or the Service and Warranty books. I'm afraid I equated under hood as engine compartment. But anyways, somehow this CBS feature seems to have been deleted, and an interval was not specified. My wife's car had a bad odor, it turned out to be a cup of soy milk left in the armrest compartment, but I replaced the microfilter and it looked pretty darn dirty. She has about 38k or 39k miles.
jzchen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
 
Drives: '07 E93 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
I'm afraid the CBS does not indicate when to change the microfilter as of 2008. I can not find this symbol you talk about anywhere in the Manual or the Service and Warranty books. I'm afraid I equated under hood as engine compartment. But anyways, somehow this CBS feature seems to have been deleted, and an interval was not specified. My wife's car had a bad odor, it turned out to be a cup of soy milk left in the armrest compartment, but I replaced the microfilter and it looked pretty darn dirty. She has about 38k or 39k miles.
Your not alone, my 07 E93 has never shown the cabin microfilter indication. I don't know if the indication is dependent upon E9x model, engine type, year, and/or iDrive equipped. My service and warranty booklet mentions the microfilter but doesn't list a replacement interval for it. So, I change it out once a year.
__________________
-Brian
~199K miles. I -still- don't fear my 335i.
Bcube is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
ENINTY
Banned
 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

Posts: 3,415
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
I'm afraid the CBS does not indicate when to change the microfilter as of 2008. I can not find this symbol you talk about anywhere in the Manual or the Service and Warranty books. I'm afraid I equated under hood as engine compartment. But anyways, somehow this CBS feature seems to have been deleted, and an interval was not specified. My wife's car had a bad odor, it turned out to be a cup of soy milk left in the armrest compartment, but I replaced the microfilter and it looked pretty darn dirty. She has about 38k or 39k miles.
I have a work colleague who owns a E90 LCI. I'll check with him to see if his car has the message symbol. I can’t see why BMW would remove the cabin air filter maintenance notification from the CBS AND then not include a mileage or time interval in the owner’s manual to follow, but alas I checked the 2009 manual on line and it is not in the CBS anymore. Anyway, my car has had 3 filters replaced in 158,000 miles. I'm on my 4th filter as of 158,000 miles, at the end of October 2011, so just over 53,000 miles for each filter. The new filters are charcoal loaded so they look kind of dirty even when new.
ENINTY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Blubaron79's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 435 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

Posts: 1,799
iTrader: (0)

bringing this thread back. I am ordering one now. It says order with ATC, or w/o ATC. What is ATC???
__________________
'14 435 XDrive: Mineral Grey, MSport, 19's, Coral Leather, Alum. Trim, Every option (except Active Cruise), MPPK, black grille, clear bra.
Blubaron79 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #22
PA66400
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

I do not think it is CBS in the newer years of the E90. My 2008 orginally had the icon for cabin filter change. This, and other CBS icons disappeared when my software was updated, during replacement of a failed CCC (iDrive and Nav computer).
PA66400 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST