E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > check these LED sidelights out.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Tunna_uk
Captain
 
Tunna_uk's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Teesside UK

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
check these LED sidelights out.

Got these off ebay, listing said they are error free, but guess what..they trip the bulb failure warning.


But going to keep them because they are the brightest LED I have ever bought. They are really bright, look great. So next job is to get some of them resistors from maplin. Can't go back to those crappy side lights now.
Tunna_uk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
 
Walesy's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 966
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunna_uk View Post
Got these off ebay, listing said they are error free, but guess what..they trip the bulb failure warning.


But going to keep them because they are the brightest LED I have ever bought. They are really bright, look great. So next job is to get some of them resistors from maplin. Can't go back to those crappy side lights now.
Fook me they are bright! how many beer tokens did you part with for them??
__________________
F30 320D Sport
Walesy is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Tunna_uk
Captain
 
Tunna_uk's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Teesside UK

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I know they really are very bright, they are a bit like the door handle LED's, but about twice the size and there is four LED in each bulb, two on each side.
Cost was 13.99 delivered for the pair, but I have asked for some money back because they are not error free as the listing said.
Lets see what happens. Defo keeping them in.
Tunna_uk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it
 
SiKkBaSs's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kent

Posts: 4,404
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Fook me. They look good. With the error is there that nasty ding sound every time you start the car up mate? Or does it just go away? I changed a high beam light on mine a while back...was a pain in the ass.

Something I've never really understood. Pissed off I've got standard Kiplings so what options are open to me. I don't want to do a whole new kit fit. You still got the normal halogens on the full beam? Also is it legal to do what you've done regarding the MOT...?
__________________
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Tunna_uk
Captain
 
Tunna_uk's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Teesside UK

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
to be honest, at MOT time it should be OK, its only a sidelight after all, and its white. Anyways my mate has his own garage.......

Yeah I would love to have Halos. Only option really is to save up for the LCI Halogen Swap Kit

As for the bulbs, I have just bought some of those Philips extreme power 80% brighter ones for both the low and high beam.

Yes at the moment I get the warning noise and the blown bulb symbol on dash for about 5 seconds, then it stays off untill I next start the car....hoping to solve that with the resister mod.
Will keep you posted how it goes
Tunna_uk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it
 
SiKkBaSs's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kent

Posts: 4,404
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunna_uk View Post
to be honest, at MOT time it should be OK, its only a sidelight after all, and its white. Anyways my mate has his own garage.......

Yeah I would love to have Halos. Only option really is to save up for the LCI Halogen Swap Kit

As for the bulbs, I have just bought some of those Philips extreme power 80% brighter ones for both the low and high beam.

Yes at the moment I get the warning noise and the blown bulb symbol on dash for about 5 seconds, then it stays off untill I next start the car....hoping to solve that with the resister mod.
Will keep you posted how it goes
How was installation?
__________________
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Tunna_uk
Captain
 
Tunna_uk's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Teesside UK

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
the sidelights are easy, hardest part is getting the ...king cover back over the high beam opening...
Changed the headlamp bulbs today, fairly easy through the wheel arch trap door.
Tunna_uk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Googlyamnesiac
Lieutenant
 
Googlyamnesiac's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 473
iTrader: (1)

Can you confirm, this is the pre LCS e90 with standard halogensn to start with?

Any chance you could upload a daytime picture? I often drive around with my sidelights on during the day (drives the gf mad), would it annoy other drivers?

Know if there is a tutorial on changing these sidelights?

Be interested to see if you have an update on the resistor...

can't afford the lci halo lights at the moment!
Googlyamnesiac is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Tunna_uk
Captain
 
Tunna_uk's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Teesside UK

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
no more news yet, or pictures, will post as soon as I can/
Tunna_uk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it
 
SiKkBaSs's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kent

Posts: 4,404
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlerobbo View Post
Can you confirm, this is the pre LCS e90 with standard halogensn to start with?

Any chance you could upload a daytime picture? I often drive around with my sidelights on during the day (drives the gf mad), would it annoy other drivers?

Know if there is a tutorial on changing these sidelights?

Be interested to see if you have an update on the resistor...

can't afford the lci halo lights at the moment!
This echoes everything to do with me also. Yes this is for pre LCI E90 with the standard halogens. Seems like a wicked mod, cheap as chips too, for those of us who can't afford them angels!! If this works it's gonna be as popular as the black grille/blackline "groove". Good luck Tunna. Do it for the non-angel crew boys!

In for writeup and pics.
__________________
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
marcm
Second Lieutenant
 
marcm's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325d
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 283
iTrader: (1)

If you want to cancel the bulb failure certain way to do it is with these
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-led...eds-p-403.html
used them on the wifes car for led sidelights and no errors, plug and play. skimples
marcm is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it
 
SiKkBaSs's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kent

Posts: 4,404
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
If you want to cancel the bulb failure certain way to do it is with these
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-led...eds-p-403.html
used them on the wifes car for led sidelights and no errors, plug and play. skimples


Can I just ask something again. I see so many cars with these white bright as fcuk lights that are Xenon at night and I KNOW they have no front light washers so is what they are doing legal or illegal? This is a grey area for me so can someone find me the necessary literature or give me an explanation as to what is legal and what is not. Is it sort of like having irregular spacing on a number plate in terms of leniency from the law?? I want this upgrade quite bad seeing as though Tunna may have cracked it, but obviously am worried about getting penalised for it.

I see cars over 10 years old with these high powered lights!
__________________
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
marcm
Second Lieutenant
 
marcm's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325d
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 283
iTrader: (1)

The requirement for washers is with the headlight bulbs (dipped and full beam) not sidelights. look at the audis without xenons but with the strip of bleedin bright leds and they dont have washers.
marcm is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it
 
SiKkBaSs's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kent

Posts: 4,404
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
The requirement for washers is with the headlight bulbs (dipped and full beam) not sidelights. look at the audis without xenons but with the strip of bleedin bright leds and they dont have washers.
So putting in these sidelights is safe right? Look a bit shiet with the regular halogens alongside these will it not? You could just go around with sidelights on all the time based on the pic above being bright as fook!

Could replace these shiet stock halogens with the high power Philips stuff right?
__________________
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #15
marcm
Second Lieutenant
 
marcm's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325d
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 283
iTrader: (1)

You can replace the halogens with blue tinted halogens to make sure they are more white. Just make sure you get the legal wattage bulbs (the ones that aren't sold for show use). I had a c0ck behind be the other night with ultra bright bulbs, really annoying.
marcm is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #16
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it
 
SiKkBaSs's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kent

Posts: 4,404
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
You can replace the halogens with blue tinted halogens to make sure they are more white. Just make sure you get the legal wattage bulbs (the ones that aren't sold for show use). I had a c0ck behind be the other night with ultra bright bulbs, really annoying.
Are these the best ones on the site? Or can you find something better? I can spend up to 100 on these since I detest the halogens so much!

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=94

So I could replace my headlights with these and for sidelights use the ones Tunna has with the resistor??
__________________
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
Tunna_uk
Captain
 
Tunna_uk's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Teesside UK

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
UPDATE

Have just put 100W H7 in the main beam . What a difference. BUT be warned, they are really fiddly to get out even worse than the low beam bulbs.

Still no further forward with resistors, hoping to have them fitted soon.

Sickbass, just to let you know, those LED sidelight are no where near as bright as the AUDI type ones in the daylight. Only look good when it starts to go dark.

So still my goal is eventually to get some sort of Halos
Tunna_uk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #18
SiKkBaSs
325i'in it
 
SiKkBaSs's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kent

Posts: 4,404
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunna_uk View Post
UPDATE

Have just put 100W H7 in the main beam . What a difference. BUT be warned, they are really fiddly to get out even worse than the low beam bulbs.

Still no further forward with resistors, hoping to have them fitted soon.

Sickbass, just to let you know, those LED sidelight are no where near as bright as the AUDI type ones in the daylight. Only look good when it starts to go dark.

So still my goal is eventually to get some sort of Halos
Do those sidelights have a tint of blue in them? Or are they sole white...seems blue in pic.
__________________
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
Tunna_uk
Captain
 
Tunna_uk's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Teesside UK

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
They are white, it must be the camera
Tunna_uk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #20
marcm
Second Lieutenant
 
marcm's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325d
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 283
iTrader: (1)

You might get your wrists slapped with the 100W bulbs. They should have been sold 'for show use only'. Not legal for use on the road.
marcm is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #21
Tunna_uk
Captain
 
Tunna_uk's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Teesside UK

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
You might get your wrists slapped with the 100W bulbs. They should have been sold 'for show use only'. Not legal for use on the road.
No one will know
Tunna_uk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
E92Fan
Moderator
 
E92Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

Posts: 5,492
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunna_uk View Post
No one will know
Also be careful that those 100W bulbs don't get so hot that they start damaging the internals of the headlight cluster... or they draw too much current for the wiring...!!!
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST