E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > OEM Amp connector on E9X with Hifi audio system



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdiprete View Post
nice one. If I had a time machine I would not have had to cut mine off
I've been working on this on and off since 2004... the cost of plastic injection molding for a connector like this is about the price of a new Hyundai Accent.

No joke.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #24
Quasimodem
Colonel
 
Quasimodem's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

Posts: 2,227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I've been working on this on and off since 2004... the cost of plastic injection molding for a connector like this is about the price of a new Hyundai Accent.

No joke.
With NAV?
Quasimodem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #25
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
 
fdiprete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

Posts: 339
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I've been working on this on and off since 2004... the cost of plastic injection molding for a connector like this is about the price of a new Hyundai Accent.

No joke.
amen brother.

I took the connector apart to reveal the 2 smaller connectors inside the housing. They have 2 pin sizes in them. Some of the mating connectors for each of the 2 are available from newark electronics but the hard part is figuring out which ones you need. The actual connectors used are OEM only and not available through normal sales.

My idea was to get the connectors - probably 4 total, 2 of each type - if I could find them, then make a mold and poured resin connector rather than using injection molding. I've made molds and parts using smooth-on products as a hobbyist.

I envisioned taking the external locking housing off the harness, plug the 2 connectors into the fabricated mating connector, and store the lock housing to revert.

In the end I cut the thing off because my car is not a lease and I'm going to drive for 100K miles. By then the car won't be worth anything at resale anyway.
fdiprete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #26
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,479
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
i bought a used E46 amp on ebay (not the HK)
that uses the same connector
ripped the amp apart and i am soldering wires to the back of the plug
so when done i will just plug the OEM plug into my E46 plug and i'm good to go
have to just add power and ground as the OEM ones are way to thing
kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
mathematics
Captain
 
mathematics's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 628
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Or, don't do anything this guy says and put him on "ignore". The disadvantages of using LOCs for HiFi full-range upgrades have been discussed on this board ad infinitum.
is there a diagram for the harness of the amp connector for the e92/93 ? i want to tap the signal from the source and connect with Symbilink.
__________________
iPhone 5s (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay to Tru Technology SSLD6i via aux out of Airport Express to Helix A4S Competition. Dynaudio MD102, Esotar 1200, and MW152. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
mathematics is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #28
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
 
fdiprete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

Posts: 339
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
maybe this one?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949
fdiprete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #29
DeFKnoL
Private
 
Drives: 2010 335 i X-Drive (E90)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

In the past, I have soldered the tips of the wires I was going to use to shape them and to make them stiff. Then I would push them into the plug. As long as you got the size and shape of the soldered tip right, each wire would fit snugly without damaging the female ends. Then I would tape it all up really well so that nothing moves.

A harness is definately preferrable to this method. If there is a harness available as Technic has mentioned, I would certainly get it as long as the price was right.
DeFKnoL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFKnoL View Post
In the past, I have soldered the tips of the wires I was going to use to shape them and to make them stiff. Then I would push them into the plug. As long as you got the size and shape of the soldered tip right, each wire would fit snugly without damaging the female ends. Then I would tape it all up really well so that nothing moves.

A harness is definately preferrable to this method. If there is a harness available as Technic has mentioned, I would certainly get it as long as the price was right.
The price will be...



... a million dollars!!!!!
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #31
zivyn
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: for enjoyment
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West coast transplant

Posts: 339
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The price will be...

...

... a million dollars!!!!!
yes, but will it be ready before I get those sharks with friggin' laser beams?

(lol, ok seriously, any word on your progress?)
zivyn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #32
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
yes, but will it be ready before I get those sharks with friggin' laser beams?

(lol, ok seriously, any word on your progress?)
So far it looks like I should have all the parts ready to go this month, after a Holidays delay, especially the final physical version in ABS plastic of the connector.

Last edited by Technic; 01-09-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #33
nemith
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 208
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
So far it looks like I should have all the parts ready to go this month, after a Holidays delay, especially the final physical version in ABS plastic of this
I will then delay my project by one month
nemith is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #34
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,479
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
So far it looks like I should have all the parts ready to go this month, after a Holidays delay, especially the final physical version in ABS plastic of this:

roughly speaking
are we talking $50?
$100?
over $100?
kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #35
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
roughly speaking
are we talking $50?
$100?
over $100?
It will be priced to sell so I can pay my investment costs...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #36
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,479
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It will be priced to sell so I can pay my investment costs...
well if its around the $50 mark count me in
group buy potential list:
1.kmarei
2.



kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #37
JohnnyCanuck
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Well, I'd definitely be in to the "group buy", but not going to say my commitment is limited to $50. I'll pay what's reasonable for Technic to recoup his costs and if it's more than $50 ... so be it.
JohnnyCanuck is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #38
DeFKnoL
Private
 
Drives: 2010 335 i X-Drive (E90)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Are there separate plugs for the input and output of the stock amp?

I'm hoping that this harness includes both the input and output plugs so that I can easily swap my aftermarket amp with the stock one. Is that how it is going to be?

I haven't taken a look under the panel yet, so I'm not sure what it's gonna look like soe forgive me if it's a stupid question.
DeFKnoL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #39
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFKnoL View Post
Are there separate plugs for the input and output of the stock amp?

I'm hoping that this harness includes both the input and output plugs so that I can easily swap my aftermarket amp with the stock one. Is that how it is going to be?

I haven't taken a look under the panel yet, so I'm not sure what it's gonna look like soe forgive me if it's a stupid question.
The basic harness will have:

- 4 female RCA outputs (5V balanced signals from the OEM HU/iDrive)
- individually wired inputs to the front/rear/underseat woofers, with matching OEM wire colors and printed labels for quick identification
- OEM 12V remote turn on signal thru relay for voltage compatibility to all aftermarket amplifiers

Line output converters can be added to the harness by custom order at extra cost.

This harness function is to completely replace the OEM amp, it cannot be used to complement the OEM amp with an aftermarket amp (as in, installing a sub/amp while keeping the OEM amp). The harness also cannot be modified in any way to drive the main power or ground of any aftermarket amplifier. Amplifier main power and ground connections are still required to be made directly to the battery.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #40
Franciebaby
Second Lieutenant
 
Franciebaby's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 328i AW prem,nav,sat,ca
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jackson, Ms

Posts: 296
iTrader: (1)

harness

well, I've been since June......never have delayed gratification that long. I guess I am going to wait another month also. Thanks for your hard work, Tecnic
__________________
2009 AW 328i saddle,zpp, sat, nav, ca, ipod
Franciebaby is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #41
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciebaby View Post
well, I've been since June......never have delayed gratification that long. I guess I am going to wait another month also. Thanks for your hard work, Tecnic
That little piece that you saw in that picture above (removed) took that long to be made that way, as finding the right company to make it at a price that we all can pay took 99% of the time... this was not as easy, quick or inexpensive as I thought.

Last edited by Technic; 01-09-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #42
haugejan
New Member
 
Drives: BMW E61 525
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norway

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

I've now got a uses amp for an E46 with Harman Kardon.



I then removed the connector:




Here you see the connector after removing it from the print card:




Here is the part number. This is impossible to order. I assume that this is the reason Technic go ahead and created on by himself.


Here is wiring diagram for the power and signal. This connector is the X10266 on the diagram:




I'm now going to soldier on RCA, speaker and remote on wiring to this connector. This is basically the same that Technic is creating and I would recommend buying it from Technic instead of creating one. I would be much easier.
haugejan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #43
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,981
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
That's exactly what I did some 5 years ago for my E46 M3, and it works fine. The problem is getting an OEM amp cheap enough to justify this route and the work involved in de-soldering that connector from the PCB and then soldering the wires to the connector itself...



That's the reason that I decided to go my own route and make it cheaper and easier to make...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #44
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The basic harness will have:

- 4 female RCA outputs (5V balanced signals from the OEM HU/iDrive)
- individually wired inputs to the front/rear/underseat woofers, with matching OEM wire colors and printed labels for quick identification
- OEM 12V remote turn on signal thru relay for voltage compatibility to all aftermarket amplifiers

Line output converters can be added to the harness by custom order at extra cost.

This harness function is to completely replace the OEM amp, it cannot be used to complement the OEM amp with an aftermarket amp (as in, installing a sub/amp while keeping the OEM amp). The harness also cannot be modified in any way to drive the main power or ground of any aftermarket amplifier. Amplifier main power and ground connections are still required to be made directly to the battery.
I can't even tell you how in I am for one of these! Might even make me change my plans so I can run some rear speakers since the Bit One doesn't have enough outputs for a 3-way front stage, subs, and rears (even if I do the rears passively). I guess a semi-active front and passive rears might be in order.

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by quality_sound; 01-12-2010 at 04:59 AM.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST