E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > brake install

01-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 bmw 335i

brake install

Hey everyone,

I bought a stoptech upgrade kit for my 335i. It is the lines, rotors, and pads. Since the lines are being installed that means fluids as well obviously.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there that would want to lend a helping hand on the install. I know I could pay someone to do it but I would really like to learn to do it myself seeing that I will be racing the car more often and needing to do it more often.

I appreciate any help,
JOe
335i 6spd manual/// jb4 G5 ISO/// DCI///KW///APex ARC-8s///5 inch IC///AR Dp's///E85///spec stage3, lw flywheel///inline e85 pump///corbeau seats-harnesses///straight piped/// stoptech brake upgrade///CPE CP///braille///lsd.... no interior

2008 Subaru Impreza dd
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Cloud9blue
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

If drive the car in rain and winter, and the rotors hasn't been replaced recently. There is a high chance that the rotors are rusted to the hubs, and there is just no easy easy way of taking it out with just some hand tools. My advise is that just take it to a shop for this time, and ask them to put a very very thin coat of anti-seize between the hub and rotor. It shouldn't take more than a hour on the lift for just pads and rotors. Brake lines are little trickier, since we have those mid lines wedged in the rear subframe. Read up on the DIY guides here, if you are not comfortable with doing that yourself, my advise is just to leave them out. I never find the SS brake lines to be any benefits from my experience. You are better off upgrading the brake guide bushings instead.

I don't know what's your track experience, but unless you are taking things really easy, those stoptech street performance pads are not going to cut it on our cars...

07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic Slip-on / Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
If drive the car in rain and winter, and the rotors hasn't been replaced recently. There is a high chance that the rotors are rusted to the hubs, and there is just no easy easy way of taking it out with just some hand tools.

I don't know what's your track experience, but unless you are taking things really easy, those stoptech street performance pads are not going to cut it on our cars...
hey man,

the car hasnt been in winter for a few years. just chillen in the garage. I know the kit isnt ideal. I bought it a few years back and never installed because I have been debating on a bbk but I have decided a lsd this spring instead of a bbk so i figured why not install and get some use out of it.
335i 6spd manual/// jb4 G5 ISO/// DCI///KW///APex ARC-8s///5 inch IC///AR Dp's///E85///spec stage3, lw flywheel///inline e85 pump///corbeau seats-harnesses///straight piped/// stoptech brake upgrade///CPE CP///braille///lsd.... no interior

2008 Subaru Impreza dd
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Cloud9blue
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlombar5 View Post
hey man,

the car hasnt been in winter for a few years. just chillen in the garage. I know the kit isnt ideal. I bought it a few years back and never installed because I have been debating on a bbk but I have decided a lsd this spring instead of a bbk so i figured why not install and get some use out of it.
See my edited post above. Get some real race pads (PFC, Pagid, etc.), and swap them out after track days. BBKs are nice but just way to expensive for what it is; stock brakes with good race pads is more than adequate for most tracks.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
See my edited post above. Get some real race pads (PFC, Pagid, etc.), and swap them out after track days. BBKs are nice but just way to expensive for what it is; stock brakes with good race pads is more than adequate for most tracks.
ok thanks man

2008 Subaru Impreza dd
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [4.14]
that'll be a fun little upgrade. i'd help you out but swamped for the next few weeks.

i'm planning on getting ebc yellow stuff pads, rotors and SS lines.
      01-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #7
mojobmw_e90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

just did my brakes last week.went with stop tech slotted rotors,stop tech pads,with fluid and ss lines and big improvement over stock.only issue now is my asa winter rims/tires can't clear the caliper due to a lot of meat on the pad.

its a very easy job,just be patient and take your time.
      01-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #8
giovanniv
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 e93

I just ordered some hawk pads with ecs Geomet cross drilled/slotted rotors so we will see how they perform. Couldn't pass them up for the price, i'm sure they will be noisey but I don't mind
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Spec Dan View Post
that'll be a fun little upgrade. i'd help you out but swamped for the next few weeks.

thank you all for the encouragement. I appreciate the offer man. Sadly I just tore all of the ligaments in my wrist and now have surgery tomorrow so unless you want to do it yourself im SOL for two months haha but I will def. hit you up in two months if that is cool.

2008 Subaru Impreza dd
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [4.14]
Quote:
thank you all for the encouragement. I appreciate the offer man. Sadly I just tore all of the ligaments in my wrist and now have surgery tomorrow so unless you want to do it yourself im SOL for two months haha but I will def. hit you up in two months if that is cool.
too much alone time? i kid, i kid.
if it's something you need ASAP, i'd just bring your car over to LukeG Werkshop. you could watch as he goes through the swap.
      01-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
too much alone time? i kid, i kid.
if it's something you need ASAP, i'd just bring your car over to LukeG Werkshop. you could watch as he goes through the swap.
hahahaahaha right... just told the woman she has to add one more thing to her list to do at night hah

im not sure if I ever got a text back from him. and its nothing needed too fast, waiting for spring to get the car out.

2008 Subaru Impreza dd
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #12
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [4.14]
Quote:
hahahaahaha right... just told the woman she has to add one more thing to her list to do at night hah

im not sure if I ever got a text back from him. and its nothing needed too fast, waiting for spring to get the car out.
he's been pretty busy lately. give him a ring. he's a super cool dawg.
      01-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
LukeG
Rep
Drives: 09 128i and 03 ZHP

Quote:

I believe we left off where I said I would need the car brought to my garage and that I was unable to come to you to do the swap. I can knock it out for you if you can bring it by.

Best of luck with the surgery :/
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #14
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeG View Post
I believe we left off where I said I would need the car brought to my garage and that I was unable to come to you to do the swap. I can knock it out for you if you can bring it by.

Best of luck with the surgery :/
luke, u are right sorry about that. How much did u want again?

2008 Subaru Impreza dd
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #15
LukeG
Rep
Drives: 09 128i and 03 ZHP

No worries! I sent you a text.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

hey man the offer to help out still there? I just got my car back to the house.

2008 Subaru Impreza dd
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #17
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: 2002 Lexus GS300

Garage List
we should have a brake day install day.. i need to put my ohlins and bbks in

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #18
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [4.14]
Quote:
hey man the offer to help out still there? I just got my car back to the house.
i should have a saturday or two open in march and april.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
we should have a brake day install day.. i need to put my ohlins and bbks in
ohh, i've never done ohlins but i installed the eibach springs in my e90 as well as koni yellows+H&R's on an e82. granted, i had air tools available to me.
      02-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #19
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i should have a saturday or two open in march and april.

ohh, i've never done ohlins but i installed the eibach springs in my e90 as well as koni yellows+H&R's on an e82. granted, i had air tools available to me.
Sooner the better for me man. I have air tools at my place. We can do it at my place
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #20
giovanniv
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 e93

I'll be doing my brakes, installing cp pipe, dci, front lip, possibly m3 control arms sometime next week!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #21
jlombar5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanniv View Post
I'll be doing my brakes, installing cp pipe, dci, front lip, possibly m3 control arms sometime next week!
thats one heck of a list too.

i need to do
brakes
harnesses
passenger seat
brake duct cooling
cp
lower car since so much weight has come out haha

let the fun begin

2008 Subaru Impreza dd
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #22
Cloud9blue
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thats one heck of a list too.

i need to do
brakes
harnesses
passenger seat
brake duct cooling
cp
lower car since so much weight has come out haha

let the fun begin
Get these while you are at it and thank me later I just put those on both axles and totally stiffen up the pedal feel. The most cost effective mod I have done so far.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerw...e-kit-p46.aspx

Make sure you do both axles together. I did my front first since the bimmerworlds first sent me the wrong parts for the rear bushings. Didn't notice a huge change at first, since there were still a lot of play due to the rear rubber bushings. Once I did the rear last weekend, it changed the pedal feel dramatically, even with the textar pads I am running for the winter.

Appreciate 0